ACC RaceOnOz ACC [PC] Season 5 - Round 8 Enduro Bathurst

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Competizione PC Monday Night' started by krunch, Mar 17, 2021.

1. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Sessions starting 15 mins earlier tonight - See the poll thread.
  2. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

Someone else can take my spot, i'm done with this series
  3. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

Not even one lap...disappointing.
  4. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Rookie

Thanks for that really enjoyed it, especially the first hour, completely stuffed the 2nd hour, pitted for wets, then the track dried so tried to pit for softs. I thought changing the pit strategy number would go back to dry tyres, but instead it didn't change tyres at all, so I did a lovely stop and go, figured out how to change tyres the next lap around so pitted again, over shot etc. Finally had dries. Held p3 when the rain came at the end and decided since I really don't know ACC just do whatever Andy does, he pitted, so I did as well. The big ball mofos behind stayed on slicks (awesome work!) so end result p6.

If you told me p6 at the the start of practice I would have been stoked, so no complaints there, really great fun! Catch you all most likely in 2 weeks at imola.
  5. Wally

Wally Team Driver

I had an alright race, all things considering. The start in the spray at the back was mad - I couldn't see any road. I missed all mishaps (I had an almighty 360 degree spin at the chase on the 1st lap in the wet and somehow ended up facing the right way without hitting anyone, but had an almighty flatspot for about 1:10 hours). I held it together pretty well, but after I pitted for dries just as the rain stopped, the dries were way too slippery and I clouted the wall at Sulman park, which needed about 1:30 mins repairs). I stayed out on dries to the bitter end, tiptoeing around in the rain on very cold and very under-pressured tyres, just keen to finish.

Here's how to take the chase:

There's a road here somewhere...
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Nick Firth, Bueller, tezpez85 and 3 others like this.
  6. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

Looks like it was a substantial graveyard with some pacey people in there. RIP.

Didn't even get the time to write my own obituary before railing a backwards @Godzilla, then pitting for dry's on the drying track and immediately aquaplaning at T1.

Congrats to the survivors!
  7. TomHanks

TomHanks Rookie

Fun start to the race, could see one set of tail lights, nothing else. Got 6 or 7 laps in driving really well for me then found Dominiak's Ferrari parked on a fast exit up the hill, no chance at all to avoid it there. 2 minutes of repairs later...
    At 75minutes to go I found a reason to keep racing, @UrsineSaturn9 25 seconds up the road. So I chased him for over an hour until finally with just a few minutes left I made the pass
    But disappointed from the crash, but thanks for the race
    krunch, tezpez85, Nick Firth and 3 others like this.
  8. Bueller

Bueller Rookie

That felt like a real proper Bathurst race, good mix of weather, tyre requirements, and yellow flags. Luck played a great role in getting to fourth by the end, also maybe a half decent bit of consistency with all conditions/incidents considered, only had one minor rub against the wall over the mountain in 2hrs. Matt Frost put pressure on for a bunch of laps and I started to squirm a bit. Tyre pressures weren't too bad for the majority of the race although a bit high with the wets and a bit low initially with the slick. With the rain at the end I also thought I'd do what the guy in front of me does, I could see Matt's big steel ones off in the distance shining away, so I followed. Andy was a couple seconds behind me as he finished, I was tempted to slow down, let him pass and hopefully not have to do another lap, but not sure if it would pan out I pressed on for a 2:30 ice skating in the dark lap. Great race, extremely fun challenge, thanks guys.
  9. Nick Firth

Nick Firth Rookie

Awesome race, I had an absolute blast at a track that I have nothing but the utmost respect and fear for. Always on edge, always clinching the butt cheeks and always looking to Brocky for guidance.

Q: The rain was my friend. I'm not the fastest around Bathurst in the dry and the rain is always going to mix things up. Quickly raised the car, added some downforce, turned up TC and away we went. 8th in Qualifying which at Bathurst was worth it's weight in gold.

R: Again, happy to see it raining, some minor tweaks on Qualifying setup for the race. Avoided carnage and got into a nice groove for the first hour. Tyres were happy and the car was really stable.

