ACC RaceOnOz ACC [PC] Season 5 - Round 5 Paul Ricard Super Sprint

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione PC Monday Night' started by SteveDrivingSlowly, Feb 19, 2021.

1. SteveDrivingSlowly

SteveDrivingSlowly ACC Results Ste(ve)ward

[​IMG]
    RaceOnOz Monday Night ACC League Season 5 - GT Challenge
    Admin team: @Flamebadger, @krunch, @SteveDrivingSlowly, @nanlatt

Round 5 - SUPER SPRINT - Paul Ricard 2020
    [​IMG]
    22nd February 2021 at 8:15pm
    (AEDT - click for time zone info)

REMINDER: NO CUSTOM PAINTED SKINS ALLOWED DUE TO JOIN LAG! PENALTIES MAY APPLY
    We recommend completely uninstalling custom painted skins from your ACC folders to avoid the excessive join lag issue.

DRIVER BRIEFING NOTES
    • Avoiding Lap 0 and Lap 1 Carnage! - Take extra care as the lights go green as all cars will be in a tight, accelerating pack:
      • Expect cars to be much closer to you and varying in speed due to all the others around so try to leave a tad more space.
      • Assume there are cars in your blind spots and and on the other side of visible cars until the pack spreads out more.
      • In braking zones you must brake SIGNIFICANTLY earlier than you would in general racing.
      • Avoid sudden direction changes unless you are sure you are well clear.
      • If on a straight section don't drift - stay straight.
      • Approach each situation with caution but execute your driving with intelligence.
      • If you need to redress in this tight pack situation keep going until you can move out of the traffic safely before slowing down

• Start Formation - The admin team will be taking a close look at driver's positions at race starts as we have noticed that some cars are getting away with being out of position. Driver's need to be side by side with their row partner and must maintain a reasonable gap to the cars ahead prior to the lights going green. The Kunos start system isn't perfect and still allows cars to be a fair way out of place by the time the lights go green so we will be reviewing starts as a matter of procedure from now on. We will issue warnings or penalties to drivers that we believe are gaining an unfair advantage or disadvantaging other drivers by being out of position. We'd also like drivers to stop all weaving and brake warming as soon as the double file segment begins. These sorts of sloppy grid formations can lead to major crashes in the first few corners so we'd like to clean that up

• Discord voice chat rules and etiquette:
      • if you intend to chat you MUST use push-to-talk. No-none wants to hear your gear clicks, heavy breathing or barking dog in the background.
      • non-excessive chat and banter is OK in Practice sessions.
      • There should be minimal chat in Qualifying sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
      • There should be minimal chat in Race sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
      • If you become frustrated or angry at yourself or another driver DO NOT PUSH YOUR TALK BUTTON. Keep it private!
      • DO NOT CONDUCT ARGUMENTS OVER VOICE CHAT. Sort it out later!
      • ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. There's no place for that stuff at Rooz!
      • Please wait until ALL drivers have completed the final lap of a race before discussing your race.
      • Admins may speak at any time in any session for obvious reasons.

• Optional use of indicators - Should drivers wish to use indicators to assist with managing lapped traffic, they are to be used as they are used on the road - i.e. you should indicate which way you are going - if you indicate left, you go left. REMEMBER TO TURN THEM OFF AGAIN.

• All drivers should read the "Rooz Etiquette guide' and "Rules & Regs" linked below before the start of Round 1.

• Enjoy the battles with others and yourself :)
    SERVER INFO
    Race Server Name:
    "RaceOnOz.com 01 ROOZ [AUS:AEDT] RACE SERVER S5 Rnd5 2x30min of Paul Ricard"
    • The race server will be available to join from approximately 7:45pm AEDT and will kick over to official practice at 8:15pm
    • The server has a locked entry list and will only allow those who have signed up for the season to join it.
    • Qualifying and Practice sessions are open for joining but race sessions are locked.
    • The server won't show in the multiplayer lobby so you will need to search for "raceonoz" or "rooz"
    • PASSWORD: season5
    Practice Server Name:
    "RaceOnOz.com 01 ROOZ [AUS:AEDT] PRAC SERVER S5 Rnd5 2x30min of Paul Ricard"
    • The practice server should be available now.
    • The server has a locked entry list and will only allow those who have signed up for the season to join it.
    • All sessions are open for joining.
    • The server won't show in the multiplayer lobby so you will need to search for "raceonoz" or "rooz".
    • All conditions are set to match those that will be used for the race server.
    • PASSWORD: season5
    NOTE: Wacky Wednesday League Practice - Every Wednesday night we host a semi-closed race practice evening ahead of the upcoming Season 5 championship round. These are very informal and chilled out practice sessions where you can come in and try out set-ups, chat and have some fun racing without worrying about your championship points (this is separate to the 24/7 practice server which is always available). Importantly you can practice close racing moves with far less pressure and less consequence than Monday nights and we particularly encourage those newer to sim racing to join in. There are often excellent tips from some of our top pro drivers too. More info in the Wacky Wednesday League Practice thread.

