PCARS-2 [Completed] RTEC 2018 - RaceOnOz Team Endurance Championship

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by its-benny-racer, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Bounty05

Bounty05 Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Bounty_0_5
    Bounty - Racing LMP2
    Gary - Racing GTE
    Racepace (JDM) - Racing LMP2 - subbing for Slambo
    BlueXR8 - Racing GTE - subbing for Stu
    garyw61 and Racepace like this.
  2. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    Hi all, just asking for a bit of advise really. I'm not in this championship and only filled in for Bathurst which was great fun. I am running in a GT3 race series on Saturday mornings with 90 minute races. The time progression is 10-15 times so it goes through the night for part of the race. I have been struggling to keep heat in the tyres once night kicks in. I know my pace backs off to avoid damage and as the the race wears on to keep my lapses in concentration from getting me in too much trouble. but I didn't think this was enough to cause the issues. The temperature drops enough that grip is a problem. Pit stops are allowed and are needed for refueling. I have run hard tyres at both races so far because the track temperatures start in the 40s.
    Does anyone else have or has had this issue and how did you fix it. I've got a good setup on the car, just need a little refining of the brake and radiator ducts.
    Cheers
  3. Racepace

Racepace Rookie

PSN ID
    JDM_TUNING-FD3S
    generally you could do this... during the high temps extend you braking zones. having a maybe 50/60% duct opening on front. and 60/70 ducts rear pushing your brake bias more to rear, reason I say this is to balance the cooling and when its night time you generally push your bias forward. 57-60front to stabilise it when your night racing. also now your using more front bias and ducts are semi closed. you can go back to a normal braking marker and keep temp to your tyres.
    rears normally dont drop if your using them. you could add some .6 toe in to scrub them a little. and take camber out to increase tyre patch. engine temps is always a compromise more so for the high temps. if you can get it to cool down on straights to 100 your probably where you want to be.
    Woody likes this.
  4. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
  5. Racepace

Racepace Rookie

PSN ID
    JDM_TUNING-FD3S
    it will change each track you go to so remember that if you end up using alot of time between stops you can get away with lower ducts eg. LeMans.
  6. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

From my own experience, tyre pressures tend to matter more than temperature. Temperature tends to matter more if it's really cold or really hot, but an increase or decrease in pressure will result in a less than optimal contact patch, which has more affect on grip than track or tyre temp. Having said that, tyre temperature does impact pressure.

For a modern GT or LMP car, The ideal pressure window varies between about 1.77 and 1.94 depending on track layout.
    For tracks with lots of corners I tend to try to run between 1.77 and 1.83.
    For tracks with really long straights like Le Mans, I go for between 1.88 and 1.94.
    For wet conditions I go for the lower end of the scale for more grip.
    In all cases, I try to have the rears a bit lower than the front, and I try to have them even left to right.

It takes practice/testing to get them right, as these are the operating pressures so it takes at least 3 or 4 laps for them to stabilize. Many settings can affect this also, cambers, brake ducts, toe in/out. So in many cases, changing tune will also require you to retest your running tyre pressures.

For a race with a wide variation in track temps, practice in the colder temps and make sure the pressures aren't too low. Also beware when you come out of the pits after a stop, often being stopped in the pits with hot brakes will cause the pressures to rise before you get out of the pits, again it may take a lap or 2 for them to settle so you have to drive more careful.
    Woody and Racepace like this.
  7. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    Thanks for the lengthy reply. I'd love to have time to do a full race distance throughout the week in preparation but I don't get the time so I need to use the weekend race as a kind of test. :D
    Does your set up change a lot between a quali set up (for quickest lap time) and endurance setup?
  8. TheJuzzy

TheJuzzy Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    TheJuzzy
    Grippy was one , can't remember the other .
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  9. its-benny-racer

I've been thinking of ideas for a future full tune/full damage series, RTEC or maybe even a shorter series.

3 Porsche Cup
    3 Cars
    • Cayman GT4
    • 911 GT3 R
    • 962C
    5 teams of 3, teams can only 1 of each car in any round.

I've come to realise that more than anything, people want good close racing. And it is a bit of pot luck when running classes of cars as to how close the racing is, it seems that 1 or 2 of the cars always dominate the field.
    I was a bit inspired by the fact that the Porsche Cup racing on the weekend was honestly a better show than the V8s.
    garyw61, Spidey_11 and Woody like this.
  10. Racepace

Racepace Rookie

PSN ID
    JDM_TUNING-FD3S
    I'd be interested in this.
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  11. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    I'd be keen too
    Spidey_11 likes this.
  12. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    Good idea and I'm keen! I like the current series format also (full damage, tuning, 1 Saturday night a month, 80 minute races etc etc). Would you look to change anything?

New series, new cars, new driver line up. Team FCR are looking for a third driver. Please submit expressions of interest to me via private message :thumbsup:
    its-benny-racer and Woody like this.
  13. its-benny-racer

Yeah, overall format would stay the same. 1 race per month so that people have an opportunity to tune.

With the shorter car list, I will be able to put up a base tune for each car so that people have a starting point to for setting up the car to suit their driving style and the track/conditions.
    Spidey_11, garyw61 and Woody like this.
  14. Road2fury

Road2fury New Recruit

Hi guys i interested in joining a championship what time are the races run in real life time
    Spidey_11 and garyw61 like this.
  15. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Approximately 8.30pm Sydney time on a Saturday night.
    Woody and Spidey_11 like this.
  16. nigegunz

nigegunz Professional

there's a drive free in the Corvette C7r for the last race of this season at the Nurburgring Combined track mate, 2 hr 5 min race happening on Sat 10th November. let me know if you're interested for this madness
    Woody likes this.
  17. Woody

Woody Team Driver

PSN ID
    DrMoose007
    What sort of consistent lap times would you be looking for?
  18. Road2fury

Road2fury New Recruit

hi I in for the Nurburging lap times well in gte at Le Mans I I think I never been faster then 4 mins
  19. nigegunz

nigegunz Professional

consistency should produce a good result Woody, times are going to be in the 8:10 - 8:20's for gte in the dry & could be well over a minute slower per lap in decent rain conditions
    Woody likes this.
  20. nigegunz

nigegunz Professional

2 weeks to the season finale fellas, been a great tuned series so thanx to all who got involved & supported it

couple of things before the nurburga event:
    it'd be good to see a points table @its-benny-racer
    a decision on how the start of the race will begin
    another 8.30pm start Sydney time also?
    Spidey_11, Woody and garyw61 like this.