IRACING iRacing General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Sep 11, 2011.

1. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I was using it to see what temp range the skippy tyres work best at. on the NTM. Was inconclusive though
  2. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

need a set up for the Skip barbra and summit point. got 3 races to do in it to gt me quoter to complete D licence before weeks end. did 1 race badly and lost .20 xxp
  3. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Go lowest tyre pressure all around, lowest front ride height, about 52-56% Brake bias, set roll bar to suit - stiffer is probably faster but a little harder to manage. Ask Ribgy he's the Skip guru ATM. :)
  4. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Tar i'll do some testing on roll bar and set the rest as you sagest
  5. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

Lowest pressures = more grip ... BUT any sliding will raise the tyre temps more than if you run additional pressure ... and that's bad ... grip disappears, and stays away for longer!

To get a handle on the Skip, imho, you should probably start at 20 psi all round, and as you become more accustomed to how she drives, try 19s and then perhaps 18s ... but leave 17.4 alone ... it's for Alien's and hot-lappers ;)

BB is hard ... everyone has different pedals, some with load cells, etc, so advising BB can be misleading. Start at 58% and drive normally, and then try to shorten your brake zones. If you are locking up, then experiment at 57, 56, 55, etc. Remember though, as BB goes down, engine braking required (for same stopping power) goes up, and you can find the rear locking and coming around if you have any steering input.

SPO +0 or +1 works well with ARB +7 & +8, generally. On tracks without down-hill braking you can sometimes increase SPO (lower the front, increase camber) to get some more 'pointiness', but Summit Point is pretty bumpy, so personally I wouldn't bother.

Ian Bevan has a couple of guides ... and he knows his stuff ... heaps more than me ... I'm only just now starting to get to grips with the car :)

Guide: Braking and Changing Gear in the Skippy; and
    Skippy New Driver Guide: Tips and Advice

EDIT: I'm running BB 56%; F 18psi / R 18 psi; SPO +0; ARB +7 @ Summit Point (NB: I've got a load cell brake)
  6. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Thanks stone, i tried the lowest psi and roll bar @ 7 and found it better than standard and got through a time trial without running off the track, not super quick but steady for first timer on track and car. just need to get a copule of races in and i'll be out of the D
    I'll give your settings ago next TT.
    Appreciate the input guys, I'm a slow learner but i do learn.
  7. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Just excepted your friend request Bone's. 19 starts. You'r not mucking around
  8. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

9. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea locking on unloading is what I've experienced. So moved my bias back up to 56%. (same experience in GT5 as I usually run ABS off)

Mmmm that's crazy about the tyre pressures. I've not having alot of luck at this Summit point track. Especially since it's been a while since I've driven the skip. Best is a 22.9 and I don't think my optimum is even as good as your best lap there Rigby. Nice. ;) Note sure where I'm loosing / could gain the time.

BTW - METRIC UNITS PLEASE RIGBY - none of this imperialistic nonesense, get out of the stone-ages you monkey (hehe pun intended waap waaa!) You're not in England anymore..... Oh and get yourself on teamspeak. No excuses now, the details are published.

- Completely aside - Yeeeeooooooow AAAAALLL BLACKS. Get it up ya rest of the world. f*n Champions :D
  10. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    So the all blacks won the world cup................................anyone surprised?
  11. stonemonkey

stonemonkey Rookie

RWC ... don't know about surprised, but am glad, coz I hate the f*ckin' Frenchies (I might not be in England, but I am English) ;)

And I just can't fully cross-over to metric ... and not only coz a stack of SI units are French in origin ... but some things SHOULD just stay imperial ... like speed, power (vehicular), and penis size ... seriously, if you told a woman you were packin' 20cm of meat, she'd think you had an "inny" (like a belly-button) :lol:

Will try Teamspeak ... I've installed a client.
  12. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    After seeing how many MX-5 races Bones has done I was inspired to go back and try it again... What fun.
    I've only done 5 before moving on (partly Rob Racers fault :p). I qualified just shaving hundredths of my best time, a good effort I thought for only 20mins in the car after not having been at the wheel for ages. I was quietly hoping I'd improved as a driver since last in the MX-5 :D

In race it was stiff competition. Top split of four. Pole was 1:00.7 or something. Top 3 were over 4000 iRating. Eeep! I was 4th on the grid. Had the best race I've had since joining iRacing with this guy for 4th. We only swapped places twice, but it was clean and bumper to bumper almost all the way. Very enjoyable. Nabbed a PB lap in the race too. :cool: - Event Results
  13. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Yer really enjoyed the Mx5, had some great races 2 but in the lower split of course, was running up the front mainly in the top 3 or 4 in each race but had some mistake races and a couple lower finishes. Did as many races as i could to get the quota and Ir for me D licence done. I think i got in the 103's. Been doing TT in the Skip D series to get the D race quota done, take it real slow to get 7 laps in a row with no mistakes. I got me 4 TT's done and it says I'm ready for promotion. Does that give me a promotion to C licence? I need to be D 4+ to race the v8's ?
    Got D3.25 at the moment and not game to run to many Skip races and ruin my Ir before promotion day (lost .25 in me first race just ran off the track a lot, no practice no good for the Skip) so might go back and do some Mx5 races again to just get a better feel for the game. I really like the Skip but it does have me nervous at times, you get to confident and a little off line and around she goes. I had a bit of trouble with over sensitive steering, adjusted the wheel a bit and it is a little better but still whould like to know what you guys are running with the steering Deg settings and that deg at speed setting, force feedback, damper etc, i on the G25.
    Hey thanks for the help on Skip settings been running the 17.4Tp 56%BB, will try tuning a bit more when i'm used to this car.
  14. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Good stuff Bones. Yea I saw you've rocketed up to D-class. Well done. ;)
    Yea the skip is like that. Rear end can feel like its on a knife edge. You won't tune it out much, just have to get used to it, make sure you dont make turning inputs without pedal inputs at the same time. Get the hang of running consistent laps before looking into setup too much. Although, running higher front tyre pressure will help with stability but comprimise your mid corner grip. Could help while you come to grips with it.