RACE & SESSION INFO
    This round is a SUPER SPRINT:
    • 2 x 30 min races.
    • 2 x 15 min qualifying sessions - 1 for each race.
    • No mandatory pitstops or pit restrictions.
    • Full formation lap with UI gizmo and car ghosting on. Getting too far out of position can result in being auto-sent to the pits for the start. Speeding as the lights go green will result in a stop/go penalty.
    • Server time scale multiplier set at 2x for this round.
    • SESSIONS:
      • Official Practice, 45 mins (in game Friday 9am) - OPEN for joining
      • Qualifying 1, 15 mins (in game Saturday 9am) - OPEN for joining
      • Race 1, 30 mins (in game Saturday 11am) - LOCKED no joining
      • Qualifying 1, 15 mins (in game Sunday 9am) - OPEN for joining
      • Race 1, 30 mins (in game Sunday 11am) - LOCKED no joining
    • Weather is set to an average of 20 degrees and conditions look damp and likely to change weather across all sessions.

CAR CHOICE
    Season 5 is a fixed car per driver championship. Whichever car you start your first official round in will be the car you use for the rest of the season.

MORE INFO

DISCORD & VOICE
    All important information for racing is available on our forums, however we strongly advise drivers to join our Discord server for for voice and text chat. Sometimes critical information such as server issues, race delays, last minute race format changes, instructions to a specific driver, etc. will be relayed only through the Discord voice channel and text chat. There is also a healthy dose of banter that just makes the round more fun :). Once you sign up for any Season at Rooz you'll be given extra Discord permissions for text chat.

Discord voice chat rules and etiquette:
    • if you intend to chat you MUST use push-to-talk. No-none wants to hear your gear clicks, heavy breathing or barking dog in the background.
    • non-excessive chat and banter is OK in Practice sessions.
    • There should be minimal chat in Qualifying sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
    • There should be minimal chat in Race sessions - essential questions, statements, apologies etc. only.
    • If you become frustrated or angry at yourself or another driver DO NOT PUSH YOUR TALK BUTTON. Keep it private!
    • DO NOT CONDUCT ARGUMENTS OVER VOICE CHAT. Sort it out later!
    • ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. There's no place for that stuff at Rooz!
    • Please wait until ALL drivers have completed the final lap of a race before discussing your race.
    • Admins may speak at any time in any session for obvious reasons.
    • Feel free to hang around in chat after the race. Many of us like to have a laugh about things that may have happened in the race and it can be a nice wind-down :)

CUSTOM PAINTED SKINS
    Unfortunately due to the serious "join freeze" or "join lag" issue we are currently not allowing the use of custom painted skins for Season 5. Specifically we are talking about skins painted externally and saved as PNG files that are added to ACC.

We love the idea of custom painted skins and would dearly love to add this rich feature to our league but ultimately the quality of the racing must come first. We have discussed at length a number of ideas and methodologies to try to overcome the problem but these involve arrangements which add complexity for the admin team as well as all drivers involved in the season and still may not result in overcoming the problem. If the situation improves significantly either through better support within ACC or through the community arriving at workable solutions then we will certainly look at allowing custom painted skins into our Monday night league racing.

If you also love custom painted skins then please help us out by searching high and low for real solutions, and by all means feel free to do some testing on our servers including during our Wednesday fun practice nights.

At this stage we are not restricting the use of the in-game editor for creating custom colour schemes. This may change if we find that even that system causes serious join lag issues.

NOTE: As we cannot block the use of skins at the server level we strongly suggest all drivers who sign up to Season 5 remove all custom painted skins from their game installation folders as a precaution. If a custom painted skin has been accidently left selected on a driver's car when they enter the server during a qualifying session causing join lag they will be immediately disqualified from the round. Any driver that has a copy of that joining driver's selected skin will experience a large join lag as that image is loaded into memory. Every other driver on the server may experience some level of 'join lag' even if they have zero customs skins in their game.

Thanks for racing at RaceOnOz

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  2. staffy0707

staffy0707 Rookie

Qual 9pm?
    SteveDrivingSlowly likes this.
  3. SteveDrivingSlowly

fixed!
  4. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

game decided to update at the perfect time
  5. Frostwa

Frostwa Rookie

Well i got caught up in the T2 incident, big damage straight up
    Checked mirrors and all clear so re-entered track and @jlynn777 and i sideswiped each other, sorry Jamie, my game is setup to only show 10 cars at once to help with frame rate and I honestly could not see your car coming and I thought i was well out on the right.
    Then came into T3 fast only to meet a fast slowing pack from another incident with a damaged car that didn't want to stop and I think i spun @TomHanks ,very sorry Tom!

