Season 5 Car selection (phase 1)

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by OuttaAngst, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

With all the excitement around the Pagnian competition Season 5 organisation has been delayed.

So I'd like to hear from the members to suggest cars they would like to race in season 5. The options in the arcade car list are diminishing, so i'd be interested to know if we want to start racing garage cars. We could implement a rule to have people to publish their setups so that not everyone needs to spend their week working out a good setup. Regardless, i have found that the time difference between a good setup and a great setup is minimal. Typically if you are way off the pace then you have more to learn about the car/track rather than the setup.

So suggest away.
  2. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    OK, Season 1 was a high powered AWD car on slicks
    Season 2 was a FR race car on slicks
    Season 3 was a mid-power FR sports car on sports tyres
    Season 4 was a high power MR sports car on staggered tyres

To keep things interesting I suggest a FF car. Just to mix it up a bit, plus there isn't really any super high powered FF cars there (unless you mod the crap out of one).

I like the idea of garage cars as the arcade garage is diminishing fast in options, it means everyone would have to buy one if they didn't have whatever it was. Maybe stick only to premium vehicles so they are easy to purchase. In terms of mods/setups, I would suggest just saying everything must be set to default and no modications (apart from an oil change). It will have to be self-enforcing though, but I would be happy to rely on the honesty of my fellow racers not to throw on a ECU chip or airfilter for a couple extra HP!

This way, it still keeps the sunday races simple and easy to get into. I think there are plenty of other series that allow the tuning.
  3. Aza2672

Aza2672 Aron Baker Gold Member

PSN ID
    AB_Saints_25 (Formerly Aza2672)
    I've voted and gone with the majority but I'm happy to drive what ever we decide to drive as a group
  4. natmanscoop

natmanscoop Professional Gold Member

I think there's still a season or 2 in the arcade garage.
    Putting my hand up again for 2-car format.

Would add that extra strategic element over the season to keep interest levels up.
    Cars wouldn't need to be perfectly matched, as long as they're close most rounds.

'66 Cobra 427 vs '07 GTR ? Grunt vs Grip !
  5. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    My point exactly, pre season 4! and boy....didn't interest levels die in the arse.
  6. Juzzo

Juzzo Administrator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

PSN ID
    Juzzotec
    The success of the Pagnian competition proved that garage cars, premuim and tuned should be an option. I think it opens up a whole new level of excitement. I think limited modifications should be allowed in my opinion. This is at organisers discretion ofcourse but some modifications should be allowed.
    Lets step it up boys.
  7. KILLADRIFT

KILLADRIFT New Recruit

Im with Aza, i will be happy to race whatever is decided by the group. i did vote arcade for the fact of having it simple, i feel the only way to have the garage as an option is to allow full mods, and just applying a PP cap and tyre restriction, otherwise the rules are to hard to govern and no way to enforce honesty...
  8. SEIDO463

SEIDO463 Liam

PSN ID
    SEIDO463
    Sounds good to me Castro.
  9. Dougz32

Dougz32 Rookie

I think we should keep using arcade cars. It just makes it so much more simple, and doesn't disadvantage those who dont have the time or the knowledge to tune. I think we need to keep to sunday league to stock cars. I like knowing that every car is the same and basically the only advantage someone has over me is talent..
  10. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    I agree with Dougz on the tuning/modifications part. As I mentioned before, to allow tuning in the Sunday league goes against the whole reason that series was started. To be an accessible and open way to get into clean, fun and yet serious racing. There are other series being run within this site that allow tuning to satisfy those who have the talent & patience to do that.

If the consensus is though that using garage cars cannot be enforced in regards to the use of modifications etc, then sticking with the arcade list is fine by me.
  11. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Hi guys,

Am keen to stay with the cars from the recommended list, but would like it if we could have a choice of more than 1 car. Have listed below 3 cars that have very similar PP and are all FR. I dont have time to tune, prac and race so thats why i went with the recommended list. YOU WOULD PICK 1 CAR FOR THE SEASON AND USE IT EVERY RACE.

Will do some testing in the next few days and see how close they are, and which cars suit what types of track. (anyone interested in joining me? Please !!)

I think i remember that in the past (before i got involved in the series) these cars were looked at but one was more dominant than the others?? Might need to have 2 power circuits, 2 technical circuits, and 3 somewhere in between to suit the different cars evenly.?

Dodge : Challenger SRT8 '08 490PP FR
    Maserati : GranTurismo S '08 489PP FR
    BMW : M3 Coupe '07 488PP FR

On a side note, i read on gtplanet that a big update is due at the end of this month. Should we wait till then, especially if they add more tracks, and more importantly if they change the recommended list.

stu
  12. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Good input Stu,

But mate make sure you reference the online recommended garage list not the dealership when quoting PP (or other specs). For some reason they're not the same, and it definitely makes a difference on what is and isn't evenly matched.

If in doubt, check out the wiki GT5 Recommended Garage (Sorted by PP)
  13. GTDutch

GTDutch Rookie

PSN ID
    GTP_Dutch
    I voted for arcade again this season as keeping it simple is one of the attractions for this community's racing, and like doug said, knowing that its someones talent that puts them ahead of you rather than them figuring out some ride height config thats just naturally faster (i have a memory of the first seasonal time trial being decided basically on a wierd ride height anomaly...). But of course, im prepared to beleive everyone here is here for honest racing therefore some level of transparency wound counter this sufficiently for a garage based PP limit if we need to.

But i dont think we need to go there yet as im sure a good season could be had from the 3 WRC cars or the good old lancer vs wrx which would offer some car variation/choice, good speed, and comparable performance (i believe) for at least another season (plus stus recomendation above). I havent played the recomended garage enough to know more but these 3 popped out instantly as easy options for a multi-car scenario.
  14. FloodSim

FloodSim Rookie

PSN ID
    FloodSim
    I feel there is still life in the Arcade garage yet.
    And I would be willing to put my vote behind a multi-make format like others have suggested. Probably with a PP limit just to even things out further.
    There is a good selection of cars in the 470-490PP range.

But personally I am a firm believer that slower cars could produce much closer racing than we've seen previously. So I also like the look of cars in the 360-380PP range. Of course we would have to have tyres chosen to match.
  15. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Yer I'm with sticking to Arcade for this main series for all the reasons above. You are all in the same car and its up to how you handle that car. Not with you on the slower car's though flood, i have had my closest races with the faster cars, the Mclaren this season and the castrol Toms Supra. The tamora was a pain to practice and racing was close until you made a tiny mistake then it took a lot of lonely laps to catch up. But that's just me, i like the fast cars with a bit of grip and you don't have to wait to long for the next bend, the slower cars you have to give them heaps less grip to make them half exciting which means you only got the cornering to look froward to after that long wait on the straights.
  16. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Oops! I did get the PP from gt planet but from the list you linked the PP 471, 471 and 472. Different weights and HP marry up well I think.
  17. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea I took all those wiki figures direct from my PS3 lounge recommended garage.
    Most other lists I've seen still reference the dealership figures. Don't ask my why they're different?! :p But then why wouldn't it be since online physics are different! In fact, it seems not a whole lot IS as one would expect across GT5.... :lol:

For instance; on dealership PP the Cobra and the Art Morrison Corvette are a good match, but in a lobby they are quite a mismatch on PP and performance testing was consistent with this.

The cars you've suggested are a good match either way.
  18. Chevwah

Chevwah Rookie

I think the 3 cars mentioned, (if they prove to be similar in actual performance) would be fantastic to see racing each other. I'm all for a multi car setup, but will most likely be racing regardless of the final decision. I voted for garage just to try something different, i like tuning but i don't think i'm any good at it lol.
  19. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    All good, just as a side, I posted in gtplanet to see if one of the car rating threads would test out the 3 cars I mentioned, and a few guys are going to test their "closeness" in the next few days. Hope this is ok.

I will get on in the next few days and test with anyone any car they think might be good. Just remember I am an average steerer so my input might not be great !!!!

Cheers
    Stu
  20. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Only issue with a multi arcade car format is that the cars are relatively low in performance (~470PP). Lower than the Tamora!

A PP limited garage multi car format could allow for the ~550PP performance people want and choice of car.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.