Then the sun came out, I thought I'd stay on wets for as long as possible waiting for the return of the rain, but alas it didn't and my tyres began to cook. Quick pit, slap on some drys and enough fuel to see me out.

15 minutes to go and hey, let's go night time racing in a storm :laugh:. Like many I was watching what others were doing in front of me. I saw S. Jacobs pitted for wets so I took a gamble and stayed on the slicks hoping to gain a spot.

After a couple of slow laps on ice cold tyres dancing across the top of the mountain, Jacobs quickly reeled me in. I pulled to the side and let him go by, no need for tears or bloodshed towards the end of an enduro.

7Th place overall, stoked.:)
    c4rLo5, krunch, Shawn Jacobs and 3 others like this.
  10. Godzilla

Godzilla Team Driver

Having slept on it I’m out for the last two races, have fun all
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  11. krunch

Me to Server: "Looks like we have you sorted now"
    Server: "Hold my beer..."

Me: "Virtual weather still isn't realistic enough"
    NSW weather: "Hold my beer..."

OK so the server did a few mysterious things, like almost no rain during the week then drenching us last night but overall I think it turned out to have some really good variation. Hopefully a few more tweaks and a close eye on session config typos (umm oops :whistling:) should net us a good range of conditions to play with.

My race was good fun. The Lexus is just a big dependable beast at any track and that was certainly helpful At Bathurst in the wet. I do feel a tiny bit sorry for those in some of the less 'stable' cars. :roflmao:

Qual: With the wet qualifying I was just a bit too cautious and never really pushed enough for a whole lap. As a result I was almost last.

Race: Seeing the rain I gambled on using my dry setup with added ride height and wing plus wets. It worked pretty well although it was scary stuff in the spray at the start and going up the Mount. Entertaining too when at the end of Lap 1 Wally put on his Chase spin show! :eek: :notworthy:

I had a number of battles in the wet first half of the race which were plenty fun. Unfortunately Vandalay and I had a collision at T2 which I think was probably a racing incident with both of us not quite making enough allowance for the other in the wet conditions. He spun and hit the wall which was a terrible result whereas I was lucky and hung onto the car enough to end up sitting in the middle of T2. Well done to those behind who scraped through with barely a touch. I carried on having lost a few spots but managed to claw them back over the next little while. As attrition grew I was moving up the leaderboard bit by bit.

About halfway through the race I brushed the wet exit curb at McPhillamy park which instantly threw me at the inside wall. The front left hit pretty hard but somehow didn't spin me and I carried on. The tank I was driving sustained about 15 sec of aero damage but the handling was still fine! Talk about lucky! Pretty sure the wall sustained a nasty bruise :sneaky:.

I had started with an almost full tank intending to 1 stop if I could. As the track got dryer I was waiting to see if there was any more rain on the forecast. When I finally pitted I had both a dry and wet strategy ready. I mentally flipped a coin as I rolled up to my marks and... went with wets. Hmmm. :unsure:

I'll never really know if that was a mistake or not. After a few fun grippy laps I started to wish I'd gone for the dry tyres. I had gambled on rain returning but there was none in sight. As my wets got hotter my laptimes got slower. The whole time I was considering pitting again but I knew the damn rain would hit if I did. Because of the field spread and attrition I wasn't actually falling down the leaderboard. I just kept on going, trying to keep the wets from exploding. :cautious:

When finally, in the last 10mins the rain did return my tyre widget looked like a tray of overdone hotdogs. The tyres must have been balloons! The pressures were in the 39's! I felt like I was in a high-chair. I was certainly wobbling about the place like a toddler. Of course there was no tread left on them so I was now effectively on slicks in the rain. The only saving grace was that they actually cooled to a perfect temperature and then stayed there. Yes they were macaroni & cheese but at least they weren't cold macaroni & cheese.:p

So somehow I ended up 9th having started 31st. I'll take it! I can safely say that all I left on the track was some warm macaroni & cheese.:thumbsup:

Well done to those who started
    Very well done to those who finished
    and Congrats to Andy for the win, Mitchell for 2nd and Matt for 3rd.
  12. krunch

:cry:
  13. Mael

Mael Professional

In true Bathurst fashion it was a tale of elation, frustration, anger, sadness, pride, terrified to name just a few of the emotions experienced during the 2 hours. Really enjoyed the experience and makes me have more respect for the people (guys and girls) does it in real life.

