PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Anyone able to help me with a rough baseline price for a 'Decent' setup.... i know very little about PC's as it stands but how much would i roughly be looking at for a PC to run iRacing on at least 60fps and pretty decent graphics detail? Looking to move over to PC sims in the next 3ish years, so got plenty of time to save up the poor piggy bank! :D
    Sam D Blacklock likes this.
  2. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    https://www.pccasegear.com have a cool feature when you login where you can "build" a system in a wishlist, I would also do some research over at ISRTV here: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/forum/45-pc-personal-computer-gaming-system/

Then you can put a virtual system together and get a ballpark on it.

Also checkout Linus Tech Tips on youtube they have scrapyard wars showing what you can do with 2nd hand gear.
    Spidey_11 and Beau_Albert like this.
  3. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    given the rate that the PC world advances at, a 3 year window is pretty massive! even the latest and greatest of todays hardware will be bottom of the barrel in 3 years time so a baseline price is pretty hard to foresee. on todays prices you could probably get what your after for between $1200-1500 depending how much detail you want @ 60fps. if my saving plan was over 3 years i would aim for the 2k mark ( $15pw would net $2250 ;) ).and aim for 60-80fps @ ultra detail.
    Sam D Blacklock and Beau_Albert like this.
  4. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    Biggest priced items will be:
    Graphics card - $1,000 for latest cards right now, $300 for a nice lower grade card.
    CPU - i7's are expensive, i5's can get you there for $270.
    Monitor - if you don't need a new one then you save heaps depending how high end u want.
    Cooling - good fans will do, next up is radiator cooled ( like ur car but smaller ), liquid cooled.

The rest are smaller amounts but still add up, $70 for 8gb DDR4 ram, $100 motherboard, $70 for 1tb hard drive. Like said above, check out sites, another one is msy.com.au and see their already built options and parts list.

Easiest option is to get a Dell, buy the model you need or just add a good graphics card
    Beau_Albert likes this.
  5. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    I would've thought the biggest problem with that is the price of iRacing content ;)
    WAC, Sam D Blacklock and Beau_Albert like this.
  6. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    I'm revisiting this idea. Anyone got any new info / systems to have a look at for a nice PC build that is around $1,200 - $1,500 without the need for a monitor. Plans are to hook the HDMI cable up to the nearby (within two metres) TV.
    Cheers
  7. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
  8. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    Hey boys,
    I'm looking at building a new PC (budget to mid) and was seeing if anyone has some good websites or companies they've used or heard of for either complete systems or components for a project build.
    So far I know of pccasegear.com and just had a look at graysonline.
    It's replacing a 2010 Dell PC so even things like a new i3 or Nvidia GTX 960 would be a massive improvement.
    My current PC runs iracing but I'm looking to boost up my experience a bit.
    Cheers
  9. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    Whats your budget? I could come up with a build for you (PM me if you want)
    Spidey_11 and Clevohead like this.
  10. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    Beau_Albert and Spidey_11 like this.
  11. JayJAY

JayJAY Rookie

Intel i5 6600K With CoolerMaster hyper 212 evo cooler
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming x Graphics card
    kingston 16gb DDR3 1866mhz
    750w 80+ silver thermaltake PSU
    ASUS B150 D3 Mobo
    1TB Hard Drive
    120GB SSD
    1 Benq bl2420pt 1440p monitor
    1 AOC 1080p monitor (Dont know the model)
    There is my rig, its my little beast <3 :D
  12. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    Hey guys, just doing some research now trying to figure out my next 12 months of saving up and trying to get a PC, which of these would be most beneficial for the higher end racing sims out there? (iR, AC, RF2 are my priorities)
    https://www.pccasegear.com/category/1411/systems/sort/4
    Unsure of what my budget is right now, however i'll probably be aiming between the 2-3k mark. I'm pretty new to the PC world so any help is appreciated :thumbsup:
  13. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    I just put q system together for a friend of mine with this pc https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36292/pccg-primera-1070-gaming-system
    It runs AC and Dirt Rally at max setting @ 150fps. It would be perfect for VR too so this would be a great package.
    Beau_Albert likes this.
  14. The_Spectre

The_Spectre Team Driver

PSN ID
    The_Spectre_au
    AC is likely to be the most demanding of those games - a 1070 build ~2500) would probably run AC on a single display on max at a very high framerate - if you wanted triple screens, 4k resolution or VR to run well id probably go a 1080 build (2800-3k)if your budget allows it
    Beau_Albert likes this.
  15. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    Yep any 2k gaming system should be able to smash all the PC racing sims out at 1080p Ultra quality with loads of FPS. If you're going all out then I'd make sure the system features an nVidia 1080 Ti card (not yet released). Any high-end Intel i5 or i7 CPU from recent years - they haven't improved all that much. About 16GB DDR4 RAM. Decent power supply. High capacity SSD for multiple games. The rest is just sundry usually. Put any extra savings towards a good screen, steering wheel upgrade, VR display, headphones, whatever you like.

Probably worth looking to see what cases they use and how much they're worth. You may or may not prefer a more basic case with the money going towards a better graphics card, for example.
    i.e. if it's going in a bedroom and being used at night, LED's and windows do look cool but can also be annoying if you're downloading DiRT Rally via Steam overnight. I nearly fell over when I saw how big that game was the other month. (~35GB)
    Beau_Albert and Sam D Blacklock like this.
  16. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    Awesome! Thanks guys, you pretty much confirmed where i need to be looking at and how much im going to need!! :)
  17. Spidey_11

PSN ID
    I don't have anything to back this up but - I think that's way too much overkill for racing sims.
    3K really? 1080 really? Checkout some youtube videos of people running the games and posting their pc specs.
  18. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    Yeah im sure it could be done for much cheaper and still be enjoyable Spidey, yet in my original question i did say my budget would be decently big and im not a fan of the constantly upgrading idea, so a great PC on the higher end side of things is my route im after :)
    By all means though, ive heard of alright iRacing setups for 1.5k
  19. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    My gaming PC still dates back to September 2012 (besides the upgraded graphics card) and is still going pretty strong. I can play pCARS at Ultra 1080p with D2XX or D4XX anti-aliasing which is probably the most graphics intensive racing sim right now. That was around a 3.5k build at the time iirc. Even with the older 680 GTX graphics card it was faster than both new consoles when they launched.

Build details are here http://forum.turboduck.net/threads/29003-ryzza5s-pc
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  20. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea my setup cost about that and is in the OP. Still runs Dirt rally maxed out, and AC most on ultra except reflections with decent FPS. Only thing I've upgraded is more RAM and that was only because the last lot crapped out. Probably need to upgrade GPU to run triples on nice settings though, probably same for VR.