IRACING iRacing General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Sep 11, 2011.

1. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Oi ... Stat-o Numan ... anything to add/change in respect to Paul's spinning Skip ... esp. seeing as I completely managed to miss things like rake (high SPO?) and stiff (high) ARB ... both of which (and in combination) can help the rear to break loose!?

Both you and the Cubis bloke have a couple of tenths on me this week ... it should be you boyz handing out the pearls o' wisdom ;)

I'm transitioning to zero-clutch (up > lift; down > blip) from auto-blip this week (relatively few gear changes at WG, so seemed a good opportunity) ... and it's hard to say for sure, but I think auto-blip also may play some role in having a twitchy tail (less direct driver input, perhaps) ... I already feel more stable (as well as being hopeful that I will find a few tenths as I get better at the down-shifting).
  2. Mad94d

Mad94d Madison Down

PSN ID
    mad94d
  3. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Ooop Mad's beaten me to it...
    Use promo code 'PR-2FREE' for the 3 months for $12. I'd go for that.
    Also View this topic as we've discussed additional costs and PC builds there.

Will be good to have you on board ;)

EDIT - OH and make sure you give your referral to someone! It gives them $10 credit, which is just a wasted opportunity if you don't refer when you sign up! *hint hint* :p
  4. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

:p

It's just gone 1.05pm here (Melb) on a Thursday ... I'm writing some stupid report ... and Mr M Down is racing !!!
    Come on clock ... do your thing !!!

;)
  5. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Hehe you got it pretty right. I'm running 56% BB at Watkins and have run higher at other tracks. But it all comes down to personal preference really.

Traditionally I'm a right foot braker, so I'm not very profficient in throttle braking and don't really use it. I find it's easy to over do it resulting in the front pushing wide. I am often faster just outright right foot braking. That's how I raced the 458 Ferrari race. But for the Skip I'm trying to stick with the left and learn. It will be easier with my new cockpit where there's no post I have bend my left leg around!

You're right about applying some throttle at turn in to keep the car stable. But also modulate that throttle application to let some of the lift off oversteer turn you towards the apex so you can put the hammer down early. And don't 'over brake' either, sometimes less is more.

Haha I know, super Jealous! Despite the two practise sessions I've not had time for a qual or race yet this week....
  6. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

I'm curious, Dave, how you manage that 'zero-input' phase (as mentioned above). I struggle with it. I instinctively want to use a corner-entry 'coast' on occasion, but find myself flirting with the slow-mo spin if I do. As a right-foot braker, is it a case of smoother inputs (on and off the pedals)?
  7. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Carefully! Yea smooth and don't turn in much until you're back on that throttle, and get back on the throttle quick! Try and be quick enough that there is no 'zero input' stage, learned this from Grand Prix Legends and got better with having to use clutch in GT5 and rFactor. You just gest fast at switching that right foot off the brake and onto the throttle.

But if you can manage just a little bit of corner entry drift it can often work out faster. Fine line between that and the 'slow-mo spin' though! Did quite a few of those in prac.

EDIT - Don't get the wrong end of the stick though. I am left foot braking in the Skip at Watkins, just not really any throttle braking as I've not mastered that enough to get any significant benefit. Even left foot braking I'm not 100% comfortable with yet. Reading that guide you linked though, sounds like there's a few top Skip drivers who do maintain right foot braking.
  8. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Cool, mate ... cheers for the insight :cool:

Prolly not a bad move switching to left-foot braking at this juncture, too, as the NTM (in it's current form) can come down hard on you if you use a little "corner-entry drift" ... certainly if use 'misuse' it! I got caught out bad-style at Lime Rock doing this in T1 ... after a few laps (approx. half race distance) I lost a stack of rear grip ... :mad:

Keep up the efforts, bro ... you can clearly RFB and be quick/competitive, and having another weapon (LFB) in your arsenal can only be a good thing ... plus, your LFB skills already have you 3/10ths quicker than me at WG :lol:
  9. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    Madison, cheers for that bud, I've something to ponder now.
  10. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

If you do try it just get the $5 for a month or $12 for 3 months trial. That gives you all the cars and tracks you'll need for the rookie series, then if you end up liking it you can by more content and renew. If you dont dont dig it dont renew or buy new cars you'll have only lost 5 or 12 bucks.

