Tips for slower drivers

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Molch, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    You drive auto? o_O
  2. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    When using the DS3 controller and trying to drive manual I found it quite difficult to co-ordinate my fingers to steer, accelerate/brake and change gears at the same time, so it was easier to just run in Auto.
    Now driving with a wheel I find driving manual to be so much easier and as a result I have found (as Musta mentioned) your braking is alot stronger when used alongside downshifts. When I first started using the wheel and began braking at my usual brake markers (when in auto) I was pulling up well short and had to re-adjust where I brake.

Driving with TTR-Joe last night helped me realise that the gear selection GT6 tells you to be in for the coming corner isn't always the ideal gear and its sometimes better to be in the next highest gear, brake as little as possible (including engine braking/downshifting) and roll through the turn and then drive/accel out of the corner, maintaining your momentum.
    Easy to type, not so easy to put into practice - especially if you don't have your line right.

But I guess that's part of the allure. If it was easy to do perfect lap after perfect lap the game would be boring.
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  3. zampli

zampli Team Driver

Yeah a couple of times being in a higher gear saved me almost half a second after watching chevwah and warrior another time.
    I find it hard to give tips for a game where you only have the wheel to get feeling, even more so after being on a real track once.
    Apart from the brake late (and hardly ever 100 percent), trail brake, keep momentum, get on throttle, etc the rest will just come from practice and then become second nature.
    Would like to analyse warrior though lol, never seen someone so consistently fast and minimizes tyre wear extremely well.
  4. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Yep, always have and now it is hard for an old pensioner like me to readjust, I keep forgetting to change gear if I drive manual.:eek:
    Ad2mny likes this.
  5. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    What wheel you use?
  6. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    G27
  7. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    I learnt to drive manual on high speed ring, took about 2 hours but it really does decrease lap times.
  8. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Easy enough to use the flappy paddles on them, as compared to the dfgt as to why I asked which wheel you use. It was intimidating for me to come from controller to wheel, and I started on the dfgt which had pissy little buttons for the paddles and a fixed sequential shifter on the wrong side of the wheel, so when I was running the dfgt I was running auto as well. Once I got my G27 I couldn't really justify spending that on a wheel to drive auto with those lovely flappy paddles, and 6 speed shifter, I just bit the bullet one night and started using the paddles in a practice room, the next race I used auto to be safe then practiced the following week with the paddles, like my coach at cricket says "It's all just muscle memory" and now it just comes natural to run manual in GT5/6 and hopefully I am a better racer for it.
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  9. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Do you drive manual in your real car(s) emmo? Maybe you should get a gated shifter make it feel more 'at home'.
  10. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    That's true, main reason I bought the paddle adapters, rather than splash on a G27.
    I'm thinking about saving up some cash and buying a better wheel and pedals. Can't complain much about the feel of the DFGT, but the pedals leave a lot to be desired.
  11. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    I drove manual for 16 years before moving to Australia( it was bad enough to drive on the other side of the road) and always uses manual with car games. Really miss having a manual car, although for the boring KIA model I drive makes no difference. I would say emmo to stick to driving manual for a couple of weeks just like Clevo did and I promise you'll be quicker In a few weeks.
  12. smokinscotty

smokinscotty Rookie

PSN ID
    smokinscotty
    I found when using the controller, if you pulsate the brake trigger, you can almost control the downshifts. Been using the wheel for a while so not 100% on this, but I remember pulsating the brake allowed much later braking on the DS3

The other thing I have noticed in the game is cars like the M-B Vision... in the Bathurst seasonal, I could make up time by short shifting (around 1k rpm under redline) because the engine power and torque tapered off and wasnt accelerating as hard as it would by going up a gear instead of redlining it. I didnt actually measure terminal speed, but was passing ghosts on the straights.
  13. emmo46

PSN ID
    emmo46
    My Vt Calais is a V8 auto, I have an Alfa GTV6 which is manual and I have driven manual trucks and my early cars back in the middle of last century were all manual. Maybe I should start sedately by taking a manual Monaro around Bathurst.
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  14. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    To recap whats been said, it's definitely the corner exit and to position your car to get the best possible exit every time. When I drive in the race I always try to use as little brake and steering angle to get the best possible lap time (that might not make sense), but that how I would explain my driving.

Because your driving from a screen, your steering throttle and brake input only translate to very very subtle differences on screen, and part of the skill is to understand what your car is doing at all times and where the limit of the car is at all times.

What I could do is upload my ghost replay from arcade mode for the remaining tracks (trial mountain, motegi, silverstone and bathurst). Even though the lap times won't be representative since you can't turn tyre wear off, the driving line would be the same.
    KoAStR, smokinscotty, Molch and 4 others like this.
  15. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

One thing I notice from early on in GT6 depending on your braking even with ABS, if I didn't brake fully on the pedal say around the 3/4 to 90% mark, the car pulled up quicker then if I just planted it to the floor that might save you a second or 2 depending on the track, but definettly exit speed is key.
    Go in slow, car is more balanced through the turn, which means you can get on the power early, which means higher speed where it counts
    stucar17 and leeboy910 like this.
  16. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    If no one is opposed to it, I could grab some replays from div races and use capture card to make some vids for people?
    Can even do a split screen with a quick guy one side, slower guy on the other? With permissions of course :)
    Will need to wrap my little noggin around the editing suite, but should be able to come up with something!
    t_b_williams and stucar17 like this.
  17. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    I think me and emmo are the only ones running a controller and on auto in this whole comp :p
  18. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    you guys are special !! lol
  19. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

Can you do it between me and Warrior I want to find out where I'm falling behind lol
  20. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    You live on planet earth. Thats the difference lol.
    StigsOzCousin likes this.