Red Flag Rules - Discussion

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    once full 16 player party chat is released, it could make everything a lot easier.
    Noxrai likes this.
  2. Jim_aka_The_Man

Jim_aka_The_Man Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jim_aka_TheMan
    As much as it would be a great idea, it would be incredibly difficult to implement.

As has been previously stated, things like this and d/c’s and other network/game/hardware issues are ‘our’ versions of the mechanical failures of the real world.

They suck, no one plans for them to happen, but they are a part of all racing.
    Buster_Danis and Kephin_07 like this.
  3. GT_macneil29

GT_macneil29 Rookie

PSN ID
    Macneil_29
    Stop the race re start with remaining laps and current grid order?
  4. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    This. If you're not in party chat. You don't get a chance for a red flag appeal. I have often missed what is posted in the chat feed because I'm too focused on driving. Talking and listening is so much easier
    Tristan Jones and X3rx3s44 like this.
  5. LE_bananajosh

LE_bananajosh Team Driver

PSN ID
    GT_bananajosh1
    I agreed with you
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  6. Kephin_07

Kephin_07 Rookie

PSN ID
    BiGkEv_87
    For me, this is just a part of motorsport. I grew up racing karts so maybe it's easier for me to accept things outside of our control ruining races and even championships. Is this not the reason we have drop rounds?

I would just use the standard motorsport red flag system where results are based on a count back to the previous lap.

I think there's potentially a big risk of this opening a can of worms down the track as to what dictates a red flag situation. Is that little bit of lag that happens when someone leaves a lobby enough for someone to call a "glitch" and red flag a race?
    I think there was an issue with lag in our div 2 race on lap 1 turn 1 (@X3rx3s44 ??) that caused a spin and ruined a couple of people's races. Is that enough to be called a "glitch" and let's red flag it?
    These are obviously a little extreme, but if there's a rule for one, why not for all?
    Apex_64, Noxrai and X3rx3s44 like this.
  7. Jamie

Jamie Rookie

PSN ID
    Moozer81
    My opinion is that it has to be considered part of normal racing. Issues happen in real life, and it really does suck for that person, but to restart the race after red flag could affect so many more people. For example, someone could have a lead of 10 seconds, pit a lap before the glitch/red flag and then with the race restart be down in 5th. The order might not be representative of peoples strategy either in races where two tyre compounds must be used. Start on hard, drop back in the field and then on restart those in front need to go onto hards while you go to the softer option. Very hard to set some rules around this that satisfy all conditions.
    Apex_64, emmo46, Noxrai and 2 others like this.
  8. X3rx3s44

X3rx3s44 Rookie

PSN ID
    X3rx3s44
    I agree that as part of racing things happen, I just don't like it to destroy peoples races when it is beyond anybodys control like a glitch or bug.

I also raced karts when I was younger and :):):):) does happen sometimes and you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've even ended up in hospital as a result so I know that feeling better than most.

I feel like lag spikes are a different kettle of fish and are just unfortunate (online) racing incidents much like @Pubs16 and I had on lap 1 Sunday as he lagged and spun exiting McPhillamy and left me with nowhere to go except straight into him and then the wall, that's just racing in my opinion.

The night before, the RoOz World Endurance Tour guys had a 3 hour endurance race at Le Mans and with 25mins to go my teammate hit the marbles and lost it whilst making a move for the GTLM lead, heavy damage so pitted to repair and came home miles back in third, again, :):):):) happens and that's just motorsport but actual glitches and bugs I don't (personally) class in the same category.
    Kephin_07 and Apex_64 like this.
  9. Buster_Danis

Buster_Danis Team Driver

I was sent out of the pits before I’d finished refuelling during last seasons Autopolis race, having to save fuel to make it home. (although I didn’t lose a lap thankfully!)
    Apex_64 likes this.
  10. Russell

Russell Professional

PSN ID
    BigChopperDog
    Once everyone had completed the first lap that's it. No chance of a red flag unless multiple serious issues at the same time. The fuel glitch is a rare one. The odds of it happening again to the same person twice In a row even more rare. I would put it down to bad luck personally. It does suck but :):):):) happens
  11. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    If somebody is unfortunate to be affected by glitch that is one unhappy camper, If we then have a red flag restart how many unhappy campers could we generate then if it doesn't benefit everybody.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    fezza, Bluemoon, Kephin_07 and 4 others like this.
  12. Apex_64

Apex_64 Professional

PSN ID
    apex_64
    :poop: happens.
    Riccardo still wants to know where the **** his tyres were o_O
  13. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    My 2c....

