ACC SA and RC ratings?

Discussion in 'ACLOZ Past Seasons' started by marty, Jan 23, 2020.

1. marty

marty AC Server Legend

After last nights racing I noticed that even SA80 the extras weren't always capable of decent racing, I am experimenting with adding RC restriction to servers too and see if this can filter out those that cant race form any open server races we have.

I want to encourage new people to jump in but not if they drop the standard of racing to where our regulars don't want to run in these events.

The ratings do kind of depend on how many km people have done racing so its not always a true indicator of where people are at. I know SA has been made much easier as many complained about their ratings in the official forums and now it likely means even 80 is maybe too soft and lets some in that aren't great to race.

Those that don't race much here likely wont have ratings even above our current settings but that's why we have the whitelist.

I would like to know what ratings people are at to get a baseline of what we should be looking at setting servers at for open fun runs.

Only really need to know SA and RC, RC hasn't been running that long and those with not too many races will likely still be fairly low numbers. Even I mostly only race on our scheduled nights as there isn't really any other racing going during the week, I have raced AI once since 1.2. MY SA is 99 and RC81 which goes up 1 or 2 points most races so its still a fairly slow progress there. Possibly many will still be under 50RC and I really don't know how that will work as a server filter.
  2. nanlatt

nanlatt ACC Server Legend Gold Member

Currently SA98 - RC44
    marty likes this.
  3. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

SA99
    RC45
    marty likes this.
  4. Captain Barracuda

Captain Barracuda Rookie

SA99
    RC99

It's not an issue for whitelisters of course, so maybe and RC limitation of 60 to begin with just to see what quality of player that yields
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  5. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

SA 99
    RC 34?

I dont ever see this move really, have never raced against the AI though
  6. marty

marty AC Server Legend

If you race AI it will likely build quick, mine goes up 1 or 2 points most races but thats just the 3 races per week here and its only been going up the last month or so.

I went RC 45 for now as a test to see of its noticeably different and SA85 seeing all our guys are likely close to 99 which shows 80 is probably too low and maybe will do SA90 next wednesday for my last fun run before gping on holiday.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  7. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

SA 80 and RC 99.

Been doing a lot of shorter races against AI which seem to boost RC quite quickly but not move SA much even with numerous consecutive races without any contact.
    Rolz and marty like this.
  8. Sparksy84

Sparksy84 Rookie

I raced alot against AI so my RC is quite high.
    RC:99, SA 65
    marty likes this.
  9. Flamebadger

Flamebadger ACC Server Legend

RC: 81 SA: 92

My SA tends to hover around the low 90s as I do probably once a week spend a weekend morning on public servers, and that really is just playing Russian Roulette except with 5 loaded chambers and one empty one....
  10. marty

marty AC Server Legend

So seems RC depends a bit on how much someone races with AI, kind of a hard one to see what level to put it at as MP only guys that only race a few times a week will likely be under 50 even if over time they end up at 99.

I will see if 45 makes any difference to the min driving level in the public servers though Rolz or whoever sets server while I am away can experiment with these settings if running any open server races.
  11. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Maybe I should try this AI racing thing people keep talking about...
  12. marty

marty AC Server Legend

We do have servers up 24/7 but the race servers are mostly empty with only scheduled nights amlnd hotlap servers getting any real action. The lobby doesnt help our cause in the slightest but empty servers always stay empty as they need someone to join first.

I dont have as much spare time to race currently but if I do I will jump on one of our servers hoping others may join. Rarely others join but joining other random servers with low restrictions I find mostly a waste of time and Id rather run solo in a server. The AI can give decent racing but even still I only raced them once in the last month.

If ROOZ users would want servers set up in some other way they will use them more we can do it. There has really been no suggestions or even comments about these servers and as the hotlap server is private it really gives very little exposure to the league publicly in game.

I even tried reduced rating restrictions on some servers for a few weeks and they were still empty most of the time. Personally I wouldnt use a low restriction server anyway and as can be seen with ratings of those here, racing at much lower entry servers simply means others that can enter will be considerably worse to race with in a server. If you get 5 or more into a decent server then others will join, without ping limits its best to use the singapore servers for random public racing. Even if our pings are a bit higher all others that join should be under 250ms expect for South Americans.

If there is nobody to race with in MP then clearly AI is the best option but this is also where I feel ACC has failed the most to date. The lobby really sucks, even with decent ratings systems to help give good pickup racing, its avoided mostly by the UI and general userbase. The ratings were better when it wasnt so easy to get 99SA but still people avoid higher SA servers and somehow expect better racing with people rated very low because they are not great to race with. New users that can race can be whitelisted as it takes time to build ratings so thats good but still our servers are mostly empty.

