Cockpit My custom budget racing cockpit project

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Noxrai, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Tuesday 30th July

Quick update. Gave the rig a light sanding, cleaned it all over, primed it and then put it's first coat of flat black on. Already looking a million bucks!

I will try to put another coat on tonight and then a clear protectant coat on top of that probably the night after. Probably won't post any pictures of that as it will basically look the same. Next time you'll see it will be in the computer room all hooked up ready to be man handled.

[​IMG]
  2. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

very cool :) :thumbsup:
    Noxrai likes this.
  3. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I quite liked the raw ally look but looks very slick in black, definitely the way to go - nice work :thumbsup:
    Noxrai likes this.
  4. Noxrai

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Hey guys! After weeks of planning, cutting building and welding I'm proud to say my rig is complete and is now enjoying it's new loving home. This thing has turned out to be amazing. Better than i was expecting.
    I am so very happy with it. I'm quite chuffed with myself.

In preparation for the new arrival, I took apart my old setup. Made some space and layed down a rug for the new rig

Spent most of the evening setting the rig up. Quite a few screws needed screwing. The wheel base, (my new) shifter (surprise), pedals and chair. All the holes lined up perfectly, thankfully. Both the pedals and chair slide effortlessy on the runners. Everything feels solid as a rock.

I only got about 30min of drive time so I'm still fine tuning my chair angle and distances. But first impressions are pretty damn good so far.

My concern for the angle of the pedal plate can be laid to rest now. I actually think it's spot on. Feels natural and my feet rest quite nicely.
    I will however think i will change the brake pedal placement on my fanatec. I will push it further left.

Glad to report that keyboard swivel pad works flawlessly and at a perfect height. Mouse pad and shifter feel like they are at perfect height too.

Now the main reason why I built this. The wheel mount. This thing is solid. I can't believe the difference in feeling I got. I no longer have to compensate for the shake and flex of my computer table. The overblown understeer effect that gt uses that used to rattle my bones, shake my table and make my drink fall off, (no seriously, it's made my precious bourbon and coke vibrate off the table) is no longer an issue.
    This thing takes those vibration forces and asks if it can have more! I'm loving it.

Not everything is roses. I don't know if it's the way i sit in my seat. But it feels as if my wheel is sitting just a little too far to the right. But measuring the distances seems to come up pretty equal each side. So not sure about that at this stage. I will have another look when i get time. Mayby I'm just used to sitting on an office chair too long and I've never sat straight to begin with.
    The cable that comes with the shifter is not quite long enough. It reaches the wheel base but it has to go straight across right in the way of getting in and out of the rig. Not the most practible set up. So a new longer cable is needed.

Going away this weekend to a wedding in Byron Bay so won't get much playtime before the sunday league race. But hey, at least it's ready to go.

Apologies on the photos. I haven't cleaned up at all. Just wanted to get in!
    I will post something more presentable later down the road.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I
    Ozglenn, Matthyus, KoAStR and 6 others like this.
  5. Buster_Danis

Buster_Danis Team Driver

Looks great nox! but please tell me you'll invest in some cable ties! my OCD is in overload after veiwing your photos!:eek:o_O:thumbsup:
    Matthyus and Noxrai like this.
  6. Noxrai

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Thanks buster! Lol yeah like i said, I was rushing to test it out. Cable management is definitely on the things to do list
    Matthyus and Buster_Danis like this.
  7. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Highly recommend velcro ones though.
    The normal cables ties if done tight will in time wear through the protective layer and damage your cables.
    Plus who doesn't like velcro!!
    Noxrai and beakeroo like this.
  8. Noxrai

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Great minds think alike. Looking for some now as we speak
  9. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    @Noxrai do the old fashion trick.

Lay your seat back rest back to a 45 degree angle, look straight down where the headrest would go, through your wheel and up to your monitor to see if they all line up properly.

That may help with your feeling of something being a little off.

Worst case scenario, the padding in the seat may be a little more worn out on one side compared to the other.
    Noxrai likes this.
  10. Noxrai

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Tried what you said. I think I'm out by a few millimetres. Like 3mm-5mm lol. Nothing a drill can't fix. Doesn't seem like much but it really bothers me
  11. Noxrai

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    All sorted now. Feels better now