Sim Controls To Handbrake or not?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by AJ.Scott, Jun 25, 2014.

1. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Hey guys n gals, Ive been tossing the idea of a Sim handbrake setup for the rig, but after some searching of the net I only found one available.

Check it out :)

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/handbrake.html
    Here's some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I gotta admit this thing looks good enough for a real car TBH, but the price tends to put me off big time, based on the current exchange rate we're talking $422 to my door. o_O :eek: :rolleyes:

So, the big question Ive got is, can anyone point me in the direction of other plug n play handbrakes at respectable pricing, or maybe DIY ones that don't need a master degree in technobabble to put together or, should I just blast it onto the plastic and damn the expense, the Finance Manager has approved ;) :D but as I said, I'm baulking at the price.

What do we all think?
  2. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Bloody hell. That looks the business but seriously that much!?! I'm guessing it's pressure sensitive, but seriously does it need to be? If you want a little, tap it. If you want a lot, hold it on. Someone on here in the rig set ups has set something up just like that, a lever that works the button. I'll see if I can find it.

$422??? My GOD!! :eek:
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  3. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  4. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  5. smokinscotty

smokinscotty Rookie

PSN ID
    smokinscotty
    I think the hydraulic side is over engineered for sim use. A hydro handbrake works like a switch when used IRL, a simpler solution with a lever, spring and switch would be just as real.
    Everyone loves some bling though!!!!
  6. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    I hear ya mate! it's definitely overkill but it's a nice looking piece of kit, I to used the "short for a little, long for a lot" button ebrake with my G25, in fact I had the shifter set for hand brake duties when playing Dirt2, run the gears via paddles, Dirt2 was awesome fun, still enjoy a blat in the Dirt :). I'll PM Molch thanks for the link :D

Thanks for the links Clevo, I checked out the fanatec vid as I have a Fanatec CSW setup, it's interesting as Ive seen this Fanatec handbrake elsewhere, but there's no info or discussion over at Fanatec in regards a Handbrake, so maybe they shelved the project.
    The Simworx Handbrake looks cool, and also has a kinda V8SC appeal to it, but sadly, it's also rather pricey at $425 for the stand alone USB version. I'd be interested to know whether it's potentiometer or button active, if price is any indicator it would need to be 8 or 12 bit potentiometer based, bloody expensive if it's not :eek:.

it is a bit "Over the Top" I'll admit, but the way these hydro setups work is cool, especially if you run them in a foot brake, their actually comparable with load cell brakes if not better, and they would feel more like a real cars brake due to them both being fluid based.
    I think the level of control you would get from this kind of setup through being able to use a little bit of pressure to help slow the car on entry, then lots of pressure to lock the rear and flick the arse out, kinda excites me ;) , Im talking drift or rally applications BTW, Lol. Plus Ive always thought hydro brakes in Sims was a no brainer for realism and refined control, "says the guy with a load cell brake" :confused: Haha.

Thanks for the links and input fella's, it's hard to know what path to go down with the cost's of the plug n play products, even harder with the misses saying "for feck sake, just buy the one you want" :rolleyes::D she's a gem, and just as much a rev head as I' am, loves the drags, get's on the sim on the odd occasion too for a bit of fun, although she'd rather go for a squirt in her car.
    So at this point I think I might be swaying towards the DSD unit, I looked at a few DIY options, but ATM I really cant get motivated to project something, just wanna plug it in, "no fussin, no cussin" Lol.
    smokinscotty and Ad2mny like this.
  7. motho

motho Team Driver

PSN ID
    motho
    IMO looking at that, $422 delivered from the US is pretty good. Yes might be overkill for a sim, but if you can afford it, why not.

And consider this, when you look at the workmanship and quality (as good as you can tell from photo's), if you were buying that locally and locally made it would probably be well over $1k + postage.

That DSD stuff seems to be getting a really good rep, the pedals look awesome, and the butotn boxes designed to screw to the Fanatec Clubsport wheel are a thing of beauty
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  8. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Why not indeed, :D:) I like the way this man thinks, thanks for your input Motho. I actually have a DSD Black max2 Bttn box, its great Sim kit, never had a scareck of problem with it, touch wood. DSD released the Fanatec button panels after I got the Blk max2 otherwise I would of got a pair of them, they do look sweet must admit, DSD gear is all quality stuff. I was under the impression Derek Speare is a race driver or retired driver? did some iRacing and decided to make Sim Racing hardware.

At this point I'm seriously considering the DSD unit :cool: it just ooozes quality.
  9. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
  10. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    @Clevohead
    Thanks for the link mate, there's a big problem with these, it seems you have to plug em into a set of Fanatec pedals. But then again, going by the info below, it says you can run from USB adapter, but then says no Standalone operation..... somewhat confusing :confused::rolleyes:

Compatibility
    IMPORTANT: To operate the ClubSport Handbrake you must connect it with either one of the following products:

• ClubSprt Pedals V2
    • ClubSport USB adapter
    Special Notes
    IMPORTANT: This product cannot be operated as a stand alone product.

Shame really, would be a great addition to the rig, and affordable too.
  11. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    I know just seen it and thought I better show AJ ;) Fanatec announced it on their facebook page last night. Just keeping you in mind when I see these things :)
    AJ.Scott likes this.
  12. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    After much debating, net searching and tooing and froing over DIY applications I finally made a decision, and should be the proud owner of a DSD hydraulic handbrake in some 4 to 5wks.
    Will take some pics of the beast when it arrives, would do a review , if I knew how to go about putting one together, lol.

Cheers.
  13. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    Got an email from DSD this morning, my new handbrake was dispatched from the US overnight, should be here in a week :):D
    Ad2mny, Anon666, motho and 1 other person like this.
  14. AJ.Scott

AJ.Scott Team Driver

PSN ID
    infamous-ozzi
    My new handbrake arrived on Thursday but I was unable to get to mounting it till yesterday.
    Here's some pics, talk about well packaged.
    [​IMG]

Layer 3 of bubble wrap :)
    [​IMG]

Bingo :)
    [​IMG]

Assembled and ready for fluid and mounting, had some PBR Gold dot 4 fluid from the XR8 which just happens to be the recommended grade fluid. ;)
    [​IMG]

Here's the new upgrade to the rig, had to move the H/Brake lever down & forward as it was in the way of the shifter but it's spot on now.
    [​IMG]

Here we are all setup & ready to go, just need to buy a USB1 cable then we're in business
    [​IMG]

The Handbrake is well constructed, light and quite compact, DSD have spared nothing in manufacturing this hardware, hence the large price tag. The only thing I can say that's negative about it is that the actual handbrake lever is quite sloppy at it's fitting point, and could do with shimming or packing with nylon or similar washers. It's not a major flaw and would be easy to rectify as the lever pin is cir-clipped.

I'll post my thoughts on its performance once Ive had a chance to plug it in and give it a try in Dirt 2.

Cheers
    ADZA_85, stucar17, S_CLOSE and 4 others like this.