GT Sport Season 6 Division 4

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Easyprey007

Easyprey007 Professional

PSN ID
    Easyprey007
  2. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    You mean this?
    Tristan Jones likes this.
  3. VARDZ

VARDZ World Champion

PSN ID
    HTO_VARDZ_99
    Lads if I make it I make it. There is plenty to do after I get home that I will need to get done before I even think about turning the PS4 on
  4. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    We will leave it at the normal time. As vardz has mentioned , if he makes it he will.
    VARDZ likes this.
  5. Antmeg26

Antmeg26 Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    antmeg26
    hey Johnno, not good enough for your team this season?:cry:... just won my first race in 6 seasons:cool:
    Matthyus likes this.
  6. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Way to go Ant. Persistence pays off on the end :cool::alien:
    Antmeg26 likes this.
  7. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    I ran the teams champ as GT Sport only this time around would be why
  8. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Yeah what hat said:(
  9. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    @Kephin_07 even though your qualifying lap was decent, I feel like starting you here would be good for your first race.
    If you do really well, we can think about mid-season promotion
  10. Kephin_07

Kephin_07 Rookie

PSN ID
    BiGkEv_87
    Too easy, mate. Can't wait!
    Tristan Jones and Matthyus like this.
  11. Turtle

Turtle New Recruit

PSN ID
    Fast4aturtle
    Cannot make tonight..Sorry
  12. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Round 2 results
    Qual
    [​IMG]
    Race Results
    [​IMG]
    Race Timings
    [​IMG]
    RAE DSC - 1.16.363
    Buster_Danis, T F Eccles and Hatfield like this.
  13. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    That would have to have been one of the most intense races I've had.
    @VARDZ you made me work like I've never worked before. Back and forth for pretty much all 35 laps. First time for me to perform racing overtakes, now hoping that I didn't dive bomb or mess you up. First time blocking as well, thanks @Hatfield for the tips:D
    Managed to keep the tires on the track the entire time, so that was a win.
    Kudos to Vardz and @Kephin_07 on your podium finishes.
    Kephin_07, Pubs16, REVO_Bryan and 3 others like this.
  14. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Practice
    I knew that from experience that Big Willow will require a different strategy to other tracks, basically requiring full concentration for its race duration. I actually managed to get some practice early on in the week, hit some very solid times, beyond what I would consider my pace. However as the week progressed, by concentration faded / waned and I was lucky to string 5 laps together without running off the track....
    I also found out that @VARDZ was going to be the man to beat on the day. Queue pending mental dread in having to 'battle' and keep my wits about me!! On a track I despise almost as much as N24. However, he had advised he might not be available to race. Glimmer of hope.
    Managed to slot comfortable RH (1.15 - 1.16) and RSS (1.14), so just needed to find the right strategy.
    Additionally, we got another new racer @Kephin_07 (big Kev), whos qual entry pace is 'D2', so this was an unknown element to the race.
    Luckily come Sat, I was able to get my normal full race prac in and found the strategy that worked for me.
    Pre-Race
    Hopes dashed, as @VARDZ was one of the first to enter the room... Gotta get that game face on!!
    Managed to slot a quick set of qual laps in and hit a nice 1.16.2
    Qual
    Got out nicely with space.
    Got to work on slotting my laps and @VARDZ and I were bouncing first and second. @Kephin_07 managed to sneak in front of me by .1 with @VARDZ .05 behind me. Top of the ladder was very tight.
    Race
    Got off to a good start, as it seemed most did.
    I had to mentally yell at myself to keep it steady as lap 1 nerves were killing me. So many close calls on that first lap!!
    Managed to keep 2nd for a couple of laps, but managed to sneak past @Kephin_07 to take the lead. @VARDZ took @Kephin_07 not long after.
    @VARDZ caught me and we battled for what seemed like forever. I even managed to throw up a couple of blocks :)
    Alas, he got a better exit on the long straight and blew past me at some point.
    We battled for a bit, but @VARDZ went a bit wide on the last corner on lap 15, perhaps forcing an early pit stop.
    I kept on going as my strat was to change tires on lap 20, but I kept an eye on @VARDZ behind me and knew he would quickly eat into my time buffer.
    And he did, so I pit on lap 17, with ~ 9s gap. Popped out of pits basically next to @VARDZ
    He took the lead for the next 10 laps, with me attempting to pass, but him keeping me in my place. I was looking for gaps or minor errors to give me an edge, but he wasn't giving up. Damn you!! :D
    Eventually an minor error was made at around lap 29, Vardz hit very minor inside dirt at the top of the hill, then became a little unsettled on his exit of the same corner. I had a perfect entry an exit to it and overtook on the outside / inside of the kink. It didn't feel smooth, in fact I almost decided to give it back as I felt it was too pushy.
    After that, I pulled away, not sure if slightly more worn tires or just knackered from having to battle at Big Willow all race.
    Kept it clean and tidy to take my first win of the Season!!

