VR VR in ACC

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by WALLZY, Mar 10, 2021.

1. WALLZY

WALLZY Rookie Gold Member

Hi Brains trust.

I am looking at buying a VR headset and I am after some feedback from those of you already use VR.

A couple of questions.
    What headset are you using?
    any issues you come across?
    any recommendations on what headset to go with?

Thanks for any feedback you send through.
    c4rLo5 likes this.
  2. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Well mate I bought my Oculus Rift CV1 back in the 2nd half of 2016 so I've had a few years experience with that - but nothing else.

The CV1 is a really good design ergonomically and even wearing glasses in it is no problem for me. I know you can't get the CV1 new anymore but the Rift S would certainly be worth looking at and there's a few guys here who use that headset.

The CV1 had a few design flaws that could cause the audio to fail after a few years and that happened to me in late 2019. It was out of warranty so I tried using just a normal headset (as many people did) but I wasn't as comfortable with that. I contacted Oculus asking if there were any authorised repairers in Australia but there weren't any. Amazingly they offered to replace my headset with an 'as-new' refurbished one at no cost if I could provide a US shipping address! I hadn't even asked for that :). I took advantage of that offer so my current headset is my second CV1 and it's perfect :). Very good customer service from Oculus at that time but...

As I'm sure know they are owned by Facebook and Facebook suck! They are soon going to force Oculus owners to use their Facebook accounts with their device and will phase out our actual Oculus accounts. We'll have no choice in the matter and if we don't do it our Oculus device will basically stop working. So beware the FB behemoth that has devoured Oculus!

Another consideration is VR sickness. I have always tended to get car sick so I was a bit worried when I took the plunge that I might not be able to use VR. However I only has some mild nausea in the first week or so as my brain had to adjust to the lack of external forces while moving in VR. I used ginger tablets for a few weeks and kept sessions short initially and that worked. Sim racing is one of the more forgiving VR environments due to the cockpit around you so you might be fine.

There's plenty of new VR options out there now so it'll be interesting to see what you decide on. Just make sure you pick one that is reported to be good with ACC.
    WALLZY, c4rLo5 and Rolz like this.
  3. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Hey mate, I have the Rift S... works really well... been using it for quite a few years now... as @krunch said, biggest issue is VR Nausea... if you're sweet with that I totally recommend VR...
    You can see the PC spec's I have (in signature), I only recently upgraded my CPU/Mobo/RAM in anticipation of getting a new gfx card, but since they are as rare as hens teeth I'm stuck with my old faithful...
    Prior to my upgrade I had a i7 7700k CPU and 3200Mhz RAM, so really not too much difference core speed wise there... the couple extra cores have helped with more cars visibility, but I do use Oculus AWS tech to lock 40fps (yes u read right, recommend u read about it before going wtf ;))
    With my setup I've raced quite a few times with over 40cars (in MP) and sunrise/sunset (this really maxed the hardware) and had no issues...
    yes I 100% will say it's not as clear/sharp/details as pancake (screens), but I'm in the actual car... so that slight drop in quality has been no issues for me... I have over 900hrs in ACC with VR...

yes you can spend the big bucks and go the Steam Index or Hp G2... as much as I'm annoyed with FB(Oculus) for going down the mobile VR side, I've also tested the Quest2 on my system (my bro bought one and we did a like for like test) and FB(Oculus) really have got the plug and play down pat... the Quest2 is surprisingly good just using the USB3 cable (didn't have a USB C cable at the time), but for me the mobility of the Q2 vs the attached RiftS wasn't enough for me to upgrade... but I will keep an eye out on the Q3...

My Bro runs the wifi6 system at his place so no need for cables and enough data bandwidth to run PC steam games to his Q2... Half Life Alexa looks amazing compared to my RiftS

hit me up on Discord if u want any more info... VR and ACC is so cool... and again if ur able to handle it (no need for glasses or VR Nausea) it's the future...

HTH :D
    WALLZY, c4rLo5 and krunch like this.
  4. c4rLo5

c4rLo5 Team Driver Gold Member

Just to add another perspective. I've recently got a Reverb G2 after having had a CV1 since launch.
    Pros: Amazing clarity. This is basically the reason I upgraded from my CV1. I loved my CV1, however the resolution was it's only downside. I always ran supersampling to get the clearest picture. With the G2, I no longer need SuperSampling at all or AntiAliasing as much.
    Cons: Expensive. (I was one of the lucky ones that pre-ordered and only paid $779)
    Controllers are nowhere near as good as the oculus; haptic feedback is weak; and controller tracking is ordinary and distracting when lost. This is a non-issue if you only plan to use the headset for simracing.
    Windows Mixed Reality on top of Steam VR is a pain compared to Oculus's plug and play.
    With the higher resolution, it also requires a high end system to run. I have a 9700k @ 5 GHz and a 2080Ti and I can only run ACC on low settings. Probably more to do with ACC VR performance though.

Still very happy with the G2 simply because of the resolution, but as Krunch and Rolz said, if you can handle VR without getting crook, the immersion is addictive.
    WALLZY, Wally, krunch and 1 other person like this.
  5. WALLZY

Thanks for the feedback. i went with the oculus rift s. It just turned up this evening so i will see how it goes.
    krunch and c4rLo5 like this.
  6. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    I've got Rift S, it's great for Dirt Rally 2.0, AMS2, RF2 and AC, but I mostly use the monitor for ACC as the image clarity is quite bad.
  7. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

how'd you go with it?
  8. WALLZY

Pretty good. Took a bit of fiddling for me to be happy with it. Spent a fair bit of time yesterday trying different settings.

Found I can run it on reasonably high settings with no issues, but I am going to test it tonight on multiplayer to see out the settings stack up.

I miss the clarity I have on my monitor, but the immersion is amazing. (running between the walls at Bathurst felt really cool)
    I managed to set my fastest time ever on Bathurst wearing it, so it will be interesting to see how I go in tonight's race.
    krunch and UrsineSaturn9 like this.
  9. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Running any supersampling and AWS on or off?
    krunch likes this.
  10. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Immersion can’t beat beaten, some tracks can really offer the ass clenched moments, Bathurst is certainly one of them. Sending it down skyline on a hot lap is something special
    WALLZY, c4rLo5 and krunch like this.