GT Sport Season 8 Division 3

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    I was just short shifting. Lifting for 50m sometimes into the heavy braking zones. It's one thing i have been trying to work on the last season or so. @Bryan_F really inspired me
  2. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Short shifting, about 1/2 way across the rev bar, coasting for say 1/2 a sec into the big braking areas. Lap time remained consistent in the low 2:01s, 2:00s. In the first stint I sat behind @Tristan Jones and @fezza for 3 or 4 laps a they battled and that saved more so that by the time I pitted at 18 laps I had another 1.5 in the tank. Tyres were more worn in the first stint than the second.

In the second stint I got 19 laps with 0.7 as I pitted on lap 37. In hind sight I should have pitted as scheduled on 36 and had a shorter fill - I may have then passed Jonesy in the pits. Still I managed to improve my place by one and had no offs.

I no longer fear the mountain, just now need to work on Forrest elbow, the one corner I couldn't get consistently right - like 1 in every 8.
    Easyprey007, Noxrai and Matthyus like this.
  3. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    lol, bunny :D
    The Mountain has never been a strong track for me, but last night everything just sort of clicked. First time this season where it has all come together and I still only get a 6th...
    So happy that strategy really became a thing, compared to the other races where it doesn't play as big a deal. You raced well mate and should be proud of the efforts that you put in.
    I'm still kicking myself for over driving in the last stint, I think I would have had a chance to take that 4th spot.
    Noxrai likes this.
  4. Ozglenn

Ozglenn Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    ozglenn0513
    I was on fuel map 2 and short shifting turned it up for the last stint and had a crack but it was getting a bit tight so I eased off for the last lap finished with .1
    Noxrai likes this.
  5. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    So, That's why I was not being left in your dust trails. Makes sense now.
    Ozglenn and Noxrai like this.
  6. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
  7. LE_bananajosh

LE_bananajosh Team Driver

PSN ID
    GT_bananajosh1
    It is close between myself and @GT_macneil29 for the championship
  8. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    That went better than expected!

Was getting my hopes up having a couple of practise runs, and finding no awful surprises that sometimes happens with particular cars at the track (just ask @Matthyus about the R8 at Bathurst!) - the dipper was slower than some cars but not uncontrollable. Found out early on that a 2 stop might be possible - shifting at 3/4 didn't seem to lose pace, and still got 16 laps. Shifting at half seemed to improve lap time! I had an optimum under 2:00 before race day, seemed to be a good sign.

Managed a qually condition PB of 2:01 on the second lap of qually - putting me in 5th, wondered how long I would stay there. I managed to shave a little off that lap, but still ended up 11/14 - I was starting to wonder about everyones pace - but knew I still had a likely 1 x 40 second stop advantage over at least some of the field.

So knowing how important fuel was, I decided to engage @fezza in a tooth and nail fight for a few laps. When I dropped back, i would easily close the gap, but to stay close was costing fuel. However, without staying close I couldn't capitalise on anything - the couple of moves I made were undone by the next corner. I saw @T F Eccles sitting back there enjoying the show! I was tempted to make a pass at the cutting, have seen a relative advantage up the hill, but misjudged and put Fezza lightly into the wall - as I let him past Colin also got by. Another little mistake and @VARDZ (or Lennon?) made it past me, then made a heroic pass on Fezza at the chase, including side by side contact and drifting - well done to both for sticking it! I want to get a look at the replay for that!

As the leaders pitted for their 3 stop, I caught Pat - and found on low fuel, I could almost keep up - except that he would grow the gap by a good half second at Forrest's elbow - I almost tried pushing it to get it faster but I had a good rhythm going, which I knew was so important here. Col and I noticed @Easyprey007 was dropping back after pit stops - the pit strategy ended up being the difference I think! I got hopeful when I saw Vardz pit with 10 laps to go, at only 40 seconds in front of me - but of course with 10 laps to go he didn't need a 40 second pit stop, and came out 20 seconds in front of me. My first fuel stint was marred by my battle with Fezza, so accepted doing 17 laps, running out of fuel halfway down the pit entrance, closer than I planned! I was very fuel concious after that and easily hit my 18 lap target on the next stint, with 0.8 laps left - thought about pushing for another but why risk it. I had saved so much fuel I thought that since I only need to do 17 on the last stint I was letting the gears rev right out - then with 3 laps to go I saw I had 2.4 laps of fuel...and realised what I had done - so I started coasting into corners, and shortshifting down the hill - cost me a few seconds, but made it with 0.0 fuel left!

Well done to all, another bathurst under the belt...
    fezza, Noxrai, Buster_Danis and 4 others like this.
  9. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    OP Updated:
    Round 6: Monza - 26 laps - 12:00 - 8/9
    Round 7: Red Bull Ring Wet - TBA laps - TBA Time - 15/9
    Matthyus and Tristan Jones like this.
  10. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    No sausage kerbs!!
  11. T F Eccles

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Ach, zat is der wurst!
    JonoStan96, Buster_Danis and Matthyus like this.
  12. LennonLegend1993

LennonLegend1993 Team Driver

No sausage curb was lap 1 chicane of death still :roflmao::poop:
    Matthyus and Noxrai like this.
  13. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Ah the memories
    LennonLegend1993 likes this.
  14. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    True, but I still prefer it over the Sausage Kerb of flip your car off
    LennonLegend1993 likes this.
  15. LE_bananajosh

LE_bananajosh Team Driver

PSN ID
    GT_bananajosh1
    No Spain. YES
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  16. T F Eccles

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    While I'm a little disappointed with my current standing in Div 3B and more than happy with my outright standing in Div 3.
    Matthyus likes this.
  17. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I'm highly surprised by my standings in Div 3 myself.
    Not to burst our bubbles here though, there are several fast racers who have missed a few races so it is hard to make a decent comparison.
    Noxrai likes this.
  18. LennonLegend1993

I'm also surprised by my position!
    Turns out I can't drive this car!
    Matthyus and Noxrai like this.
  19. T F Eccles

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Oh boy!, you wait til you try in the wet at RBR.
    I had a go last night, eeek! Had to turn TCS on, initially at 3 then down to 2. The one ray of hope was that after a few laps I was within 1 sec of @JonoStan96's laps that he did in his initial laps in his assessment video. It's going to be interesting to say the least.
    Noxrai and JonoStan96 like this.
  20. LennonLegend1993

Surely we are using W tyres though? @JonoStan96