I've been meaning to wear a heart monitor for a race, just to see how high my heart rate gets too. This race I could feel my heart thumping it's little heart out. I reckon somewhere in the 90 - 100 range or higher. Resting is ~50.

Kudos to @VARDZ and @Kephin_07 on your podium finish.
    On to next week, the dreaded Sprint round.

Thanks to all of the racers who joined in. I know that Big Willow is a tough track, but to the ones that stuck it out, Well done.
    REVO_Bryan, Hatfield, incey and 5 others like this.
  15. Kephin_07

Kephin_07 Rookie

PSN ID
    BiGkEv_87
    Cheers, guys, I had an absolute blast!
    I still can't believe I binned it at turn 9, I was looking forward to some strategy games coming into play towards the end :(

Enjoyed a good, hard fought battle with Fezza and Jonesy until he copied my race line into turn 9 on the last lap.

Pretty keen to see what the sprint round brings next week. 1 round in and loving it so far :thumbsup:
  16. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    Spewin!!!

I had third...then threw it away on the last corner and came 5th.

Aside from that awful feeling of letting yourself down...no-one elses fault...i did actually have an awesome race. Plus I eventually turned (crisutunity) my mistake into a lesson - I have seen myself do this a few times - as soon as the pressure is over...I crash/ buckle.

I had about 4 race distances of practice this week, much better than my usual half tank of fuel etc. Tried a few different strategies, RSS or RS, pitting at lap 15 or 20 seemed to be the go, could have gone either way depending on what was happening in the race. Seeing others going in earlier than 20, I knew they would probably have undercut so I went in at 18 instead of 20, not worrying about them having more grip than me at the end.

I had a great battle with @fezza at the start - try as I might I just couldn't get by - he simply moved in front and I didn't dare push hard enough to go around. I eventually worked out I was a bit quicker on the first section and started to plan how to get around. He pitted before me, so got a bit of an undercut, and when I pitted he came out just in front of me. Had another battle, and I eventually got past him.

After that I saw @Kephin_07 was gaining quickly, though still 6 seconds behind - but then Fezza came to my rescue, overtook him and held him up for me for a while! I figured that wouldn't last, and with 10 laps to go he needed more than a second per lap - I couldn't remember where he pitted, if he had more grip than me or not? I went hard, though he got past Fezza and was making enough time to catch me. At lap 32 suddenly stopped being quicker than him around the long turn 2...I looked at my tyres and saw why, lots of wear! Desperately trying to block while not running him off the road, quite the challenge, though I know it is hard to get by here anyway! He made a slight mistake and i saw dirt behind me and felt the pressure get relieved, didn't even notice he was only a second or two behind me - I thought he had spun. Took a quick second to look around - and went off on the last corner....couldn't believe it!! Tried to use lots of lock to not spin...no such luck. Pressed Handbrake instead of Reverse with an upside down wheel couldn't see why I wasn't moving. After an age I got back on track...but not until after BikKev and Fezza both got past me. Devasted!

fezza, Matthyus, Pubs16 and 3 others like this.
  17. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Epic racing there Jonesy, galling to lose a podium like that.
    Matthyus, Tristan Jones and Noxrai like this.
  18. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    The very meaning of the word! I was left with nothing but to channel that energy and change it to something else. So I chose to learn a lesson instead.

It was quite juxtaposed emotion, feeling so elated to have amazing close and hard fought battles with Fezza and Big Kev...only to come undone at my own hand.

Fezza pushed really hard...well within his rights...I did push him off track and redress at one point - he went off next corner at his own hand though...i did consider another redress but thought I was just too far behind him for me to have been the cause of the second off. All good Fezza?

I felt guilty holding Big Kev up...he had definite pace on me pre race - but I figured in the last few laps tyre strategy etc counts just as much as everything else...get past me if you can!

I had every intention of letting Vardz walk past, as he came out of pits just behind me - I knew he had pace on me and fresh softs, and wasn't going to stand in the way - though he didn't catch me quite as quick as I thought he would, and I was just about to lift on the back straight...then he lifted and tucked in...so down the front straight I was going to make sure he got past...he didn't leave me a choice in the end anyway!

@Dazza83 had pace on me last race, and was right behind me for a while, chomping at the bit...i managed to hold him off, not sure I would have lasted too much longer - was a pity to see him sliding off that last corner early on...after watching the replay, looks like I gave you a bit of a squeeze early on in lap 3...or were you just committed too far to the inside?

Looking forward to another season full of challenges!
    fezza likes this.
  19. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I feel for you Jonesy, That was heart renching to see that 3rd spot slip through your fingers..
    aranteamo likes this.
  20. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    I had the same situation mid race. @Luke was on fresher tires than me and closed on me. I didn't want to panic and new that I would probably have healthier tires towards the end of the race and would be looking to repass him then if I let him by. My attitude wasn't pass me if you can but you shall not pass. I made sure I took deliberate atention to not leaving a gap and though it was costing time I new it had to be done to get the win. It paid off once his tyres were more worn than mine and then I just managed the gap.
    Matthyus and LennonLegend1993 like this.