PC PC building & spec check

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Jul 23, 2011.

1. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

I'd be curious to know how the rx 570 handles VR in iRacing. I have a 1070 Max-Q (it's a laptop) and whilst the performance is acceptable, I'm a long way from being able to run high quality settings. A quick look at benchmark comparisons puts the 1070 about 27% faster than the rx 570. I haven't seen the specs on the PSVR, so not sure how demanding it will be compared to a rift S.
  2. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
  3. PaulCox

PaulCox Team Driver

PSN ID
    coxy383420
    Looking at getting a pc but don’t know much. If this isn’t going into much detail I’m stuffed already lol
  4. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID

I haven't personally watched these but you may find them edumacational and perhaps even interesting. ;)
    PaulCox likes this.
  5. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    A VR headset - when separated from VR software - is no different from a monitor, so the RX 570 can run iRacing just fine.
    I know this might be easy for you to understand, but others might benefit from this quick explanation:

My Samsung Q9FN has 4K pixels, with a max refresh rate of 120Hz
    The PSVR has 1080p pixels, with a max refresh rate of 120Hz

If your GPU can run iRacing with maxed settings at 1080p 120Hz, there is nothing stopping you running VR on an identical screen. If you are in the market for VR, look at the headset's specs regarding pixels, and refresh rate, and you are golden.
    ---
    To answer your question Benny, the PSVR is not at all demanding because it runs on a PS4 / PS4 Pro which is quite outdated at this point. There's nothing much that I can do to make PSVR look better on my screen because once you introduce the massive increase in FOV required for VR perspectives compared to what I run on my monitor (45 degrees - the lowest possible setting and it's not low enough for my distance from my screen), there just isn't enough pixels to render a high FOV and see into the distance much. You can see heaps of pixels, because it's a rubbish resolution, so I'm lowering the max settings progressively to stabilise the framerate and latency.

To quote what I just wrote in the PSVR thread:
    'I'm trying to get PSVR working with iRacing - playing around with graphics settings, etc. - and the two variables I'm trying to maximise is frame rate, and low latency. If the signal has a lot of latency courtesy of my setup, causing the video to lagg behind your head movements, that's super bad, and any latency at all will cause a lot of unease

The thing about PSVR is that it has three render modes: 60Hz with motion smoothing (screen-door effect; post-processing added frames) causing a 120Hz effect, 90Hz, and 120Hz. The thing about GT Sport is that GT Sport is running at 60Hz with motion smoothing instead of a native 90Hz, which is what most iRacing users recommend when using PSVR. I'm trying to run a native 120Hz in iRacing but it's difficult to achieve a stable framerate.'

The Rift S has according to wiki 1440p pixels with max refresh at 80Hz, just to compare with the PSVR.

Anyway, sorry for drawing out my response. Here's a comparison I made when discussing my GPU upgrade with my mates (my friend's name is Trub):
    [​IMG]
    And here's a screenshot I took of my 4K desktop running iRacing at 1080p:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the SteamVR UI on the bottom right shows the latency, and you can use the iRacing frame data to find settings to hit that solid 120fps. The screenshot shows 60fps currently, as I'm testing the motion interpolation mode.

Thanks Ryzza, but I'll pass on that considering it's only HDMI 1.4. DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is working with 4K @ 60Hz for desktop use, so I'm quite happy now. With the PSVR plugged into HDMI, I now have a single monitor desktop plus VR with the audio going through the receiver. Who knew that using a VR headset solved every issue I was having?
  6. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Quick update, you can get iRacing running at 120Hz natively on PSVR with the RX 570 but it really does effect the visuals now. I really didn't want to get rid of Grandstands and Crowd but I needed to, and now it's quite stable at 120fps, sometimes drops to 117 and back.