Now that you've completed the MPR, there is two ways to get promoted to C-class and thus become eligible for the v8's;
    1. Get your SR above 4.0 for instant promtotion[/*]
    2. Maintain your SR above 3.0 and get promoted on promotion day - comes around every other month I think, check the calender.[/*]

Here's my G25 input settings for iRacing:

Logitech profiler settings at recommended:
    • Combined Pedals: Off[/*]
    • Degrees of Rotation: 900 - which automatically maps the to the native lock for each car type, apparanty, certainly feels like it does.[/*]
    • Enable Force Feedback: Checked[/*]
    • Overall Effects Strength: 107% (or near to)[/*]
    • Spring Effect Strength: 0%[/*]
    • Damper Effect Strength: 0%[/*]
    • Enable Centering Spring in Force Feedback Games: Unchecked[/*]
    • Allow game to change settings: Checked[/*]

In game settings;
    • FFB Strength: 20[/*]
    • Damping: 18 EDIT NOW RUNNING ~10[/*]
    • Brake Curve: 2.56 EDIT now running about 1.4[/*]

I watched some of those super fast guys in the MX-5.. wow I gotta get more aggressive with it, they really drift it through the mid-sector of Okayama short. Nice :D Still learning and improving though so that's good. Don't want to plateau yet. We'll have to try and hook up for a race Bones.
  15. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Thanks Koaster and Stone, i tried the Skip with no set up at first and was real slow (wheel setting were way off too) the set up you guys gave me is defiantly better Ill stick with stones now and just work on learning the car with that.

I had the wheel set to about 311deg and in game i set the deg at speed a bit higher. Was good for the Mx5 but way too touchy for the Skip, kept over steering badly.

It'll be a while before i'm competitive, but now that i'll be up to c next week (touch wood) i'll have to run some or view some with yas to start really learning this sim.
    Ill try the wheel set up tonight and try qualifying for a MX5 race to test it out, Week 13 start tonight?
  16. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    With the 900 and auto mapping to native lock, the sensitivity in the MX-5 is still pretty high. And of course the skip will be heaps easier.
    Oh and by the way, drive the MX-5 roadster, not the cup car. The gearing for the roadster makes it faster on the relatively short tracks featuring in the NVIDIA Cup rookie series.

Yea week 13 eh, starts today. Haven't done that before. Looks like there's heaps of cool events to get in on. Legends road series will be where I'm at I think.. maybe that Ghymkana (single hot lap TT) Challenge too.

Ooh might have to purchase Spa and get in on that Production car enduro. Fields of up to 60 drivers! I was gonna get spa with those bonus credits from that deal, but I think I just missed the cut-off date by a few hours, so no $15 credit :(

We should enter the whole Rooz team in something!
  17. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Love those Legends on Road :D :D - Thanks alot for the setup Mad, I could get straight into a qual and race tonight without faffing around with setup for hours. Cracked into the 59's for qual, then got my PB lap 24 of the race. Awesome fun, mad drifts all the way :D Had to get on the anchors once to miss a guy rolling it, but otherwise incident free, despite all the lap traffic and a 21 car field. Get up close to 200clicks down the Lime Rock straight.

13th week Road Legends - Event 1 Results

Did I mention I love these Legends on Road? :p
  18. Mad94d

Mad94d Madison Down

PSN ID
    mad94d
    How awesome are they! I love the Legends on road courses, they need to bring this series back officially. It's so awesome. Still got the quickest time so far so i'm quietly pleased haha.
  19. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
  20. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Where do i set the auto mapping to native lock? i set up the g25 as you said and couldn't find the let game make setting thing you mentioned.
    Logitech profiler settings at recommended:
    Combined Pedals: Off
    Degrees of Rotation: 900 - which automatically maps the to the native lock for each car type, apparanty, certainly feels like it does.
    Enable Force Feedback: Checked
    Overall Effects Strength: 107% (or near to)
    Spring Effect Strength: 0%
    Damper Effect Strength: 0%
    Enable Centering Spring in Force Feedback Games: Unchecked
    Allow game to change settings: Checked

in the game settings each time i go into a new car i haven't driven before, i have to set the gear box shift peddles etc and i set the wheel by doing the full lock to lock thing and it then says i have 900deg steering. This right ? it felt ok in the Skip and was a lot better than i had it at but the V8Supercar seemed a bit understeery.

I took that Legends for a blip and found i had to tune out the Oval setting from it, got it going straight but think i need to do some more tuning on it, Might need your setting for it Mad, looks like that will be the series i run in this weeek. Not going to do any thing to drop my rating so i can get the C licence at the end of the week.