Fanatec What's the best Fanatec CSL Elite build for PC?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, Mar 3, 2019.

1. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    So am trying to educate myself for a Fanatec purchase as my G25 died today (ffb motor gears are worn out).

I thought it would be straight forward. CSL elite. Go. But turns out there's a few different CSL elite variants compatible with PC so would appreciate any tips from existing owners of any of these.. As I often drive manual H-pattern the elite 3-pedal variant is essential.

At this stage I would just be using it on PC but I am leaning towards the PS4 version as this would be my console of choice (for future proofing), and for much the same price (when bundled) the wheel base seems to be a bit better than the regular CSL Elite base. PS4 rim spec seems to be somewhere between the CSL and the CSL elite spec in terms of finish material. Want to be sure I am not stuck with PS4 icon buttons on the PC but both models seem to come with the same interchangeable racing style button caps. Are there any dis-advantages to going for the PS4 version for primary use on the PC?

@Spidey_11 ?
    @beakeroo
    Cheers... the rest is really just for my own future reference but read on if interested.

CSL Elite advanced for xbox-one and PC
    $999.
    https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/bundle/product/csl-elite-wheel-advanced-pack-for-xbox-one-and-pc.html
    Pros: seems to be the best value CSL elite package; comes with genuine automotive grade Alcantara on rim; comes with exchangeable button caps for the rim https://www.fanatec.com/image/cache/data/wheels/CSL-E-RP1X/CSL-Elite-RP1X-Big_13-1000x666.jpg.
    Cons: not up-gradable to PS4 compatibility.
    Wheel comparison: https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-steering-wheel-p1.html

CSL Elite PS4™ Starter Kit for PC and PS4 - add pedal LC kit
    $1,019.80.
    https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/module/configurator&bundle_id=165
    Pros: WB+ includes "new Brushless Servo Motor with improved electronics"; 1000 Hz USB update rate (vs 500 Hz); seems to also come with exchangeable button caps for the rim?; obviously PS4 compatible; "advanced" drift mode (whatever that means compared to regular drift mode).
    Cons: leather/suede finish on rim (instead of Alcantara).. any others?
    WheelBase comparison chart: https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/racing-wheels/csl-elite-racing-wheel-ps4.html

CSL Elite PS4 Wheel Base+, CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 for Xbox One, CSL Elite Pedals LC
    $1,189.70
    https://www.fanatec.com/au-en/module/configurator&mproduct_id=1046
    Pros: Perhaps the best of both
    Cons: but at step up in cost so not so great if there's no real reason not to go for the PS4 version as I don't expect I will need xbox compatibility.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Rolz and Spidey_11 like this.
  2. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    I'll give you my thoughts after Sunday night race :thumbsup:..... ps. I'm very happy you're going fanatec
    KoAStR likes this.
  3. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    As long as you don't need Xbox then go for #2. The CSL+ (PS4 version) is actually the better wheelbase, it has different motor driver electronics and a different driftmode (as well as the PS4 security chip)
    KoAStR likes this.
  4. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Pulled the trigger on the PS4 version ;)
    krunch, Rolz and Spidey_11 like this.
  5. Spidey_11

Spidey_11 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Spidey_11, Steam ID - spidey_11
    I couldn't write something in time but that's a good product you've got on the way.
    The ps4 version has three modes, blue is ps4 purple is compatibility mode, red is PC so you get the best of everything. The base works for ps4 obviously, also allows full use on the PC.
    You will change wheels over time so that isn't important. Plus the Xbox rims work with the ps4 version cuz the ps4 security chip is in the wheel base, not the rim.
    I have the McLaren GT3 rim and it's marketed as Xbox and PC but it works with my ps4.
    The loadcell kit works with ps4, you can then attach a separate cable from the pedal box direct to your PC for more frequency. But you can only have one connected at a time, otherwise it could cause damage. You'll read this on the booklet.
    KoAStR likes this.
  6. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Thanks guys for the insight. Sounds perfect.
    Will be great to finally match my favourite CSSQ V1.5 shifter with it's own product family!
    krunch, Rolz, Spidey_11 and 1 other person like this.
  7. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Classic! I only just saw this @KoAStR as I was considering the identical 3 options you listed. I came here to see what the experts thought but you've done my homework for me :). I had pretty much decided on the PS4 Elite wheelbase bundle mainly because the base looks better than that plasticy 'bathroom tile' look of the standard base. I was happy to pay $20 extra in the bundle considering it's $100 more standalone. But all you experts (thanks guys) have pointed out the improved electronics and in-base PS4 chip which sweetens the deal substantially. I'll be ordering once I actually have an address to send it to (couple of weeks hopefully).

BTW how's the new setup going? Happy with it?
    Spidey_11, KoAStR and beakeroo like this.
  8. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Glad it helped!. I am very happy with it :D
    Coming from the GTEye upgrade on the G25 pedals I find the clutch weight a little light, but am getting used to it, and might experiment with some foam behind the pedal. The feel of everything else is superb.

Added the handbrake to it as a birthday gift from the missus. Loving it. :inlove:
    Apparently the base electronics are the same as the last gen (v2?) clubsport wheelbase.

Pics here: http://raceonoz.com/forums/index.php?threads/show-us-your-simulator-cockpit-setup.13/
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    krunch likes this.
  9. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

@KoAStR Do you connect shifter through the wheel base? If so, do you get all 7 gears? I have been watching reviews on youtube and some guy said you only get 6 speeds with CSL Elite wheel base for some reason (?) - is he mistaken?

Anyone got any experience with the Clubsport pedals? They look beautiful.
  10. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Shifter (and handbrake) are connected to wheel base. All 7 gears work for me. CouldCbe the other guy is on old firmware?

I connected the pedals direct to PC for extra resolution on the LCK brake. Otherwise everything else to the base.
  11. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

That is good to hear - I think it was an old video so outdated firmware makes sense.

Think I'm going to join you Fanatec boys and get the CSL Elite PS4 as well. Not quite sure exactly what pedals/other bits yet but at least decided on the wheel!
    KoAStR likes this.