Otherwise, motion interpolation works really well with using SteamVR. 60Hz and you can max iRacing settings in VR mode, minus cubemapping, HDR, and all the distortion effects and weird effects like heat haze which you will never see in VR. Sharpening helps a lot. Low detail in cockpit mirrors. Every other setting Ultra or High (whichever is highest) plus max shadows on everything.

Finally, if anyone reads this in the future, make sure you match the Tracking Rate (ie. the internal gyro calculation rate) to your frame rate, because I worked out that the difference between your Tracking Rate and your Refresh Rate is what causes drifting issues in the headset, as your headset is calculating new positions and your screen either can't keep up, or is too fast. If you use Motion Interpolation, use 60Hz; if you use max refresh at 120Hz, match it at 120Hz.
  7. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    Hey @Crunch I stumbled across this video and thought of you mate

It goes on to discuss how upcoming graphics cards with the latest HDMI spec may be a perfect upgrade for your TV + audio receiver scenario.
  8. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Just upgraded my internals (in sig) in anticipation for the new nvidia cards to drop... I'm going to have to beg, borrow and steal to be able to afford the anticipated $2k AUD nvidia 3090 card :eek:
    beakeroo likes this.
  9. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    I've heard anywhere from 1400 to 2000 USD for the top tier nVidia card. They've been going up every single time - to think the best cards were around the $850 AUD 10 years ago. I might not even go top tier this time.
    Are you planning to wait for AMD cards to release to see how nVidia respond price-wise?

For anyone else thinking of building a new PC, rumors are that the new nVidia cards will over saturate the PCI-Express Gen 3 slots found on Intel systems. Even if an Intel motherboard has PCI-E Gen 4, the current Intel CPUs don't support it yet.
    If true, this will likely annoy nVidia as they might be forced to promote their graphics cards with AMD-based systems. Recent AMD CPUs and motherboards do support PCI-E Gen 4.

The other rumour is that top tier nVidia cards that are not built by nVidia (i.e. ASUS, Gigabyte) will have 3x 8pin power connectors. For the $2000+ price tag you better hope they come with free portable air conditioners for this summer. o_O:cool:
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Rolz, beakeroo and KoAStR like this.
  10. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    This is what I'm doing also, I was tempted to sell my 2070 super as it's making more than I gave for it at the moment but I'll hang on. Are you going for reference or waiting? In terms of $$ I'm pretty much set as I've been putting aside a bit at a time for a while now in anticipation.
  11. Rolz

I'm pretty simple and just stick with intel/nvidia these days... Will hopfully go with the Asus ROG Strix version of the new card as the asus mobo gfx pairing as also held me in good stead too... (crossfingers)
  12. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    It looks like I'm not the only one to get bigger this year...

[​IMG]

Don't forget to measure the available space in your PC case before getting one of these big boys :)
    beakeroo likes this.
  13. Rolz

I was this post, then a few comments to say someone zoomed it a bit... Still taking up 3 blanking plates is a big card!
    If it is close to 400W draw I wonder if my 850W psu will be enough... will check today
    beakeroo likes this.
  14. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    I have the space, I also have the spare power on the PSU. I think my system currently uses under 400W (750W Gold) now as it is, the current GPU uses 215W so I should be fine as I have around 565W available once it from my build.
  15. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
  16. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
  17. Rolz

Oh this is going to be interesting... my calculations say I'm currently using about 530W, so should be ok when I pull out the old card and put in a new one... but I doubly I'll be getting anything until closer to the end of the year now... see what the other manufacturers deliver...
  18. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Stuff it, I'm buying it anyway. 565kw should be fine to run a 400kw GPU.
    Rolz likes this.
  19. v8power383

v8power383 Professional

PSN ID
    v8power383 Turn Left Racing
    Amd or Intel and why
  20. Rolz

even though I'm on the intel side of the fence, amd has the pcie 4.0 standard already enabled on their motherboards... so with the new gfx cards this will give u more performance... I'l be stuck with a bottleneck there
    v8power383 likes this.