Display New Tv/Monitor advice

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Kephin_07, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Kephin_07

Kephin_07 Rookie

PSN ID
    BiGkEv_87
    Does anyone know the ins and outs of good monitors, specifically for sim racing? I've tried researching it but got a little drowned and confused with all the "information" out there.
    I'm currently using an old Samsung 32" tv, but have heard about possible benefits from a good refresh rate and thought I might start looking at what options are around.
    Atm I'm playing GT Sport exclusively but will inevitably make the jump over to iRacing and PC (hopefully within the next 18-24 months).
    Not sure on how much I'm willing to spend yet, just after anyone's advice/experience to shed some light for me.
    Cheers, boys
  2. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    If you are looking at going pc in the future, most likely a pc monitor is your best bet. Be aware you will be paying more for a smaller screen though. But with that smaller screen you will get higher refresh rates. The rest depends on what type of pc you have. The higher refresh you want the stronger pc you'll need. My personal preference is a silky smooth running game over a big slow tv. Precision and fast feedback i feel is must for a sim racer.
    60fps should be your base to hit with any game.
    120fps if you have 1070 or higher graphics card
    240fps you will need a bonkers setup

Then comes the decision to go 1080p or higher.
    Again it comes down to what your pc can handle.
    1080p is fine for most people.
    There are some moniters that can do 2k resolution. (Like mine)
    4k monitors are nice, but again you'll need a beast of a machine to run games at 4k.

Then you also have super wide screens, which i am not familiar with so won't comment about. And also a 3 monitor setup which im also not qualified to comment on.

Size is personal preference and what setup you are aiming for.

Keep an eye out for response times of the monitor. Just like tvs, there are some monitors are terribad for gaming on and you will get atrocious input lag.

My current setup:
    I have a 1080ti graphics card
    I use a samsung 27" Curved 2k qled monitor that can run up to 144 refresh. It also has quick response time. So no gamer lag.
    I keep my monitor at 120 refresh because i feel its smoother and not as hard on my computer.

Depending on the game, i can run most settings on high and hit a smooth 120fps or a bit lower.
    F1 2018 still runs like crap for me however. It feels like 20fps lol. Even when i lower all the settings. Sigh.

Hope this helps a bit.
  3. Kephin_07

Kephin_07 Rookie

PSN ID
    BiGkEv_87
    Nox, you legend!! That's a big help, mate :thumbsup:
    I got very little sleep last night lol. I ended up down the proverbial rabbit hole trying to make heads and tails of how everything ties in with each other.

Am I correct in understanding that GT Sport will only ever run at 60fps and therefore there's no advantage with anything above a 60hz refresh rate?
    60hz refresh rate seems to be the starting point for most gaming monitors I found so maybe I should be focusing on the response time over the refresh rate (until obviously I go to a PC build).

Screen size really isn't high on the priority list at this stage and, given that my current tv is about 5+ years old, I feel like 1080p will blow my mind lol
    Is there any way to test all this stuff on my current setup (fps, response time etc)? I'm keen to see where it's all at.
  4. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Yes you are correct. Gt sport can only run at 60fps. Generally you'll find most monitors decent. Most companies now put game modes in now anyway to bypass all the post processing. But it is a good idea to double check what the monitor can do and what to expect.

You can turn on an fps counter if you go into your nvidia experience program (assuming you use nvidia). To check you monitors refresh rate, response times try googling your model number and find the specs for it.

It is indeed a rather large rabbit hole. But after a bit of research on forums and reviews you will start to get a general idea which monitors are the top picks.
    I good place to start is:
    rtings.com/monitor and also
    Toms Hardware moniter buyers guide
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  5. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Hey guys,

Same question here really - thinking of going ultrawide for ACC, looking at this option:

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Monitors/25plus-inch/72510-34WK650-W

Looks like a great deal at the moment for under $500. I have i59400F and RTX2060. As this is 2560x1080 I'm thinking I will get a cheap but decent improvement in FOV with not too much worry about stressing out my PC. I'm on a 24" 1080p single set-up now...so hopefully this will help!