ACC RaceOnOz ACC [PC] Season 5 - Round 1 Sprint Silverstone!

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione PC Monday Night' started by krunch, Jan 19, 2021.

1. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

Had a good race after taking a break from ACC, qualified P22 and made up places from there (not from overtaking, more from other people going off ahead over the course of the race), got a slow puncture around 32 mins in and came in to change. Was catching Hayes slowly over the rest of the race until I got another slow puncture on the 2nd to last lap, I just hope it was due to Silverstone being tyre wear heavy and from abusing curbs to get the car turned in and it won't happen in the longer races. Very happy with 2nd in class since I loathe this track in GT cars
  2. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    That last 10-15 minutes was intense. I was definitely the cork in the bottle with Cesana, Mael, Steve & Medved in close pursuit so was stoked to keep it clean and tidy and stay up the front of that group. :)
  3. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Solid start to the season. Congrats to @Andy and the @Captain for being in an alternate universe as usual.

Wasn't a solid 1st lap though! Chasing @kcender through Abbey and Farm, I lost sight of the braking marker and ended up in Whittlebury. Losing a few spots from that to Blairy and @Jeremy Talbot, I recovered those over the next few laps. Hendo and Kcender were battling up ahead and at some point Hendo fluffed turn 1 which allowed me to sneak past. Hendo then was dropping back and I thought that was that.

However, as I was coming out the pits, I saw Kcender loop it at T1, with Hendo right behind. He almost had the strong undercut complete, but I just managed to keep him at bay for a few laps while my tyres came into range. From there it was non stop pressure until the last few laps when his tyres began to fade a little and I had some luck with passing under blue flags. Field is getting stronger around here!
  4. MatthewMarshHK

MatthewMarshHK Rookie

'... and ended-up in Whittlebury.' Excellent!
    tezpez85 likes this.
  5. CornfordCaster

CornfordCaster Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

I enjoy writing a debrief for these races and this time I'm extra chuffed after finishing top silver! (Even if this is a bit late to write it up)

Firstly, I didn't have the pace of Pilat who got very unlucky with a DT for speeding in the pits, if it wasn't for this then I'm sure he would have finished about 15 seconds ahead in class but he still did a solid job to finish in 3rd! A few of the people I was expecting to qualify a bit further forward didn't seem to get a clean lap in, this certainly helped a but I also drove a decent, consistent and safe race. I also managed to hold my own against some of the Pros when I was battling for most of the laps.

The initial battle when the race started to settle down was with Jacobs, who lost some positions and was recovering after going off at Abbey. I hope my defensive positioning wasn't too annoying for him but I think I managed to put my car in the right spot every time (Except for when I made a few mistakes every now and then). Jacobs got past on lap 12 at Stowe after I made a mess of Maggots/Becketts but it was really satisfying to pull off a switch back move in The Loop to regain my position, ultimately when my tires were starting to cry in pain when he got your nose in front down at Vale and hung me out dry (Sorry for turning a in bit on you but it was a good move, I could only keep you behind for so long!), Bueller also managed to slip through at the same time moving me from 11th to 13th.

This all happened just before the pit stops and by having a nice and tidy stop I managed to come out ahead of Bueller again, I'm not sure if he had a slow out-lap but this would be setup for the second half of the race which my battle with Bueller and Blyth. I was the cork in the bottle once again for these two and I did my best to keep them behind whilst making them battle each other, it seemed to work for the next 6 laps until but unfortunately my master plan backfired when Bueller had to get defensive from Blyth at The Loop. I could see it unfolding in my mirror and I think Bueller went a bit deep, I tried to allow for a bit of a safety buffer space on the inside of the right hander but it wasn't quite enough, a tap on the rear corner, a 180 turn, and few bangs from each party (but nothing malicious), just a racing incident. Blyth managed to jump the pair of us and runaway to freedom whilst Bueller kindly waited and redressed me. :thumbsup: I think we both came off worse after this because Bueller wasn't quite hounding me like before and Blyth was far far gone afterwards.

From here, just making sure I could get to the finish without making any big mistakes was the goal and it was a mission success. I always have more fun when I'm trying to defend people because I think I'm total rubbish at trying to pass though I do think it's the more stressful position to be in!

