Tips for slower drivers

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Molch, Feb 19, 2014.

1. warrior2167

warrior2167 Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    warrior2167
    thanks fellas and always glad to help.
    That's definitely the point to keep the momentum going. If your braking too hard you going to transfer too much weight to the front of the car. Braking more gently will keep the car more balanced and you will be able to use the grip from all 4 tyres instead of 2.
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  2. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    I set up my wheel last night.
    I'm no longer that special person lol
  3. zampli

zampli Team Driver

Thanks a lot warrior, without a doubt one of the most humble racers which is saying a lot given your skill and proficiency with the game
    stucar17 and warrior2167 like this.
  4. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    What did you get?
  5. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    You mean what did I always have? Lol
    G27 that was collecting dust coz it was a monumental effort to try and shuffle the lounge room about to fit it in somehow.
    Me and the missus did a house clean up to prep for the little one that's on the way and I decided to move some of the furniture around while we were at it.
    Now I have a little spot where I can slide the coffee table in and out of.. It's a solid piece of work and needs 2 people to carry!
    I guess that was the main reason for not bringing the wheel out earlier lol

Also purchased a 2nd hand wheel stand pro early last year to replace the home made dodgy one I used to use.
    And now I can use both on the comfort of my awesome couch xD
    stucar17, Anon666 and Clevohead like this.
  6. Molch

Molch Rookie

PSN ID
    Molch_82
    Also posted it in the shoutbox but for those of you that aren't here right not I wanted to find out who runs ABS??
  7. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    ABS on 1 here.
  8. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    All this discussion on braking light prompted me to do a DIY mod on my G25 brake pedal last night.
    I just jammed a piece of rubber up the centre of the spring. It's quite stiff rubber but I cut it alot narrower than the spring diameter so it can flex and buckle outwards. I also cut it a bit shorter so the initial stroke of the pedal has some 'free play'.

It's nice and progressive. I think especially because there's two modes of compression now, one where the rubber flexes and buckles and then another where it actually compresses. I have to really stand on it to get full travel. Definitely helps one from being overzealous on the brake pedal!
    Cyber_STIG_77 likes this.
  9. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Pretty sure everyone runs ABS 1 here from what I know.
    Blindman likes this.
  10. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I used to run ABS = 0 :p
  11. fRZn

fRZn Team Driver

PSN ID
    fRZnAU
    In GT5 I ran with ABS on 1, but with GT6 feel I can brake smoother, better and keep the car stable with ABS off. Though when I get it wrong (which is often) I destroy my tyres trying to get it back on the racing line or bail out of the corner entirely. I have tried with it off but it feels awkward. Thats not to say I can out-brake anyone, on the contrary, I feel I brake a lot earlier than anyone else does.
  12. Neishy

Neishy Rookie

PSN ID
    NOS_neishy4a-gte

Me too, def slower especially when tyres start to wear uneven.

On the DS3 the right stick makes a good sequential shifter, the best way I found to run manual on controller.
  13. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    When I did an abs off league in GT5 I found having the bias all at the front and none at the back and using the handbrake as a manual rear brake really made me have epic braking and the front brakes don't lock up as easy as the rear. Takes a bit of time to get used to it though.
  14. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Yeah I run ABS 1, but haven't thought to try it on 0 yet. I eat tyres at the best of times, so I wouldn't use it if tyre wear is accelerated.
  15. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Yea definitely you need to adjust the brake bias forward and turn the overall strength down when ABS is off. The default 5 / 5 was almost undrivable in GT5.

But when set right I did find ABS off encouraged me to adopt a more realistic, more cautious approach to how much brake pedal I applied. That's not to say it was faster, in fact for the most part it was probably wasn't, possibly to the detriment of my results that I stuck with it, but at the time that's what I enjoyed most, regardless of the prospect of any better times/placing. Particularly as it also helped alleviate some understeer when trail braking...

Actually I think I did a write up about it in the very early days of GT5. Yep.
    Here it is - http://raceonoz.com/threads/always-set-your-brake-bias-ra-menu.17/
    Don't know how relevant it is for GT6 now... :confused: might still be some useful tips in there. :)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  16. zampli

zampli Team Driver

I find ABS off faster in gt5, but that was only a few laps on both and off comparison, I wouldnt manage in a race but for a hot lap I could be faster but no way I could rely on it, even in a qually.
  17. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    GT6 is definitely an improvement abs off wise, it's now possible to drive with the bias at 5/5 and be consistent.
  18. ToranaSS

ToranaSS New Recruit

I will see how i go in my first race. im only in Divi 6 but glad to be aboard
    stucar17 and JonoStan96 like this.
  19. Kart-No-1

Kart-No-1 Professional

PSN ID
    Kart-No-1
    One of the things I am having trouble coming to terms with is the very noticable difference between the online lobby and offline timetrial, in terms of lap times but more importantly available grip. While talking to a few of the guys in my division they suggested dropping the power back to 90% offline so that lap times on and off line are comparable. Doing this however makes the braking points offline very different to online. This then takes me some time to acclimatise to the track when moving from one to the other. I have decided the only way around this is to do all of my practice online in future. This has got to help as I will not have to learn the "character" of 2 versions of the 1 track.
  20. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Hey Kart,
    I do ALL my practice online (because of the reasons you mentioned above).
    The only time I will drive offline is if I am completely unfamiliar with a track and just want to get my head around the layout - but once I do then I jump straight to online (I don't do this very often).

Another important factor to consider is that it is great to learn the lines/brake markers etc running lap after lap in a practice session but it is equally as important to try and run on track with other cars.
    Drafting a car coming up to a turn will mean you have to adjust your braking point or you will either hit the car in front of you and/or overshoot the turn because your speed is higher than when you're running alone.
    Also, taking turns under draft can invoke draft understeer where the car feels/becomes less stable so again you need to adapt to this in the moment. There are also times when the car in front may be slightly slower than you or have different braking points and slows you down going around the track, so this is where you need to work on alternate lines to be able to pass.
    If you watch the Div 1 guys race (particularly in the other series on ROOZ where they are racing against lowe Div drivers they really show how an adjusted line into a corner can mean a VERY easy passing manouvre - if done correctly.

The more you practice (and race) the better you become. I feel like my practice is starting to pay some dividends now (even though I am still in the same division), I "feel" more confident now and hope this continues on my journey to become an "alien" LOL.

Just remember, practice doesn't just mean running 100 laps of a circuit on your own - this may help for qualifying, but won't necessarily win you a race (if you have to battle to hold position).