PCARS Project C.A.R.S - General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    What the F#€Ik did he say about wheel compatibility? I sooo hope I'm not gonna have to spend a fortune on a new wheel as well?!
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  2. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    He can't make any hard comments on compatibility as no one knows yet.
  3. smokinscotty

smokinscotty Rookie

PSN ID
    smokinscotty
    But it looks so easy to drive with a controller :rolleyes:
  4. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    Looks like there will be quite a few PS4 purchases before November!!
    stucar17, Ad2mny and Clevohead like this.
  5. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Bout time, it's lonely out there in ps4 land lol
  6. leeboy910

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    There's some good fun to be had Jamie. Sniper Elite 3 is epic. MLB is good if you like baseball, NFS is good for a laugh, Wolfenstein is pretty good and Tomb Raider will blow you away if you haven't played it on PS3...it blew me away anyway!
    Plus some decent freebie action happening.
    Ad2mny likes this.
  7. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Hey guys, if you've got any questions about the game post them here and I'll get you the scoops. :)

Some random stuff off the top of my head:
    * Dynamic tyre model - 37 parameters, advanced behaviour such as aquaplaning simply "fall out" of the model
    * Dynamic weather - clouds, rain, fog, lightning, day/night, track co-ordinates, surface temperature, etc - looks great and has a physics impact on the car
    * Full pit stops (WIP)
    * Full endurance racing possible (PC supports up to 64 cars on track when there are enough grid spaces/pit bays on track). Console may be half that for single player and perhaps 16 for online sue to Sony/Microsoft limitations. You'll want a very strong CPU/GPU for lots of AI (especially if you're driving in the rain and damage is turned on - the AI use a simplified tyre model so as not to fry your hardware).
    * 90% of the video trailers are made by community members like myself - I think the devs have only made 2. SMS have 'hired' some of the most active community members, one of which is a video trailer maker.
    * Custom car liveries (i.e. the ones with real brands/sponsors) are made in Photoshop/Gimp. Enables a great degree of creative freedom, and I think the plan is to be able to share them in the Steam Workshop on PC, but you most likely won't see custom liveries on console at this stage (maybe in an update post-release)
    * Like driving in the rain (Velly)? Ben Collins absolutely *loves* the wet weather physics (particularly GT3 racecars) in pCARS. He's also a massive fan of the modern and '77 F1 cars.
    * The game has no currency or unlockables - it's a sandbox racer. You pick whatever discipline you're into (either start from karts and work up, or jump straight in at F1 level), sign up with a team, and go racing.
    * Wheel support on the new consoles is a big talking point across all driving games. SMS can't say much due to Sony NDAs, but essentially it's up to Sony and Logitech/Fanatec/Tm to make the wheels PS4 compatible (system drivers, etc), and then SMS will make those wheels play nice with the game. If you've got the means, PC will be the best platform (and you'll open yourself up to all the other PC-only driving sims - OzCoMoBros are looking at iRacing for example).
    * The unoptimised PS4 version of Project CARS at E3 was running an unlocked framerate between 50-70FPS @1080p. DriveClub (which looks great graphically as well) is locked down at 30FPS by way of comparison.
    * Project CARS has a license for the 2013 Ford V8SC CotF but it hasn't been built yet - probably going to come post launch. There's also a license for an NZ SuperTourer iirc as well as NZ's Ruapuna Speedway (coming later).
    * Gamepad filtering is actively bring worked on right now - going for a good comparison to GT4 and Forza.
    * The core dev team used to be called Blimey, and came from SimBin. They made GT Legends, GTR, and GTR2. Yes they also made the NFS Shift games but they got annoyed with EA sticking their nose in and making things worse, which is why they went the community-funded route.
    * On the side they are making a very arcade game for Russian service prodier my.com (World of Speed). Project CARS benefits a lot from this in the way of extra dev income and car licenses. World of Speed benefits by getting some cars/tracks from pCARS and also the graphics engine. The two games don't share a line of physics code though.
    * The driving model is engaging, challenging, and fun. (You just have to read the forums to know which cars are most developed and which have placeholder or experimental physics). I remember having loads of fun in one single-player race starting from mid-back of the pack at Oschersleben - 10 laps in I had only gained 3 positions and was still fighting hard to defend... I eventually stuffed up and crashed of course. :)