If in the end more people would rather race AI then MP then casual MP racing will be even worse then it is now but its still probably your best choice for a decent race at any time.

Hopefully servers and mp lobby gets a significant update in the near future, we could easily run nightly scheduled races on Aussie or Singapore servers but the current admin tools just dont make this reasonably doable.
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  13. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Probably worth booting up at least one short format server, 15minutes race with a short ish prac and quali, 10 min prac, 5 min quali. The quick turn around looks to be popular.

I think RC doesn’t build very well in MP for some reason. I just did a quick 15 minutes AI race at Barcelona and web from 34 to 38 RC
  14. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

personally I would much prefer to race MP all the time but for me this just isn’t possible - I have country internet and a deal with the missus that Mon and Wed are my nights and the rest are do whatever - which means no MP racing for me, so I generally do a lot of AI in between league races
  15. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

SA 93
    RC 21
    I have never raced the AI in ACC. I'm only interested in MP racing. If I need to boost my RC though I'll do some AI racing.

I pretty much agree with your analysis @marty. TBH though I think any rating system is doomed to failure for public servers. Without extensive human or sophisticated AI stewarding systems I can't see how they could weed out bad racers without harming their brand. iRacing is probably closest to solving it as that element is meant to be a key part of their service. Outside of that, league racing is the solution (at least for me) and I don't think you can beat it :).

Of course Leagues can't run without peeps who voluntarily put in inordinate amounts of time and effort and who are effectively adding big globs of value to the original game for free (thanks again all you admins!). So let's hope Kunos add a bit more support to the league side of things and let the public server wreckers be wreckers! In fact I reckon they should actively put leagues into the lobby!

I also agree with @Godzilla that a permanent short format server is needed to attract racers that don't want to commit a lot of time until they know what quality of racing they'll get. If us ROOZer's support that server by populating it whenever possible then we may attract more good racers to the league.

Another thought. Maybe we could run a good old AC server as that is still going plenty strong and could allow us to convert some good drivers over to ACC. And also because... variety!!! :D

I'm happy to throw my hat into the ring as an admin BTW as I'd like to contribute more. I used to be an rFactor modder and put too many hours of my life into making stuff for free, so why not do that again eh? o_O
  16. marty

marty AC Server Legend

Generall there has been at least one short sessions server over the last few months, 6 to 10 min qualy and 15 to 20 min races. There may be stacked sessions to mix up time of day of the races but all sessions are pretty short.

In general the lobby setup really doesnt help as no matter how I set filters our servers rarely show anywhere but the bottom of the list, locals are shown all the huge ping servers first so it doesnt encourage them to join regional servers and the lobby seems not to favour higher rated servers even if someone sets filters to clean racing and low latency it shows the same list.

If a server has a few people in it then it gets pushed up the lobby list and possibly gets quickjoiners in it but then if its an Aussie server it will get many 300+ pingers join and we have no way of stopping that. This makes aussie public lobbies mostly useless if busy, thats kind of why we tried to run some Singapore servers but these generally get less people join even though in the current system its probably the best geo location for public servers with no ping limits.

If we get tools to set sheduled races without needing an admin present I would set up at least 1 race weekend per night on our servers. Clearly not expecting everyone to race every night and most are already stretched at 1 or 2 nights per week. But there may be others that want some racing other days/nights and this could also get more people into the league if they see some active good mp racing on servers with our name in it.

There really isnt any decent mp racing you can just jump into in our region, if we had cp servers that could probably fill that role. But if we could do similar with ROOZ servers it would help get more into our league possibly.

Who knows if we will get more tools as admins, if the lobby will improve or if cp servers make it to our region. I sure hope at least one of those comes with the next update especially with an intercontinental challenge dlc.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  17. Wally

Wally Team Driver

SA83, RC23. I never race against the AI, only these league races. My RC has been 23 for a long time.
  18. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I did one race against the AI, just a short 15 minute run at Barcelona and a good handful of 15 minute online races after that and RC has now jumped to 57 and climbing quickly. It’s like the one AI race has unlocked it as it didn’t really move before that
  19. marty

marty AC Server Legend

It could be that as I probably only did 1 AI race since RC was reactivated.
  20. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

have to check how I went with RC after last night's MP especially with the battle @tezpez85
    But what did help me was doing a few 10min races against some high skill/aggressive AI at Barcelona yesterday arvo...
    Just start last out of 24 and see how I go... the AI really have come a long way... was never an AI fan, but thought I'd give them a try to get my eye in for last nights race... I think it helped.