Hello from a new GT6'er

Discussion in 'New Members' started by DoogleDave, Dec 16, 2013.

1. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Howdy all,
    I just got GT6 on the weekend and am only just getting back into playing this since the original GT (on the PS1 - yes it has been a while).
    Not sure if I'm up to racing in a league as yet (I only have the dual shock controller, no wheel and pedals) and am still getting back into the swing of things but am really enjoying it so far.

Out of interest, are there any casual races or practise sessions that one can participate in - to improve and have a bit of fun?

I tried joining a few online rooms yesterday and perhaps I don't know the correct ettiquette yet but race configs seemed to keep changing on me like they were trying to get rid of me (as I'd select a car and then not long after the PP setting would change to "just under" what my car was running), etc. Once I was blocked from a room (not sure why as I was pretty much the only one driving around the track during practice) and on one occasion I had the 3 other drivers on course all drive the wrong way around the track and crash into me a couple of times.

So it would be nice to find some genuine people out there who are willing to give a relatively newbie a go...
    Cheers guys (and gals)...
    Dave
  2. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Hi Dave,

Welcome to Raceonoz.

Mate we can certainly lead you in the right direction. All a great bunch of guys to race against, without fear of getting punted off, booted or crashed into.

We have a wide range of drivers here, so you can cut your teeth with them in league races, or just practice sessions. We have a core group of guys that are on GT6 most nights so its just a case of meeting in a room, adding to your friend list, and joining when you are available. Once you are a member you are always welcome to join, and learn the ropes.

We are in the process of organizing our First GT6 season, after just finishing our 13th season with GT5....Here are the GT6 season 1 links, if you want to have a look. http://raceonoz.com/forums/gt6-league.35/

All the info you need will be in there, is a work in progress at the moment !

As for your level, as i said we have a wide range of drivers, and during the league series, everyone is split into lobbies according to their speed. That way you are fighting against drivers of "about" the same level, which makes it more enjoyable. As most have done, as you improve your speed you can move up to race the faster guys.

Add me on PSN : stuart170773

I will certainly be online a bit over the next few nights, generally from about 9:30 pm sydney time. We generally get 6 or 8 in a lobby, so will be a good chance to meet the guys. If you have a mic, you are more than welcome to use it, we all have a pretty good chuckle as we go !

Hopefully catch you soon mate

Stu
  3. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Hi Stu,
    Thanks for your reply. I was looking at the new GT6 league that is being put together but my only concern is not always being available each race night (family commitments etc).
    But for now I'd be keen to join in on some racing whenever I am free and some forum members are online and racing/practising (most likely Fri or Sat nights)....and who knows from there - LOL

I'll be sure to add you on PSN and look out for when you guys have a lobby open and will join in for some fun and a laugh (I don't have a mic and am still controller-bound - for now). My PSN name is the same as my forum name (DoogleDave).

Cheers,
    Dave
  4. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    No worries mate, sounds good.

Just a heads up, the sunday league runs for 7 rounds. While most drivers try to make most nights, there are a few of us that cant make each week, and do what they can. If you sign up, making 3 or 4 of the rounds wont be an issue at all.

@ with the mic, my first mic was a cheap bluetooth job from dick smith. Was only $20 bucks i think. "if" you are thinking of getting something a little more upmarket be sure to checkout the Turtle beach stuff ;)

@ controller, there are still a few guys using the controllers to play. Keep an eye on the shoutbox, "sometimes" guys will post if they see a great special on wheels etc from around on the web.

Looking forward to catching you on track mate.
    Stu
  5. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Cheers Stu, that sounds good re the Sunday League. I'll dip my toes in the water first before plunging in, but it certainly sounds interesting.
    The Wife isn't a huge fan of gaming so amongst spending the $'s on my other hobbies I'll slowly work my way towards getting a wheel, mic etc. All in good time (I hope) :)

Luckily for me, last year one of our supplier's at work had a catalogue launch and they had a racing simulator setup for their clients to play on with the chance to win a PS3 for getting the fastest lap time of the day - and lucky me drove the fastest time and went home with the prize....but it hasn't been used much until now.

Anyway, hope to join in on some races very soon....
    Cheers again,
    Dave
  6. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Should be good.

Might be in tonight, will keep an eye out.

Stu
  7. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Hi Dave. I know you said the wife wasn't keen on the whole thing but this is the cheapest and best value for money deal I've seen in a while.
    Its the same as what I use.

http://www.logitechshop.com.au/logitech-driving-force-gt-wheel.html

Worth a look anyway.

Welcome aboard too. As Stu said, there is a great bunch of guys here of varying levels of skill. Oh and then there's Warrior. He is just a freak of nature. No one should be that quick, and consistent. LOL. And HE uses a controller I'm pretty sure.
    Clevohead and Ad2mny like this.
  8. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Damn tb that's a bargain I paid twice that for the same thing lol. Welcome aboard Dave. You will not see many people going the wrong way here, and you will always know exactly which car to bring so there'll be no issues there either.

See you on track soon.
  9. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Cheers Tim.
    I was actually looking at that very wheel this arvo.....not a bad price either.
    Now just need to convince the other half of the purchase LOL

Hope to see you on the race track soon....and look forward to seeing Warrior blast around the track!

Dave
  10. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Same Jamie. I think I paid $180 for mine which was around $60 off the current price at the time, and I thought that was a bargin.

Only thing with a good wheel Dave, is you need something solid to mount it to. they can kick pretty good. In the first week of owning it I tried it just on my lap and, well........... It wasnt pretty. LOL
  11. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Thanks Tim, good advice! ;)

Also, hoping someone might be able to clarify what the difference is between the "Race for real" and "Race for fun" lobbies?
    I assume that the race for real lobbies are for those who are quite experienced at racing online and the race for fun are for newbies (like me)?

Dave
  12. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Generally I've found Race for Real lobby's are run by hitlers, but generally it's pretty straight forward racing with strict car rules etc. Race for Fun lobby's are like the ones you were talking about before, usually with lots of track and PP changes.

Sometimes you will find a good consistent room but generally if the room owner isn't winning it's sure to change.

Once you get a couple of ROOZ guys on your friends list you will only go to public lobby's if you're desperate or can't find any friends online.

You'll see soon enough
    stucar17 and S_CLOSE like this.
  13. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Amen brother!!!!
    stucar17 likes this.
  14. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Welcome Doogle,

I started with DFGT as pointed out by TB, and it is a good wheel, I picked up a student desk from Coles (Like this one: http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Desks/Student-Desks/OWALFIDBBK) during the school sales for $19 to mount it on, and it worked a treat, was just the right height for the couch, and I mounted the pedals to the lower shelf with double sided tape.

So you definitely don't need to spend a fortune.

Welcome again, and I hope to see you around the traps some time :)
  15. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR