Kayo is okay for watching Sports online

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ryzza5, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    So imagine my horror when I discovered last week that there was no V8 Supercars broadcast on Ch 10 for Sandown's Saturday races, being replaced by horse racing on both 10 and 10 Bold.

So I double-check the Supercars website for their TV Schedule to confirm no FTA TV on Saturday but also notice this new Kayo option.
    It turns out to be an online website with various apps allowing Aussies to stream V8 Supercars (+ Formula 1, Cricket, AFL, etc) live or on-demand. It's actually run by Foxtel and sets you back $25 per month. Finally we don't have to waste money on Foxtel's Drama + Entertainment packs to get access to Sports.

There is a 2 week free trial, but I did a quick search on OzBargain and found out that if you create a fake account on BetEasy (you can use fake names + email addresses) you will be given a voucher URL for a new Kayo account with a 3-month free trial. So that's what I did, and it's all working well so far.

The Android app also supports chromecast which is handy, and for the big race on Sunday they had multiple video options (i.e. full race, 30min highlights, etc when I went to watch it on Monday night).

Just a shame I didn't notice it sooner so most of the trial will be wasted over the Summer break. But if you're into Cricket as well then even better for you!
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  2. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    Kayo is great if you don’t want to pay for all the crap Foxtel makes you buy to get the sports channels..and you pay month to month so after v8s and f1 finishes I can Bugger it off untill next car racing season starts
  3. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    I got Kayo for the F1 but it's been handy for the occasional Supercars race as well.
  4. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

Kayo goes alright, I don't currently have it but I've had it in the past. I only really watched F1 on it. Main issue I had with it was when I used it on my HTPC it wouldn't stream 60fps to sync with my screen refresh rate. I'd always have to manually change to 50hz in windows in order to get nice smooth motion before watching (and then change back to 60hz for other streaming services utilising 60 and 24hz). Of course that's a pretty unique problem though and I'm sure built in TV apps do this correctly. Awesome for replays of F1 sessions that I wasn't able to stay up for.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019