GTS S9 - Fastest Laps & Race Times

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Matthyus, Oct 29, 2019.

1. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    Nope, got delayed
  2. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    I like pre-qually idea, in your own time in an online lobby with correct settings. Need to run a 10 lap stint at round 1 track and submit screen shots of all lap times and then work out average of the flying laps rather than fastest. That will be a better measure of overall race pace. If you want to cheat to get yourself in the desired division then you're not doing yourself any favours anyway. I doubt many would, but maybe I'm too trusting
    Max Gassit likes this.
  3. Apex_64

Apex_64 Professional

PSN ID
    apex_64
    This will always cause problems through sandbagging or being a flog like me.
    When I joined for qualification lap I just jumped in the car and did a lap, I even left traction control on. Just no thought from me behind it, that I should be trying to crack out my fastest possible lap, I was assessed as Div2/3 until a few who knew my name at ROOZ from Time Trials, assessed me as Div1. No intent from me to be lower as Hat will testify I never want to race in Div2 as I would rather come last in Div1 (that was until I did :giggle:)

Love 5 race season.
    Less is MORE.
    Maybe a 5 round Enduro Championship, run over the "gaps" in the 2 semesters/2 regular seasons.
    *With no enduros in main 5 race season.
    Sorry, keep spewing out :poop:
    Max Gassit and incey like this.
  4. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    My thoughts on this....nothing concrete yet.

@Matthyus confirmed for me that the reason we have Divs is due to the room/lobby limitations of GTSport. Obviously if we could have one big room we would and wouldn't that be fun. But we're stuck with Divs for the moment so need to work with that.

[A side thought here...divs that varied each week would throw up some organisational challenges e.g. room hosts; do you continue with divisional champions?; what affect would that have on the BJH ROC?]

Overall a longer season, say 10 rounds, in which your top 7 results count. Allows people some flexibility for absences etc.

Notwithstanding working out the practicalities how this works:
    • Pre-qualifying a day or two before race day of 1 out lap, 1 hot lap with no tyre wear, no fuel burn. Maybe run some official quali sessions, 30 mins max or something. Participation in quali confirms your race entry.
    • Results of pre-quali used to populate div rooms.
    • Race day
      • pre-quali time sets grid order for short quali race, say 3 to 4 laps, no tyre wear or fuel burn.
      • Main race grid order results from pre-quali race with specified tyre wear and fuel burn etc.
    Or... as above without the short quali race.
    Xtr3meNZer and Max Gassit like this.
  5. Viperzed

Viperzed GT7 League Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    This is one of the better ideas I've read by logistically it can become rather difficult for other drivers to find time to pre qualify. Personally my focus is on FIA Saturday night and I normally don't touch Rooz until Sunday morning. Might be a good idea to play with tho
    Max Gassit likes this.
  6. Max Gassit

Max Gassit Team Driver

PSN ID
    Max_Gassit_28
    I like the idea of filling each division, with the flexibility of moving up or down each round. Perhaps a points ranking system is available along the lines of the GTsport Driver Rating. With just one championship points table but 'graded' sub-champs. The cream will always get to the top.
  7. Max Gassit

Max Gassit Team Driver

PSN ID
    Max_Gassit_28
    Meaning Lobby 1 fills with 16,then the next and so on, the final lobby may end up with less entries.
  8. Jamie

Jamie Rookie

PSN ID
    Moozer81
    I had issues running a karting championship a couple of years ago where we had multiple divisions and some drivers wanting to win div2 instead of coming 10th in div1. We worked out a system to try an incentivise the racing and let the championship sort itself out at the end. Goes something like this;

1. Each round has pre-qualify: Pick a format that would work for us. 10 min qual might not be enough for this system if people make mistakes so maybe one of the average laptime ideas)

2. The top 12 go into the Div1 race, then next 12 into Div2 etc: This is for each round.

3. Points are awarded top down: ie. Winner of Div 1 gets say 100 points, second in div1 gets 96.....12th in div 1 gets about 74 points. Then the winner of Div2 would get 72, second in Div2 68 etc etc. That does mean that you can never score more points than what is offered in your division, which would make qualifying for a division race very important, hence the need for a good system there. You could still run bonus points for fastest laps, most positions gained etc.

4. Race of Champions: At the end of 5 rounds, the top 12 could have a night with say 3 sprint races at different tracks to determine the Division 1 champion. Similar for the next 12 drivers for Div 2.

Not a perfect system but hopefully some ideas for thought. The focus is then more on racing people of similar skill/speed on any given track on each given night.
  9. Mightymurph51

Mightymurph51 Rookie

I kinda like this idea tbh^
  10. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I'm liking the fact that the options / topics being discussed are the ones that have been discussed:D
    It means we are / were on the money

The issue was when can qualification occur.
    In my original discussion post, if we made each alternate Sunday Qualification (the day chosen for its availability for having the most numbers) , then have the race every other Sunday (Qual, Race, Qual, Race, etc).

Weekday Qually didn't work due to low availability of people. We ended up having multiple qually sessions across several days and the admin was a nightmare.

This along with the higher points (previously discussed and tested in the Test Season), additionally with background divisions (like now)
    Yes, I'll have to do 1 additional chart, woot!

For End of Year events / Prizes, I will take a stab that the 'division winners' will still receive an additional ticket for the prize draw and entry into the ROC. Perhaps overall gets an extra one?

By extending the season across 2 school terms, or shortening it to 5 races to allow for 4 Seasons a year, that can be discussed and refined. Using the above method, a season will take 10 weeks.. If you split it over a semester, you could reduce the amount of races to still allow room for other events. WET, TITTS, or other new ones?
  11. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    What if the qually week is to qualify for the races over the next two weeks. i.e.

first week qualify for races 1 and 2,
    second week race 1
    third week race 2
    4th week qualify for races 3 and 4
    5th week race 3
    6th week race 4
    7th week qualify for race 5 and 6
    8th week race 5
    9th week race 6
    10th week we just split the field based on the data from the first 6 rounds and have a final round 7 enduro. Points for each round awarded so that being in the higher group gets more points than those in the subsequent groups.
    We could take two rounds out of it and make it a 5 race schedule over the usual 7 weeks.
    Just have to work out an effective scoring system.
    Easyprey007, Matthyus and Jamie like this.
  12. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    We could make week one three 15 qualifying races for the first 3 rounds and use the lap times to sort rooms. That way the first three races would take 4 weeks, the second 3 races would take 4 weeks and the enduro final would make it nine weeks all up.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Easyprey007 and Matthyus like this.
  13. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    That's putting the thinking cap on! !
    Easyprey007 likes this.
  14. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    It dosnt give ppl the time to do a lot of practice for their qually, but as long as tracks are announced well in advance it shouldn't be too bad
  15. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Did you mean three 15 minute races?

I was thinking that we could try F1 style qualifying. Thoughts?
  16. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Round 6 updated
  17. GT_macneil29

GT_macneil29 Rookie

PSN ID
    Macneil_29
    It's never a bad thing having a couple faster guys in the lower divs it pushes the slower guys harder I learnt more chasing Josh in my first season then anything else
    UrsineSaturn9 likes this.
  18. Easyprey007

Easyprey007 Professional

PSN ID
    Easyprey007
    Going to have to agree to disagree on that.
    Ozglenn likes this.
  19. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Round 7 updated
  20. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Excellent, there were more drivers in the final race than there were for round 1.
    Hatfield likes this.