RC Cars

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by beakeroo, Sep 20, 2018.

1. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Anyone into RC cars here? I've just bought my kid a Traxxas Slash 1/10 (brushed model TRA58034-1) and was wondering if the battery is interchangeable with a LIPO battery?
  2. Viperzed

Viperzed GT7 League Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    Hey beaker
    I was heavy into RC Cars a few years ago. The Traxxas Slash is a mean beast, you'll have some fun. From memory the XL-5 which is the Slash stock ESC is not Lipo compatible due to safety issues as it can't read the low voltage. You can buy a LVC alarm or voltage display to make it compatible for around $15 but I'd suggest upgrading to a brushless system (ESC and motor) as soon as you can to run Lipo.
    beakeroo likes this.
  3. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    Cheers viper, I'll look into that later then if or when he gets problems with it. I'll maybe buy a Chinese clone from HobbyKing and replace parts with meatier stuff as they break down. Do you know if I can switch the batteries out on this model though so we can have spares charged up?
  4. Viperzed

Viperzed GT7 League Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    If they're NimH then anything is compatible so just buying any NimH battery will get you a spare. I'd hold off on LiPo for now as it also adds a crap tonne of power
    beakeroo likes this.