PCARS S6 Tips & Tricks Thread

Discussion in 'PCLOZ Past Seasons' started by Beau_Albert, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Beau_Albert

Beau_Albert World Champion

PSN ID
    iRacing: Beau Albert
    Hello Everyone, and welcome!
    This is your Hub for Season 6 to talk all things Strategy, Laptimes and Racepace for the upcoming season!
    Where possible i will show off a Lap i have ran in practice with some Commentary to help you find your way around this Seasons challenges. First up.... it's a collection of Long Straights and 90 degree corners! Gentleman; and Come_and_get_me7, Start your engines :thumbsup:
    Round 1 Road America 2:16:169

Track Facts:
    Pit Lane + No tyres Pit stop = 31 Seconds
    Pit Lane + Tyre Stop Pit Stop = 45 Seconds
    Tyre to watch out for wear: Front Left
    Crucial Corners: T2, Speedville Hairpin, Final Corner.
    webnomad, v8power383, garyw61 and 9 others like this.
  2. Konnor McCluskey

Konnor McCluskey Team Driver

Nice lap mate! Your on it now :)
    Beau_Albert likes this.
  3. Stozz

Stozz Rookie

Quick lap time good job on the video
    Beau_Albert likes this.
  4. jasondull1986

jasondull1986 Professional

PSN ID
    jasond1986
    Hey beau great lap. I don't understand though how you can brake so much later. Example turn 2 you pull the car up on the 1 board on the left and make the apex, I try the same thing and I'm 20 metres in the sand trap. Whats the bias? Are you running ABS?

Am I the only 1?
  5. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Nup!
    George and jasondull1986 like this.
  6. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    The Brake Bias is set to 59%, just one click down from default.
    An important technique which works with most cars is how early you apply steering lock into the corner. Under hard braking, putting the lock in much earlier helps scrub off much more speed, and due to being hard on the brakes you don't actually end up cutting the corner due to the earlier turn-in as the tyres can't provide the necessary grip at that time.
    Another thing i'm doing this season is manually blipping the throttle on the downshifts to about 20%. Helps the car not move around under braking as much.
    Hope some of that is useful :)
    jasondull1986 likes this.
  7. Anthonyb

Anthonyb World Champion Gold Member

Yep I'm with you on that one
  8. Anthonyb

Are you running shifter or paddles?
  9. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    Shifter. It's a flaw of Project CARS in regards to cars that use H-Patterns in reality.
    Using the Paddles when driving a car that uses a H-Pattern like the Sierra does, each gear shift takes 1-3 tenths of a second to complete from one gear to the next, with about 2 tenths of that with the car hovering in Neutral. Doesn't matter how fast you press the paddle, it'll always be a lengthy-shift.
    With the G29 i have a short-throw Shifter, and i can manually go from gear to gear much quicker as i can bypass Neutral much faster, thus getting the car back to acceleration quicker. Of all the tracks, the Paddles vs Shifter difference will be most noticable at Road America due to its long straights. It's not a huge advantage, but in the Mercedes DTM in Season 2 it was found to be worth about 5kp/h on the longest straights.
    George and Anthonyb like this.
  10. jasondull1986

PSN ID
    jasond1986
    Thanks for sharing hopefully I can try this out Sunday prerace.
  11. Anthonyb

With your g29 do you ever get terrible vibration in a race. Mine has a habit of being smooth and quiet during practice and qually then go into race it makes a sound like a ice maker when ever you turn into a corner. Very off putting
    Konnor McCluskey likes this.
  12. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    I used to until i changed my FFB settings in a Tuning Open room, just a minor change saved it to all tracks just like what we do for Default Setups and i haven't had it for 4 seasons now :thumbsup:
  13. Konnor McCluskey

I have the same mate, really hard to drive. They call it wheel slip which is a glitch to the game. I've tried different things but still get it all the time
    Anthonyb likes this.
  14. Anthonyb

Any chance of a pm with some settings. Cheers
  15. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    Anthonyb likes this.
  16. Anthonyb

Legend will give it a try.
    Beau_Albert likes this.
  17. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    @jasondull1986 Figured out how i'm 'Braking much later' than you guys... this season i am running my 'Correct FOV' in Cockpit Cam. Because i sit a bit far back from my screen, my Field of View is much closer to the windscreen/dashboard of the car. This is giving the perception of me being closer to something than i am... so whilst i am using the '1' marker as my braking point, my car is in fact only just at the '2' board.... i will upload my current fastest lap (15.5) with my S5 camera view so it should be more reflective of what you guys use. My bad... still getting used to the quirks of this FOV.
    jasondull1986, garyw61 and Anthonyb like this.
  18. Beau_Albert

PSN ID
    Default FOV so there should be no weird trickery in this one. The more you know! :thumbsup:
    George, Anthonyb and garyw61 like this.
  19. jasondull1986

PSN ID
    jasond1986
    Haha yeah that's much better I can make those braking points. Now to find the 2.5 seconds :(
    Beau_Albert likes this.
  20. Konnor McCluskey

A 15.5??? Do I bother turning up lol thought you didn't have time to practice. Maybe I should make time to practice