@SteveDrivingSlowly - Someone can have my spot if you have anybody waiting
  6. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

Oualy went ok, but got nudges from behind sending me off track two times and thought, let's give it another go next week. Tyres were cooked so I lost additional positions after getting back on track. It does happen frequently, but I try to take it easy. Ignoring the standings in the championship...happy if I cross the finish line without too much drama and get out if it doesn't work.
  7. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

Can we turn the weather variability down to what it was before? I noticed entering the server it was much higher, i'm really not a fan of having my tyres destroyed after 1 lap because the game can't decide if it's wet or dry. Since it was marked as wet tyres I went for those, only to have them torn apart and was worried about having to go to dry tyres since it might do the whole tyres don't work since the weather is marked as wet thing. The second race was miserable, since tyre pressures are so important in this game it really just feels like you lost instantly because your tyres were cooked despite being 7 degrees below the optimal temp.
    CornfordCaster likes this.
  8. CornfordCaster

CornfordCaster Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

That was specific to this round as far as I know, the rest should be back to the standard.

Also was a pleasure racing with you!
    krunch and SteveDrivingSlowly like this.
  9. SteveDrivingSlowly

That is intentional mate and we will run different weather settings each round to keep things interesting, and add an extra element of strategy and chance to the racing. Sometimes it will be stable and dry, sometimes it will be changeable, sometimes the rain will set in and stay.

i took wets in race 2 and although the car was horrible, I really enjoyed it! I was throwing everything I had at surviving the race and trying to get the best position I could - which ended up being 17th or 18th. Tez also took wets and came in third! Now that man can drive!

pit strategies, tyre choices, pressures and setups are all interesting, fun and challenging parts of racing - this is not a hotlap competition! Athough tbh the same people that do well in this would also do well in a hot lap competition!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    staffy0707, krunch, nanlatt and 2 others like this.
  10. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Race 1 - pitstop practice. Had a good start, but realised 18L of fuel wasn't going to cut it. Then doing the mental maths on the fly while trying to drive only put in 22L instead of 32L so had to stop a second time with 5 minutes to go...

Race 2 - much more fun, and on the slidy boi wets as well. I did get turned around at the start, don't know what happened there, but recovered relatively quickly and there was plenty of fun racing to be had though the mid-field.

Anyway, this week more the engineering simulator than a driving simulator. I wish this game had a race engineer that actually told you useful stuff - like "hey, you might want to put more fuel in before you start the race..."
  11. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

I overall do not like Paul Ricard, combined with never seeing it anywhere I have basically no experience here, which turns out is a bad thing... couldn’t qualify either race to save myself.

Race 1, 22nd in quali, was making it up the field but gave someone a small push in to the fast right hander, sorry about that, not sure who that was, whoever it was held the slide like a champ though. Managed to run out of fuel with 3 laps to go, no fun there.

Race 2 quali was even worse, 28th on the grid, so figured I’ll take a chance on dry’s. They felt decent right from the start and made for great fun racing up the grid. 28th to 4th, can’t complain at all, no contact with anyone along the way.

Well done to all who survived that round
  12. WALLZY

WALLZY Rookie Gold Member

Well i am happy I managed to not be disconnected tonight after the last two races. A ok night for me tonight didn't really have the pace especially in quali but good fun otherwise.

Race one started 28th. i some how missed the 2nd corner incident

had a great battle with @Wally on lap 1 through the last sector, I then gave Robertshaw a slight tap in the last corner after i misjudged how much the pack checked everyone up, once i redressed i had and enjoyable race fighting back with a pretty good straight line advantage of most people in the Lexus. finished P16 in the end

Race 2 quali was even worse and started 29th. i had a pretty good race and some fun battles throughout the race to come home P12
  13. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

I'm so annoyed that dry tyres worked since the game even told me that wet tyres were optimal, this is kinda that problem I was getting at since the crossover point in a game is wet or dry, IRL it can be a gamble but the game telling you to set wets and with the track not being a good indicator visually (in practice the track was bone dry visually but slicks didn't work at all, then in race 2 it's the same situation but they work for some reason?)
  14. staffy0707

staffy0707 Rookie

Personally I enjoyed the weather variables although I made the same mistake in race two and took wets as well. But I certainly wouldn't complain if we got rid of the half hour sprints, they seem to be alot more pushy.

Race one I again had an incident happen in front of me at the end of the straight, I went out super wide to avoid it but still got tagged which then just made me a sitting duck on the straight. 266 top speed.

