Monster Trucks!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by disturboed, Aug 8, 2012.

1. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    As some of you may already know, I'm pretty heavy into the monster trucks, even to the point of taking a trip to the US earlier this to check out one particular show in Las Vegas.

I also do a bit of crew work for a couple of the show promoters here and there when i can.

Anyone here been to any sort of Monster Truck show or show where they were at? What did you think? Good, bad, indifferent? Or would you like to check out a show?
    Woody likes this.
  2. SNAKEiSM

SNAKEiSM Jason

PSN ID
    SNAKEiSM
    We've had monster trucks out the Broken Hill speedway a couple of times now I think, I saw one show, not massive big extravaganza's out this way but it was cool, love the sound of'em, towards the end of it this one guy was doing some doughies and his engine blew, the way that thing was screaming I'm not bloody surprised! I remember thinking, the only way this dude is gonna stop is if his engine blows, low and behold :lol:
  3. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    Yeah Turbo, i remember what Snake said about the engine popping!!! very expensive operation i would guess???
    i don't know if Snake remembers the monster truck that came out here awhile back (5 years plus ago).
    It had 3 or 4 foot wide rubber tank tracks on it man O'man that thing was wheelie popping, steal crushing, dirt spraying beast!!!

but as Snake said we really haven't had anything real big here.. but pretty good all up..

Getting to your questions..
    Anyone here been to any sort of Monster Truck show or show where they were at?
    Other than the two showing here (both held at the speedway, 2hour shows or there abouts)
    i have seen some shows in SA and WA when i was travelling for working.

What did you think? Good, bad, indifferent?
    GREAT TIME, i think its amazing what they do in them machines....
    i dare say the driver would have to be a bit whacky!!! :lol:
    If i had the chance to go to a Show/Event with monster trucks in it.. GIVE ME A TICKET PLEASE!!

EDIT.... the handbrake said she'll have one too....
  4. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Did you see Travis Pastrana try and back flip a brand new Redbull Monsta Truck on the Nitro circus TV show (not in front of a live crowd)?.....

It was an epic fail and a terrible waste! He got upside down then fell out of the air... not surprised though, the ramp was barely vert. Good watch though! :D
  5. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    yeah that was up in some forest area, the ramp did look really dodgey.
    he's lucky boy, and then all his mates standing around all sursprised that something went wrong..
    but you know what they say "Only In America" :lol:
  6. disturboed

PSN ID
    disturboed
    Travis Pastrana did that on his own property. Back then no-one knew quite how to backflip a monster truck, but now it's done quite regularly.

Tom Meents (who was there at that Nitro Circus attempt), did it successfully a few weeks after in his truck.

If you saw a tank truck in Broken Hill, I would assume that would have been Sam Xuereb and his trucks Sampson and Tropical Thunder. I don't have much to do with him unless he appears at a show I work at.

One of the guys I help out has almost finished building his new trucks, will have 9 basically brand spankin new ones, as good as the ones they run in Monster Jam in the states (built by the same chassis builders, using the same parts), we even got a Team Maximum Destruction driver in Kreg Christensen here when he isn't doing US shows to build them up and drive here. He's a great mate, I learn a lot from him.

The engines are 540c.i. Merlins running on Alcohol with a 8/71 blower. Basically a dragster motor. They can push up to 1800HP, but for reliability and longetivity they are tuned to about 1450HP. Accelerate to 0-60kph in about 2.5 seconds.

I love these things, can't get enough of 'em!
  7. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    yeah it seems like ur addicted m8...

really 2.5 secs.. thats crazy, that would snap ya back in the seat just a little bit.. :lol:

hey Turbo have driven a monster truck yet???
  8. disturboed

PSN ID
    disturboed
    Yar, just not in anger......... yet.

I have driven the original Scooby Doo truck (now under a different "dog" identity). Only it was after a show and didn't get to jump anything, but it was still pretty cool!

That may change though soon, things may be falling into place for a drive here or there this year with tuition from one of the best US drivers!
  9. aussie_man21

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
    Awesome stuff would love to see some pics man if possible...

Scooby Doo Truck :lol:
  10. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Hey turbo, I see the monster trucks are heading to Adelaide for a show on the 16th February, you coming over??
  11. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    They were just here in Tas, forgot to ask turbo if he was with them.
  12. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    I didn't get over there, but I could hear the Monster Trucks from my house last night... They growl...lol
  13. Stumbles

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    THREAD REVIVAL!!!!

Anyone interested in going to the Monster Truck Rumble on Feb 15 at Adelaide Showgrounds??
    http://gilbertracing.com.au/events/monster-truck-rumble-adelaide-2014
    Tix are normally $55 General Admission (or $60 at the gate on the night), my work social club has them for $40. If anyone wants one, let me know within a couple of days, need to order by start of February.
    Myself and Colin_50 are going, should be a great night out.
  14. disturboed

PSN ID
    disturboed
    Gilbert Racing put on a professional show, they do a great job in promoting it. I was wanting to come over to Radelaide for the first time for it, but cant get the time off work (especially how I'm going to the US a few weeks later for the biggest show of them all, the Monster Jam world finals!!).

8 truck lineup, so no shortage of action. You will also have for the first time, US driver Kreg Christensen at this show. He used to drive for Monster Jam in the third Maximum Destruction truck. If you get Foxtel and watch Fuel TV saturday nights, you can catch 2013 episodes of Monster Jam and he features in a few of them. Kreg is a great guy and spends a lot of time in Australia nowadays. He will be driving his truck called "Wicked". Get into the pit party if you can or at the post-show autograph signing and say Damo says Hi!

There should also be a young fella there by the name of Hayden McCleary, he will be in the Raptors truck. He's a great kid and my son idolises him! LOL! Say hi to him too!

It will be a great night, just don't expect Monster Jam Stadium style antics, these guys have to pay for what they break, and parts aren't cheap!

Damn, now I need to go to another show!! Withdrawals!

P.S. Funnily enough, they were just in Broken Hill this past weekend!!!
    Stumbles likes this.
  15. Driftoz

Driftoz Team Driver Gold Member

sorry for bringing up an old thread ive only been here for a little while and just seen this post but thought you might like to see some footage from last years monster jam in Adelaide.
    KoAStR likes this.
  16. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Aha no need for apologies mate! The monster jam broadcast from Sydney recently was pretty epic too.
    Driftoz likes this.
  17. disturboed

PSN ID
    disturboed
    That Sydney show was from 2013. We were there of course.
    Last year my monster truck adventures consisted of:

Nowra, NSW
    Las Vegas (Word Finals), USA
    Canberra, ACT
    Brisbane Showgrounds, QLD
    Monster Jam Melbourne, VIC (2 x shows, one day)
    Monster Jam Sydney, NSW

Got 3 shows coming up in March & April,
    21/3 Valvoline Speedway Sydney
    4/4 Gosford Showgrounds
    18/4 Newcastle Entertainment Centre

Good fun.
    KoAStR likes this.
  18. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Brother in law had one on his car lot a few months ago (next to the highway in batemans bay so they thought was a good spot to advertise)......was "muttly" or something....Kids loved climbing all over it, didnt get to go and watch though.
  19. disturboed

PSN ID
    disturboed
    That would have been Scooby Doo, they had a show down @ Moruya Speedway. Wet & Muddy show it was.
    stucar17 likes this.
  20. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Got yourself a drive yet turbo?