IRACING iRacing General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Sep 11, 2011.

1. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Hehe @ tek :p yea mate focus on driving smooth and clean, the pace will follow.... try this out too...

I Jumped in and watched a race Mad was doing in the skip at Watkins. Viewed from his cockpit view for a couple of 2:09.8-ish laps, then from cockpit view of the driver behind. [who btw had the 'mad' quali time of 2:09.2xx!]

Then I jumped out on track (as a ghost car) and went head to head with Mad for about 6 laps.
    At first I had no lap timing up and had no idea how fast we were going. I got passed (just ghosted straight through) and managed to stay in front for a lap or two.

Checked the live splits with TAB and I ran a 2:09.4xx!! (previous best was a 2:09.7xx) Best thing is I know where the time is coming having watched mad for a couple of laps first. Optimum improved too.

Download iRacing native replay file: KoAStR vs Mad ghost racing

[h]iRacing top tip of the day: watch a faster driver![/h]

EDIT: well I still think I know where the time was, but just can't make it happen by myself ATM :/
    Plus you get almost double slip stream being able to ghost through somebody. But still, I was running high 2:09's in front.
  2. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Loving the Spec Racer at Laguna Seca. :D
  3. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Koastr you make me sick :D Stop finding time.

Going to try and do a race or two tonight after I blew my engine in the last race. I'm fairly certain I had the pace to challenge for third if all those other pesky cars weren't on track and I actually knew how to overtake.
  4. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I might join you!....If you don't mind?
  5. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Got a sweet quali time for the Spec Racer at Laguna last night. Unfortunately with races only every 2hrs there wasn't one at a convenient time... Oh well, at least I got time for a TT and the PB stands on record.

BTW Chris, the Spec Racer is an example of a car with lift-off oversteer that I right foot brake in 100%.
    I flat-(up)shift with the clutch, and heel-toe-blip on downshifts. Although the heel-toe is more out of habit than necessity, and it's great fun!

Love the G25's H-pattern-to-sequential stick converter dial, so I can still use the stick for both types of gearboxes.

'Stato-Numan' EDIT - whoa I've got the #1 TT and qual times in Australia! :D
    And Chris has a cracker TT too in at #5 for all years or #2 filtering for 2011 ;)
  6. keggz

keggz New Recruit

So I had my first iracing experience last night, first up I had problems with Firefox not loading/allowing iracing, or something a rather. IE8 saved my night with just a few clicks I had my hardware configured and g27 setup in a flash.

First impressions of the user interface were a bit whoa! Where do I click to race? Slightly overwhelming as I have mostly raced online with GT5, this is very easy use. rfactor which is also very simplistic and easy to navigate. I think one thing that I had trouble getting my head around, was the fact that the game was launched through a web browser, which displays loads of information. After a few minutes I had the general idea of what was going on.

So a few laps in the legends car (its like a sprint car on Tarmac) and a circuit that was like a massive skid pan, I found myself looking at the browser again. On to the MX-5 & Laguna Seca, what a Blast!! I found the MX-5 reasonably easy to drive, but still fun. Im having trouble with the shifting component, but I feel Im getting there; Ive only put in maybe 2 hrs if that! I have turned auto blip off (not even sure what this option does) as I am using clutch.

I also cut a few laps in the spec racer, completely different story with this car. Its a hand-full atm but Im sure with time things will improve. I am finding it more challenging then the MX-5 and I think thats why it appeals to me more +its faster!!

So I had a race as well, I sort of stumbled into it after clicking everywhere/selecting which series I thought I might have been eligible for, turns out It wasnt much. But alais the ford legends was about to kick off so I jumped in with 10 minutes warm-up remaining (could have been qualifying?) Started near the rear of the field, made contact on lap 2 or 3 with a car on the inside and I was in the wall. Limped back to the pits, 5 minutes repair time + 60s penalty race was nearly over.When I came back out it was like rinse and repeat.

Spent more time in the pits than on the track, I set my self-up to fail really, I knew I needed more practice but I was like a kid on Christmas Eve, I just had to have a look to see what it was like. Let me tell you it was good, VERY GOOD!!!!
  7. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Hey Stato ... I'm a little curious how I'd go in the SRF after a stint in the Skippy, but it'll have to wait ... she is fun though. Heel n Toe isn't a technique I've ever learned ... maybe one day ... but having just bought 2-pedal F1s, I won't be learning it soon (though I've got the big v8-style brake plate too, which I imagine is perfect for it).

Good job on the TTs, Dave :cool: I usually run one a week, but what's odd is that my rating just keeps falling (no matter how clean or fast my run) ... no idea why (?)

Edit: from the Sporting Code ... "3.2.1 ttRatings are a measure of proficiency in the Time Trial discipline and compare an individual drivers best average lap time at a particular track against the best recorded average lap time for the same car at that track". ... so I'm wondering if we're all up against OTM laps in the Skip? Seems feasible.
  8. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Great to hear the buzz in your post, keggz :D

There's a post somewhere (found it - http://raceonoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=8646#p8646) with everyone's details, so you can find other ROOZ boyz online ... just post your iRacing name here, so we can add you to our lists.

Use the forums as a source of info ... heaps of work has been done so that everyone doesn't have to re-invent the wheel ... demo laps, set-up, driving tips, etc ... enjoy :)
  9. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea good stuff Keggz. It's a real buzz when you start aye!

Once you get used to it the web-based launch and stats system is quite streamlined. I like it.