Race 2 apology to @krunch for the tap. I was trying to watch someone coming up my inside and leave the space and missed the normal early brake points on the first lap. Totally my fault. Then I managed to settle inside the top 20 and looked to be on track for a pb finish but I guess it was just karma and got tagged and spun in the last corner halfway through the race and lost 10 spots from it. Anyway onto next week
  15. CornfordCaster

CornfordCaster Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Well despite a bad and average result, this Paul Ricard was a lot of fun!

Q1 was fairly okay, I had a decent enough lap but because of my minimum experience invalidated a few more decent laps.

Race 1 was shaping up to be pretty good! I was running at a reasonable pace and was on for top 10, I had a few near misses with @Godzilla and @cerp in the fast and loose bits but all good racing. The only problem with Race 1 was forgetting to put all of the fuel in! I put some in but it there must of been a high price at the French bowsers that I wanted to try and save a Franc or two. So a good finish went out the window and then I got myself a DT for track limits after just to really make sure the result was bad. Other than the fuel and DT, pretty happy with the driving!

Q2, not so good. plenty left on the delta, just kept extending track limits.

Race 2 was A LOT of fun! Unfortunately I got hit in the rear twice, one of them turning me around in the final corner and the second time I saw it happening in my mirrors and had to release the brake and go off of track to avoid it. A lot of close racing and panel rubbing that was all above board, and honestly it was so fun. It was a little gutting to see the where some of the people finished and where they were relative to me a some points but hey, that the way it goes right?

So, how good was Round 1 at Silverstone? Good thing I didn't get my hopes up too high after that one!
  16. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

R1: Managed to keep up with the Macca train and take advantage of some squabbling between fellow members of that elite squad. Something happened at some point and there were only two Maccas left, but they were way off in the distance. Chasing maccas - story of my life. Hungry.

R2: Rolling around before the start watching my tyres melt into gelatine I thought I was done for, but I guess my saving grace was that they were all somehow as bad as each other? Apart from the front right which was inexplicably a few psi lower. Anyways, as gelatine turned to custard, I thanked the Germans for their uber traction control. If I tried that in the Lambo from last season I would have been dead by turn 7. Managed 3rd again, but only just, as @Godzilla was less than half a lap away from mugging me.

Congrats to @Andy, @mia, Ash Reynolds for the podiums in both races
  17. Wally

Wally Team Driver

Race 1, got a bit of damage on lap 1 by being unable to miss someone's incident in front of me, which shaved about 7 kmh off my top speed and meant I got picked off one by one along the straight.

Race 2, I started on underinflated wets, opened the brake ducts a bit. I got up to about 12th, thinking "this is alright". But slowly the wets melted and became very, very slippery by the end, where again I got picked off one by one and ended up 23 or thereabouts.

The weather made the tyre choices interesting. I like the mix of enduros and short sprints. They lead to different amounts of risk and aggression, which is good to get used to. That's racing.
  18. Bueller

Bueller Rookie

What a disappointment round, first, very sorry for bumping into Matt Frost R1 I think I spent a micro second too long looking at Henderson moving and shaking in my rear view, I didn't look at the replay but from driving view it was tiny bump yet it turned you, sorry. I slowed to redress, I moved out of the way off track and spun, couldn't find you and then heard someone say "I'm out" so I teleported to pit and sat R1 out.
    R2 was :):):):)e, chose wet because as others have mentioned there is no real indication of what to do other than RAIN FALLING FROM THE SKY. Tyres were 33psi and red, it made the battles fun but I ran out of fuel on the last lap.
    Both Q's were ok but I think I was just lucky with set choices as opposed to others who were probably not as lucky. This is the issue with this kind of variation, it's mostly luck, unless you know the game inside out, think Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix, for the rest of us it's jumbled green symbols rolling down the screen. I do think a bit more engineer help would be useful in this game, much of the dissapointment is when you put a bit extra practice in only for it to be a waste of time.
  19. TomHanks

TomHanks Rookie

Loved race 2. But I did have slicks on. For me the weather just added an extra element, luckily I had practiced in similar conditions a few days ago which definitely paid off coming up through the wet tyre cars, passed a few drivers that I doubt I will again. Found myself in the top 10 trying to stay away from a fast charging mael who had to face some desperate defending. A lap longer he probably would've had me.

Was on the receiving end and giving end of a few bad moves but luckily nothing catastrophic. Sorries and forgives going out for those.
    :thumbsup:
  20. Wally

Wally Team Driver

From experience, when you have that rain icon with only just the lightest rain, slicks are still the go, despite wets being allegedly optimal. The weather forecast should tell you all you need to know to make an informed tyre choice. I don't think it's that much of a lottery as some are suggesting.