What is your favourite video game of all time?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by leeboy910, Mar 6, 2014.

1. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    As suggested, here's a thread to discuss all of those games you love and what makes them stand out for you.

I find it VERY hard to pin it down to one game, so I'll go with a franchise: Tomb Raider.
    I own a copy of every PS1/PS2/PS3 and now the PS4 version of the latest game.

Tomb Raider changed action/adventure gaming and took it to a whole new level. It was less about the running and gunning and more about the experience, the exploration and using a bit of brain power to solve some puzzles.
    The evolution of the franchise was good to go through as well, from the highs of TR1 and the new Tomb Raider reboot, to the lows of Angel of Darkness. It's been about 18 years of Lara Croft magic and I've loved every single episode of it.
    Really keen to see what Eidos and Square can do with the series and really harness the power of the PS4.

Honorable mentions: Gran Turismo (of course), Syphon Filter, Hitman, Grand Theft Auto
  2. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    Secret of Mana (SNES)
    Best RPG EVER! Even to this day I can't rate anything that comes close to it in terms of storyline (non-linear at that!), game play or battle system.
    I still jump on and play it whenever I go on holidays (emulated of course!).
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  3. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Sniper elite, Max Payne, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell, the list goes on...
  4. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    NES- shadowgate
    SNES - Zelda a link to the past
    PS1 - GT1
    PS2 - GTA san andreas
    PS3 - bad conpany 2
    Arcade- NBA Jam , streetfighter 2
  5. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny

The amount of time I spent playing this...
  6. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Gran turismo 2, a huge chunk of my childhood was playing that game.
  7. smokinscotty

smokinscotty Rookie

PSN ID
    smokinscotty
    Currently addicted to gt6, and loving it. I do like GTA5 but got tired of the constant grind for cash.
    Over the years pwning nubs in FPS on PC has been a favorite with my favorites being MW3, Black Ops 2 and Planetside 2.

I fought in a clan in MW3 called chow bang and Drunken Legion in PS2 and playing with a clan made each game a hell of alot better... I think I have found my home in the gaming community inROOZ.

I think Planetside 2 would be my favorite in theory... thousands of people inone server divided into 3 maps, multiple class loadouts, tanks, troop carriers and assault vehicles by air and by land... simply epic. As it turns out, at a price though, with such a sizablegame capable of unbelievable graphics, you really need a :):):):) hot pc to run it. Mine wasnt quite up to spec and gave me alot of greif withthe game freezing or booting me regularly. I couldnt justify buying a new monster pc for it though... Im happy to spend the odd hundred bucks on gaming... but thousands no thanks.
    Awesome for a free to play game though.
  8. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Ratchet and Clank. End.

I own all 12. And have accumulated 100+ playthroughs overall combined. Guaranteed over 2,500 hours of my life. Wasted.

EDIT: The compass on Road Rash 3D looks so pointless, LOL!!
  9. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I've got the N64 version, my goodness it's so fun!
  10. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    My favourite game of all time unsurprisingly is on the Nintendo 64, and my memories of the game hark all the way back to 1998. It was the first video game I had ever played, when my parents gave me the controller to play around with as a 2 year old.

Super Mario 64.

The game itself really needs no summary, but here's my own anyway.

It began my love for video games. It taught me to read. I was enthralled with the vibrant colours. Nintendo's N64 launch title was arguably the greatest Mario game of all time, and (perhaps aside from Super Mario Bros.) the most innovative. The control stick allowed gamers for the first time to have perfect 360 degree control in a seamless 3-D environment. While the camera sucks in comparison today, it was mind blowing back then. To this day I still haven't played a game that felt as complete as this. It's an absolute masterpiece and I will gladly spend a whole day trying to gather all 120 Power Stars, hell even go for a speed run. In my 15 years of playing it, I have discovered every secret and glitch possible in the game, yet I still go back and play it to relive my most beloved memories as a pre schooler growing up in Blacktown. As I've gotten older, my love for the game only grew and grew, as I learnt of how important it was to the industry. The music remains one of the most classic Koji Kondo art-forms.

Honourable mentions: GoldenEye 007 (N64): Still by far the most revolutionary console FPS ever. The 4 player local multiplayer remains unparalleled 16 years later.
    Gran Turismo 3: A-spec (PS2): My first foray into the series, and the game that got me into cars, despite already having a passion for F1.
    Grand Theft Auto III (PC) I was relatively sheltered, so to speak. This game was the first that I had played since SM64 that gave me such freedom, and was very, er, mature for a 9 year old!
    NFSU2: (PS2) Unquestionably, the best Need For Speed.
    Mario Golf: (N64) I love golf, and this game could have been utter crap, but it wasn't. Tremendous amounts of fun.
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004/5 (PS2) While I can't decide between the two, these were the most fun golf games since Mario Golf.

I could go on for ages reminiscing, but let's just say in my eyes, SM64 is perfection in video game form. I'll leave you with the credits music, definitely the best song in the game, and hit's me right in the "nostalgia feels."

Cheers, Jono
    Crunch and smokinscotty like this.
  11. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR

Haha yea I loved that, had some all nighters on the multiplayer. Actually I've also got the re-released version for PS3. It's good, nice graphics, same levels and missions as the original but some things are missing. Haven't found out how to engage big head mode either!

Battlefield 2142 would be my all time favourite I think. Loved the intensity of that game. Pods flying everywhere, battle walkers, huge maps. Awesome. Bad Company 2 and BF3 close runner-ups.
    I loved the very first Need For Speed and then moved on to spending a fair bit of time on Grand Prix Legends a few years later.

Some other favourites. The early Medal of Honour PC releases.
    Amiga 500: Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe (now I can relive this as a PS3mini!)
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  12. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Sonic the hedgehog. Mission impossible on the Amiga? Hard Driving both PC and arcade. F1 97 copped an absolute flogging. Colin McRae rally. Richard Burns rally. TOCA touring cars series. Sega Rally was great but not enough tracks. Need for Speed Carbon was my fav of that series. Loved putting sticker kits and whatnot on the cars. San Andreas. Wow. Destruction Derby was cool but Driven to Destruction was better loved custom painting (bit of a pattern forming) and racing to the events. GTA (first 1) but didn't get back into it till Vice City and thought "well that's better than looking down" lol. Doom. Wolfenstein. Choplifter!! Sooooo many can't even think...!!
  13. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Atari - Pitfall, Tomcat Flight Simulator, California Games.
    Arcade - Hard Drivin' ()
    PC - Death Rally (I think - really rubbish graphics, but good fun), Carmageddon - , Doom, GTA 3.
  14. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Ahh, carmageddon. I used to love playing that game back in the day :)
  15. fRZn

fRZn Team Driver

PSN ID
    fRZnAU
    Counter Strike 1.6. A bunch of teenagers hopped up on red cordial and lollies staying up all night killing each other. Now that I think about it, it's pretty sad, but oh well I had fun. If not CS then Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus.
  16. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Odd world was cool
  17. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Carmaggeddon 64 was horrible lol
  18. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Oh that reminds me of a couple of other favourite classics!

I've got an Amiga 500 emulator and occasionally crack these out for old times sake on my PC. They're still fun! :p
    Molch, Ad2mny and JonoStan96 like this.
  19. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    Super Off Road is on PSN from memory...
  20. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    o_O I can't find it :(