I really really had a lot of fun on Monday! Cheers all!
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    tezpez85, krunch, Bueller and 3 others like this.
  6. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Never too late mate, nice report and good job on the class win!
    Bueller and CornfordCaster like this.
  7. Bueller

Bueller Rookie

Awesome racing as usual. Giving the Lexus a run this season because....V8 sounds.... and I just can't get going in anything that has the engine in the wrong end. Pretty crap at set ups especially with these aero sensitive, backward damper, bump stopping F1 boats, so I just use default sets with minor tweaks if I find something that helps get 0.005 and not -0.5 on a lap.
    Crazy start being cautious myself but watching most others around me dive, go three wide and take two or more spots at each corner, I ended dropping a few places. Great battles trying to win some spots back but also seeing a few run a drift. Stuffed up my pit stop a bit or at least the lap heading in as I no longer had a track guide to follow. Came out behind Conford on his cold tyres, surprised to see so much defending but didn't want to push a risky move, in hindsight I think I should have made the move because as his tyres warmed it was an even harder battle coupled with Blyth almost nudging my bumper. Coming through the back fast chicane (i don't know names) with the big Bently grill :D filling my rear view I got a little off line, also braked a little too late on the marbles :poop: and drifted into the turning Honda. Silly mistake on my part, redressed, sorry mate. After that just cruised home... Great night, thanks guys. :thumbsup:
  8. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Great reports guys :).

For me the first bunch of laps were great fun. There was lots of 2 and 3 wide action in lap 1 (amazingly clean and respectful stuff by those around me) and as a few others got held up in the slow lane or fell off the road I found I'd somehow gained over 10 spots!

My luck didn't hold though as I began to see the telltale signs of ping spikes. With cars jumping all over the place a couple of times each lap I started to worry I was going to destroy people's races so I drove off the road and let the field by. I've had this issue before and it can settle down so I cruised around staying well out of everyone's way until it started to settle down.

I didn't want to bail as I love Silverstone and had really been looking forward to getting into the new season, so I used the rest of the race as a practice session. As the spikes faded I found a bit of a groove and had some fun trying to lap consistently.

Incidentally the next day my liquid CPU cooler's pump suddenly died which nearly melted my CPU. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the ping spikes as my wireless broadband is capable of doing that all on its own, but you never know. Fortunately my CPU is OK as I dug out an old stock cooler and installed that. A new AIO liquid cooler is on its way :).
  9. AeroDynamicMilk

AeroDynamicMilk Rookie

Time for my late race report!
    It's a short one just like my race...
    I had a poor qualifying and was struggling to get a lap in and when i managed to get one in it wasnt a very good lap so i qualified towards the back. But when the lights went out it seems most people in front fell asleep or something cause i breezed past like 3 cars before turn 1 and i was making good progress, avoiding everyone else spinning out and gaining from that.
    Until a few laps later where someone else and myself made contact on my rear, spinning me round, not sure if we were just converging into the same slightly to not notice or what but it happened.
    I had to end my race within like 10-15 minutes because my throttle pedal got stuck, forcing me wide in almost all the corners, losing like 5 seconds a lap. I was struggling with it in all the sessions but I could still be on my target pace, i wouldnt go wide, but of course Murphey's Law is a :):):):):) so I had to end my race before I ruined anyone else's race.

I've learned that I'm also not good at high speed corners.
  10. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Not sure if AIO orientation contributed, but I watched this recently and thought it may be applicable
    c4rLo5, krunch and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  11. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I’ve stopped using AIO coolers a while back, too much hassle, they are ok when new but really no better then the trusty Noctua D15 tower cooler and far less reliable.
  12. Bueller

Bueller Rookie

Same, I had an old corsair aio suffer from permeation causing pump noise and degraded cooling performance and I recently removed the whole custom water cooling from old pc since it developed a small leak from an o'ring in a 90 degree swivel fitting. Also damaged a motherboard after a small drop splashed while filling the custom loop. Plus the pain in the ass that is flushing and replacing coolant, I won't be going back water cooling any time soon, all air for me.
  13. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

Absolutely - I have giant case fans running at low RPM (I think something like 250-300mm diameter) for low noise and big volumes of air moving - originally because I was recording audio in the same room as the PC but it works great for gaming too. Not so much if you are into overclocking and such but fine for general pleb computing.
    tezpez85, Godzilla and Bueller like this.
  14. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Thanks mate great vid :thumbsup:. The interesting thing is mine was a Corsair AIO that had the pump built in to the side of the radiator NOT in the cooling block. I'd mounted mine with the radiator & pump in the top of the chassis then the hoses came down to the block. Who knows if that was right or wrong as like he said the manufactures don't give good guidance. Anyway I can't complain as it was the cheapest model and lasted about 5 years over 2 systems with excellent performance and I was expecting it to potentially have probs at any point now due to its age.

Yeah those Noctua's look awesome. I still like AIO's though and find them no hassle at all plus they leave more room in the case for air flow.

I'm no 'fan' of custom water cooling hehe. Becoming a micro plumber sure don't float my boat! :)

Yeah agree big low RPM case fans are great to keep the noise down.

Thanks for your feedback guys - much appreciated :thumbsup: