GT-Sport [Completed] ROOZ TCR Cup (REC support series)

Discussion in 'Community Events' started by REVO_Bryan, Mar 4, 2018.

1. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    Yes. Well done guys an even cut all around the circuit
  2. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Ozglenn likes this.
  3. REVO_Bryan

REVO_Bryan Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    Sorry Emmo, I forgot to mention that we will be taking only the accumulated points and not round points.
  4. REVO_Bryan

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    Remaining round dates confirmed:
    Round 2 - 1 July
    Round 3 - 16 September
    Round 4 - 9 December
  5. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    Sandbag Racing living up to its name
  6. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    No worries, I'll sort that later today. The points for teams, are they the top two from each race or the top two for the night?
  7. REVO_Bryan

PSN ID
    SR_BryanF
    Each race
  8. Knuckles

Knuckles Professional

There was a few spots we missed pre race but ee made sure they were sorted in the race
    CaptainRisky21 likes this.
  9. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    It can be a bit devastating racing against faster racers...though I usually have a fun time with it anyway - getting a close race with a back marker or two is a bonus. I didn't spend any time tuning, which made that even worse!

I got last in the first race, which gave me pole in the second - so without further ado, here is "how to finish last from pole in a print race"

I was actually happy with my first lap, staying in pole ahead of slap. Figured there would be a few nudges on the way back down the order, the one from slap and emmo felt a bit rough, never mind! Was kicking myself wondering how much room to leave for Pat a few laps in, took a wide slow line on turn 1 - turned out grass makes for a very slow line, and I shot down to 9th. Most of you got past nice and clean though!! I did stay close to the other back markers for the rest...though ran wide and got a penalty 2nd last lap and was soon 10 seconds behind. I might practise a bit more next race!!
    Matthyus and Jcp like this.
  10. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Sorry about the slap. :oops: I would advise though that in those circumstances the best way to keep people from being underneath which leaves you vulnerable to getting pushed wide is to go in tighter, get to the apex sooner even if it means hugging the apex for a while and don't go in too hot so that you are able to get the power on early for a good fast exit.
    Tristan Jones likes this.
  11. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I think it is this way of racing that is the difference between the divisions. In D4 we race clean (not saying othe other divisions don't) but we allow each racer their space and lines. The shunt I got on the reverse grid on T1 would be a prime example of racers from higher divisions racing their pace but not really leaving space for those in the lower divisions whose braking markers, lones, etc are vastly different too. IMO. I haven't watched the replay but this has occurred several times with cross division events. Perhaps we as div 4 need to be more aggresive but I / we overall feel that forcing your nose into a tighter apex which will result in the person in front likely being shunted is not good racing or sportsmanship. Am I wrong in this assumption?
  12. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    It would be the difference in race craft. Normally the guys in higher divisions would see a move coming a bit further back than a guy without the same experience and would move to cover a run up the inside earlier by moving to the inside and creating less room.
  13. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    Would it help if a quicker driver jumped on with some of the predominantly div 4 teams for some practice in their teams car?
  14. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    I agree that forcing your nose into a space that is closing is just not on. My point was to try not to leave a space for others to be tempted into forcing their nose in, make it clear there is no gap. Running wide around the outside of a corner is just begging for someone to dive in and leaves you vulnerable to be pushed even further wide.
  15. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I fully support what you have said and is 100% true. Does this apply to Lap 1 Turn 1, when we are meant to give racing room until the field stretches out a bit? As is mentioned by @Hatfield is ALL driver briefings...

I'm guessing to see what is possible in the car? You are welcome to if you wish.
    We didn't tune bar dropping the max speed. Couldn't find 1 that either we liked or worked well. The other side of the coin is just learning where to take better lines to improve overall pace (like your overtake on me on the last corner, you just flew by, but my tires were already at their max capacity for grip. Additionally I felt I was at max speed on that corner through my testing ~145kph. This means that we need to be on track more to find better lines.)
  16. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Revised charts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hatfield and REVO_Bryan like this.
  17. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I agree.
    What you are describing seems to be more of a defensive driving nature, that may put you off the correct line for that corner?
    I've almost always tried to maintain the correct (hopefully fastest) line through a corner and if someone is in front of me about to take the corner I'll let them and catch them on the exit.
    I'll only take the inside line if I can manage to overtake prior to the corner via a late brake or sheer speed.
  18. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    I agree, the passing driver must be beside the other driver before turn in to the apex. It is a grey area though because there are many variables, difference in entry speed, radius of the corner etc. I have a policy of not trying to pass on fast corners where there is really only one line because you can't both be on it and generally there is no room to concede. The fast kink two corners from the finish line last night in my mind was not a spot to try for an overtake. If you are faster than the guy in front there then sit back a little on approach, get a better corner speed then make the pass before the next corner where there is much more room.
  19. Tristan Jones

Tristan Jones Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Jonesy82360
    I think what i really need is a few more practise laps...and in this last race using a tune other than pretty much stock.

Having said that, i can aggressively defend, but when everyone is lapping a few seconds quicker than me I generally feel a bit differently about it. I was happy with a lot of my racing...the video obviously showing the parts I wasn't happy with my driving, making small or large mistakes that cost speed and positions.

I still have a bit to learn about when to appreciate the clean air in front and when to defend - usually clean air focus gets me better lap times. It still feels dirty defending against someone who I know laps much quicker than me. Sounds like I need to read Playing to Win again...http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

I think xl has nailed it - it feels pushy, but thats because we aren't looking as far ahead or anticipating moves like the higher divs do. To date, my expectation of overtaking manoeuvres have mostly been assessing relative qually times and await the inevitable, and ends up being little more than capitalising on small mistakes/ corners where relative speed is greatest. My greatest defence has been to go fast and forget about whoever is behind me.

Moving in to defend seems counterproductive, as it slows lap time, but if done in anticipation of an overtaking move, would be great defense.

Has anyone got a good racecraft guide they can link?

Yh it would! That would require me to get some time online and practising though, I'll hit u up if I c u online!
    emmo46 and Hatfield like this.
  20. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    It doesn't have to be a move that necessarily slows down your lap times. If you notice somebody is approaching you fairly quickly coming in to a corner and if you spot them early enough (3-5 car lengths depending on speed), a little dummy move towards the inside of the track to make them go even tighter in to the corner would normally deter them. If they then decide to take the outside, you still have the corner by being on the inside. If you check out the replay again, watch how Hat, Norm and Bryan are passing and defending each other in the reverse grid race. Look for the gaps left for them against the guys in lower divs. Defending a position early and covering an overtake is a lot faster than losing a position in terms of race speed.

Lap 1 Turn 1 is based on your judgement. On tracks like the one we raced last night, there is a lot of track before the real turn 1. Places like Bathurst it is definitely drive as per briefings. If you have clear track to your left and right and need to defend, then it is your right to defend your position, without getting the elbows out too wide.