I'll let you guys get in with questions now.
    Clevohead likes this.
  8. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Great info Ryzza, for me the main question is wheel support. I know they aren't saying anything yet which is annoying but this will be the thing that stops me buying a ps4 and project cars at this stage. My wheel is a t500rs which I think is the most likely wheel to be supported but I'm not going to commit to buying it unil this is announced
  9. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Yeah Tm seem to be replacing the market that Logitech used to have. I'd guess/hope that a simple PS4 software update and/or T500RS firmware update would do the trick - we'll find out soon enough. I'm not getting either console yet for the same reason - I spent more than both the new consoles combined on my controllers (~$1300).
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  10. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Yeah good info Ryzza, cheers

Its a bit of a worry that there looks to be a lot less features on the consoles compared to PC. Maybe PD know whats coming and dont feel like they have to push too hard if new titles cant offer much more than they (PD) currently do.

The wheel thing is a worry for me too. I wont be buying a new one till i know what they are doing. Surely they wont risk losing a heap of possible players by not throwing in the drivers to make peoples current wheels compatible. Suicide i reckon. The same will go for PD and the PS4.

Keep us posted mate, Would be spewing if the dont have a livery editor on the PS4 version. So much we could do as a forum and racing league if they make it available .......
    Cyber_STIG_77 and Clevohead like this.
  11. leeboy910

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    The only thing I care about in this game is sounds and physics.
    GT sounds are deplorable in most cases as we all know but the videos and stuff I've seen and heard from PCARS sound incredible.
    As for physics, GT is ok, but can never seem to get it 100%. Kerb riding is basically impossible in GT and is completely unrealistic. Attacking kerbs is part of racing but in GT they are like someone has coated them in vaseline or something.
    It's also a bit dodgy in GT in terms of suspension. Sometimes you hit a kerb and the whole car gets pushed one whole car width away from the apex which also doesn't happen unless you're going 100kmh too fast.

Is PCARS a bit more realistic in that aspect? Can you attack kerbs without fear of the car spinning like a top or being thrown into the gravel or armco?
    Clevohead and stucar17 like this.
  12. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Kinda agree lee, however i dont worry about the sounds too much. Some of the cars sound good enough, some sound like shyte and i just tend to steer clear of them.

As for the suspension, i am RUBBISH at tuning so just try to drive around the curbs that unsettle the car in standard trim. With PD changing everything all the time its bloody frustrating. They are obviously looking for the perfect model but all they end up doing is braking something else ! we all know that story so i wont rave on :p

One thing i noticed in some of the PCARS vids is that some of the cars looked to rotate from the centre of the car, not sure i have seen GT6 do that ? I dont have much to compare though, so i suppose if Rizza says the physics are heaps better i will just have to take his word on it.

Looking forward to more info though. Will hold off on the PS$ till the player reviews come out.;)
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  13. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    No Livery editor on consoles? Well Stu looks like we will be investing in a new PC each ;)

I did answer a poll they had on their FB page about if we (potential customers) wanted a livery editor on PS4, so almost sounds like (reading between the lines) they may have to sacrifice something else to give it to us, but what? o_O
  14. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    I will get a new PC if i can move in with you mate. Am pretty certain the missus would divorce me !

Ryzza said "Custom car liveries (i.e. the ones with real brands/sponsors) are made in Photoshop/Gimp. Enables a great degree of creative freedom, and I think the plan is to be able to share them in the Steam Workshop on PC, but you most likely won't see custom liveries on console at this stage (maybe in an update post-release)

*sigh*
  15. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    [​IMG]
  16. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Nooooo,
    [​IMG]

lol
    Clevohead likes this.
  17. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Or perhaps
    image.jpg
    Anon666 and Clevohead like this.
  18. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    ROFL
    Clevohead likes this.
  19. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Ok that's my favourite, but I was also thinking....
    [​IMG]
    Cyber_STIG_77 and S_CLOSE like this.
  20. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Thats just too scary a thought Clevo
    Clevohead likes this.