There's a more up-to-date list of iRacing drivers with Forum.vs.iRacing.name here

(I just went ahead and updated with all the iRacing names since most were already elsewhere on the forum anyway)
  10. keggz

keggz New Recruit

Cheers, well once i get some laps under my belt I might see you guys on the Track!!!
  11. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

That was a good read keggz, yea its easy for ppl to get frustrated or sick of this sim if you end up in the pits to often. You really have to take a different mind set into races and you really need to practice (which I hardly do, did a few this week though).

There are real life like consequences in this game. Part of my problem is I usually jump on all hoped up with no practice and just join the next race coming no matter what the car is, which was fine in the lower licences...its bitting me hard in in the higher races. Had about 4-5 truck races at talladega this week didnt finish one, only one of the wrecks was my fault though. The rest ppl not holding there lane or "the big one" you cant avoid. It kinda suxs if you wait an hour or 2 for a race and your wrecked in 5 minutes, then you have to wait hours for another shot.

All these other guys on here beau, koastr, mad ect ect are darn quick. One thing I'll say this game shows whos got it and whos hasnt pretty quick, me I dont have it :p Then you see real life racers like SVG and they get it pretty quick, world record pace aka ALIEN pace.

Anyway watched Beau, koastr and outta (you dustin?) In a Skippy race last night, very unlucky there dustin saw ya try dodge a koastr spin and get in the wall. Beau great battle with tha uwe alien dude, looked like you were gonna try a pass in the 1st few laps but thought better off it. He then got away a bit but you kept the pressure.

My sub has now run out, think im gonna have a break for a while try get abit fresher for it. Plus the BF3 open beta is coming soon :p

OH and keggz make sure you turn your spotter on FULL, its in options. When you join a race click escape you'll then see the options. The spotter tells you when someones inside/outside. I use some full honkey southern USA accent voice.
  12. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Good read too Tek. Would love to see some screen shots from your truck races. Especially any examples of 'the big one'!
    Good advice there too. I use the spotter for road and oval.

Outta = Dustin. I wasn't in that race, I think you mean Stonemonkey.
  13. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

Yes must of been stone, was unlucky cause it was near the end of the race and beau, stone, and outta were running in the top 5.

Dega suxs man its all luck and setup and dount glitching to get good qual times...its a weird rush though. Its so hard to pass high unless you get a good bumper driver behind, so most stay low. Problem is ppl dont control there draft and you cant bump with more than 2 cars, so when they try to bump with 4+ cars someone in the middle will get loose causing a massive wreck. Thats dega though, its drives like daytona on GT5 pretty much, cept its easier to wreck or loose it.
  14. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea the rFactor VHR mod trucks were like that. Dusty and I did a little bit of them. Setup is paramount and I'm not great at setting up for oval (yet). Luck is also a big factor. I got wrecked a few times through no fault of my own, always just as I'd finally got in a podium spot with just a few laps to go.....certainly a good white knuckle rush though, holding onto those beasts for grim death!

What is 'dount glitching'?
  15. keggz

keggz New Recruit

From what I have read they drive around in circles just befor starting the quaifly "flying laps" this "scrubs" the tyers gives them more grip, I think thats what it means.
  16. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Tek - Thanks mate, yes that Uwe fella is Uber fast. I was very annoyed with my performance that race. I had pace capable of sticking with him in previous races. I was just not on top of my game. Ran wide once or twice, and was just generally lapping slower then normal. Probably 2 tenths per lap slower then normal. The last time I raced him, I ran second by about 20 or so seconds. This time I managed to hold him to 4 seconds, so improving always.

Hope to see you on the track soon.
  17. Mad94d

Mad94d Madison Down

PSN ID
    mad94d
    Yeah. Basically if you do a few donuts or circles before your qual run it advantages you. However I think this only applies for Super Speedways (Eg Talladega and Daytona). It raises the tyre pressures and tire temps to optimal before you start. You get 4 laps in qualy and you run your first 3 at the very top of the race track as close as you can to the wall to gain maximum speed for the last lap (which ends up being your only fast lap).

Who would have though turning left is so technical. :p
  18. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Aha so Tek meant to write 'donut glitching'... that makes alot more sense now!
    Thanks for the insight keggz and Mad.
  19. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Yeah, it was me unfortunately. I'd been having a blast racing Andrew Cowell, and early-doors Dustin was right there too (I went back and watched the early laps from Dustin's cockpit - awesome stuff!). After a back-marker got between Andrew and me and broke the tow, I just dropped a little concentration, and well, you saw it :rolleyes:

Dustin did well to miss me ... I sat there waiting for a crunch, but he avoided me (which saved my race) :)

@ Dustin - It was an excellent effort on your part to miss the incident, but maybe think "ANCHORS" first, amigo ... having somebody pass you coz you came to a complete stop will not wreck your race! This is NOT a criticism ... it was ME who was lost it after all ... but scrubbing speed will almost always give to the best shot ... and then if you're like me, you will survive to throw it into the scenery later, all by yourself ;)
  20. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Yeah Stonemonkey, it was a good race. I think I made a few little mistakes which dropped me off the draft, but it was pretty intense for the first half of the race.

I would normally wipe off some speed in a hairy situation. I saw you go around and I was feeling quite comfortable because there is quite a bit of run off on that turn, so I just adjusted a little and kept on it. But I had to severely correct as I didn't anticipate the way you used your momentum to turn the car around the right way. Normally if you are taking off from stationary, the skip doesn't move that fast. If I had have kept low, it probably would have been alright.

No hard feelings. I backed up that race with 2 wins, so in the end it worked out pretty well.

Not feeling great about this weeks track though.