I usually pay my sub monthly which costs me $12, only cause I use Pay pal and there always stuff all money in there. Speaking of which my sub runs out on the weekend and I havent topped up my paypal funds yet.......Might be off for the week.
  11. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    So Stonemokey, How are you up-shifting? If your not already, try the "no lift/no clutch" method. Just hold your shift paddle down, and it will shift as soon as the engine reaches the limiter. Note you must release the paddle between each shift.
    I left foot brake (always have), and shift up using this method(only learnt it this week though). On down shift I blip, but not always :s

Setup is bemuzing me too. Last night I done two successive pb's arounnd watkins. First was running the #8 rear bar...then followed immediately by the #1 bar. with the #1 rear bar, I was picking up about .02 on the exit of most corners.... bizarre.
  12. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Hey Beau ... I'm doing a mix of up-shifts. I'm using your off-the-limiter method where I'm busy with track placement, and when I have time to think I'm using a small lift ... I've got a GI Max set to 6K rpm, and I use that to judge my lifts (can't see my dials with the FOV I'm currently using.

On the +8 or +1 ARB ... just quietly, I've thought for quite some time that (me personally) searching for a bombproof setup is a waste of time with this NTM ... it's just so difficult to evaluate any setup changes when tyre temps seem to be the limiting factor in grip, and that those temps are so variable (on the same lap even). That doesn't seem to stop me looking for some miracle numbers though ... I'm either an eternal optimist, or a mungin' retard ;)
  13. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Stonemonkey, your description of the behavior of the skip is perfect. If I had have written what its like to drive the skip it would have been the same.

Btw I have discovered that if you have an 'off track' that time is still counted as your best lap (for practice only). So when comparing times you can't rely on the practice times.
  14. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Outta ... are you sure about the 'off-track', mate ... interesting! I did notice that laps with an off-track do get registered on the in-session leaderboard, but then I thought they got thrown out at the end of that session (i.e. when the results were published to the Dasboard).

I'm actually a bit disappointed, as that news somehow takes a little shine off my stat surfin' ;)
  15. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

Hey next time were in a skippy practice session can I pinch I setup of someone?? Im naturally slow anyway so I'll never be able to use it against you :p I left foot brake btw not that Im good at just do it because I dont have a clutch pedal so its more comftable.

I usually just get setups from the forum as I have no idea what everything does.
    ATM Running 18psi front, 17.4 psi rear (cold)
    ARB 4

I read running 20 psi on the rears gives a little more stability on the forums.

Interesting reading anyway guys.

/appoligies for my broken english typing, when I was at school typing was for girls :) and ive had a few green teas.
  16. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

I'm naturally slow too, if I bun the 'erb and race and race at the same time ;)

Paul, my PB was achieved with BB 54; Tyres 17.4/19.0; SPO +3; ARB +5 ... but as we've been saying, I can pretty much change anything, and still come up with 10.3s & 10.4s. If I were you, mate, in the first instance at least, I'd leave the ARB as what I was used to (i.e. +4), swap your tyre pressure around, and see how you go. You will make up MUCH more time running laps and looking for consistency, than you will get from tweakin' & fiddlin' ...

... imho :)
  17. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

I'll try swapping the tyre pressures, Im happy to run low to mid 12's most of the race cause thats my pace.
    Last race I actually felt real good consistency wise but I got a stupid meatball 1st lap. Someone got loose in front and I couldnt dodge so we touched and I was flagged to stop for .5 seconds of repairs.....lol

Never had that.

Edit tried that set in a race, positive is I got a new race PB 11.5. Negetive I lost concentration to many times usually went like this ":):):):) im doing all right, o crap now im spinning". Got alittle damage then it didnt have the grip through the fast corners and I wrecked it. Disconnected, total driver error though. O well :p
  18. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Was going to buy some new content to take advantge of the $15 credit-back deal ending today.

Need some help deciding what to get, I'd like to get stuff you guys have, or if you have all of it, what do you rate?

• Mosport (for skip)[/*]
    • Road America (for skip)[/*]
    • Sebring (for and mustang, and possibly V8)[/*]
    • Spa-Francorchamps (for mustang)[/*]
    • Road Atlanta (possibly for V8, I'd have to purchase this car yet)[/*]

What you reckon is best two or three choices out of those?

EDIT - I'm thinking I'll get the Mosport + Road America + Sebring now, then use the $15 credit to get Spa-Franc next week.
    Done and done! :D
  19. Mad94d

Mad94d Madison Down

PSN ID
    mad94d
    I'd get six things personally. Cause then you get 20% off and the $15 dollar deal am I right?

I'd agree with Road America and Road Atlanta for participation reasons (they are used a lot). Spa, Sebring and Mosport are just all really challenging tracks for their own reasons. Spa is just spa.... Sebring has a night version which is pretty epic and Mosport has such a ridiculously high average speed.

Good choices I reckon. Biggest advice I can give.... Buy tracks before cars, which is what you seem to be doing.
  20. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

Can I say No one look at my stats :p, its kinda embarssing my SR has tanked since the start of this season. Well it all went down hill from week 13 actually, i was linned up for A then kinda tanked from there. Im gonna start not worry about racing and just going clean, I know I can do it when as ive raced that way before to get B.