I think it makes things far more complicated than it needs to be....
    Policing when, how and why you have a red flag will present far more issues than having 1 person pissed off for having their night stuffed by a once in a season glitch.

the only time i can remember doing it was network issues where we lost half the field in a GT6 race.... I think was a re-run....
    In our PCARS league, we only restart if there is a cluster :):):):) in the first lap.....(or if someone DSC from the room). We have 1 restart, and after that, it is go for the rest of the race..... The guys know this, and short of being pissed when it happens, we just move on and treat it as a mechanical failure.

I guarantee if its a network based thing, you could end up with 2 or 3 redflags per race which will get real tedious real quick for the guys who dont have issues..... If its a known game glitch, would be better to advise of it in the driver briefing (am sure you have guys who do multiple race runs in the leadup) and then try to find a work around....And dont anyone mention the elephant in the room, that driver that 'may' cause a redflag to suit their own result, particularly when a championship is on the line.

Just like the car / track selections, you wont keep everyone happy, so i would advise against making this a 'thing' when things can be hard enough as it is.
    Stu
  14. LUUROX_22

LUUROX_22 New Recruit

PSN ID
    LUUROX_22
    My opinion is that if there was to be a restart due to a disconnect or glitch, it could possibly make the entire session go for longer and by that time it will finish late. A possible system that will be fair on the driver and avoid lengthening the session could be: if by any reason a driver gets disconnected and can prove its through no fault of their own and complete a certain race distance (possibly more than half the race distance) then the driver should get half points based on the position they were in when they were disconnected.
  15. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    The issue with that is that you could have drivers going backwards in a race, know they are going to get passed, and then pull the plug and end up with more points that what they would have finished with if they went through to the end of the race.... Have had plenty of guys rage quit, but then claimed innocence.
    emmo46, Noxrai and LennonLegend1993 like this.
  16. LennonLegend1993

LennonLegend1993 Team Driver

Tbh I think Stu is on the ball.
    Any which way you look at it, or try to implement it, the repercussions or effect on other drivers could be worse than continuing. As well as being a whole lot more hassle to police etc
    Whilst it's amazing to win championships and do this and do that, I think majority of us just like having some clean racing here and thats why we turn up each week.
    If something happens and you disconnect or glitch beyond lap 1, I think it's just unlucky and we move on. Likewise with restarts; player A gets stuck so gets a restart. On the 2nd restart, player A is fine but player B is stuck, in those situations it's unfortunate but we continue.
  17. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Perhaps reserve red flags and race restarts for more 'pro' events i.e. Div 1 + 2 only or for special events (i.e. races with other leagues) or endurance events?

For more 'grass-roots' events (for want of a better word) such as Div 3 / 4 where players (A) are perhaps more likely to have glitches caused by bad hardware (routers, etc) and (B) are typically more casual compared to pro these glitches can be treated as unfortunate racing incidents similar to what happens to racers in real life with car failure or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    It may also encourage some Div 3 drivers to reach out for Div 2 qualification???
  18. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Just thinking out side the box, The only other way that you could do this is to have a race director that can actually call a safety car impartially. You would need to have mics activated..... a glitch happens, race director can verify, all line up behind the safety car (leader), until said glitch is solved for the driver, race starts on next lap at start finish line......

I still think i could create more issues than it solves, but that is the only way i could see it work with out being possibly exploited....
    Easyprey007 and LennonLegend1993 like this.
  19. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    As I said further up thread, proof (or verification) is the sticking point with all of this. Presumably your Race Director is not someone actively racing? The nature of the glitches to date affect only the one person i.e. they are the only ones that see or experience the glitch. It still come down to trust.
    stucar17 likes this.
  20. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Thank you to everyone for their input.

It looks like at this stage, that game glitches like the one risky experienced, will continue to not induce a 'red flag'

It is unfortunate to anyone it happens to, but that's the way it is.
    stucar17, Bluemoon, emmo46 and 4 others like this.