Except for the crazy first lap spray found the wet weather not too bad. Sadly 15 minutes of poor concentration scuttled any chance of a good result. The 15 minutes included two crashed, 2 pit stops with 1 minute repair time, crash into @Wally after a missed brake marker (SORRY!!) to name just a few incidents.

Also learned that 12 minutes in the wet on worn slicks are not good :cautious:
    tezpez85, krunch and CornfordCaster like this.
  14. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    After waking up slightly more sleep deprived than usual on a Tuesday morning after having completed my first ever 2h race the night before I am in two minds on whether that was an enjoyable experience or not.

Firstly, the weather! Christ! Flooded conditions for qually were "interesting" though I managed to find some clear track and earned myself a respectable mid-field grid spot.

Then came the race. Set up changes consisted of nothing more than sticking with the aggressive preset, taking a guess on tyre pressures and changing back to brake pad #2 as I've heard #1 are only good for an hour or so. Entered the track. Was I forgetting anything? The damn fuel! Only had 25L in the tank from qually! So not a great start and a screen freeze for about 1 second the first time going over the mountain saw me lose control slightly and bump along the wall and lose a few places. Nothing too bad though and thankfully didn't wreck anyone else's race.

So after 6 laps or so, I needed to come into the pits to refuel. At this stage the rain had stopped and forecast was only cloudy though the track was still wet. I took a punt and changed to slicks, however not only did the track take seemingly forever to dry out, it soon began to rain again, so back into the pits for a second time for wets and also added enough fuel to get to the end* but had no idea if the tyres would last for 90 minutes.

Started to put in some consistent laps then and generally minding my own business as I let faster drivers through from time to time, and then the rain stopped again! Pit stop number 3, just changed to slicks, I had enough fuel, right?

Wrong! About 30 minutes to go I realised it was going to be tight to make the end so started short shifting and fiddling around with fuel map (8 different settings! No idea what they do, but assume that higher numbers = less fuel usage). It was not enough. Not only had my steady 17 second gap to @Tom Hanks dwindled from the fuel saving, I would have to pit a forth time anyway. AND it was dark. AND it had started raining again. AND I missed my pit box (it is hard to see in the dark and rain!). So after taking the 10 extra litres of fuel I needed to get to the end and changing back to wets I at least got to unlap myself from someone skating around on slicks to come home 19th and last on track.
    BUT, I finished! No major incidents or spins, just some gentle wall scrapes and light damage to repair. Even had to come to a near complete stop at the chase when someone else spun in front of me and still managed to avoid that carnage. So out of 35 or so starters, not all that bad I suppose.

So, I ask, do I sound like someone that enjoyed myself?
    tezpez85, Cooper, krunch and 3 others like this.
  15. killagorilla

killagorilla Rookie

During the first lap, especially under these conditions I just tried to avoid running into someone...I could hardly make out my braking markers...so, I thought, don't do any stupid things, stay on track, don't f** up someone's race and try to get into some sort of rhythm. I don't think I was going slow, but the fella behind me maybe thought I did. No idea what he tried to achieve...maybe going side-by-side or making a pass through the dipper. That didn't work...moved the both of us to the end of the field. It happened too often this season. Initially I was really thinking having 40+ people in the same cars is awesome. I'm not used to such large fields and this is only my second season in ACC. I'm the newbie and I don't claim I'm right. Maybe it's just a streak of bad luck, but I get the impression having >40 cars in the same class on track is causing too many issues. Last season with GT3s and GT4s was a lot better in my eyes. I didn't expect to finish this race, but I was hoping to do more than one lap.
  16. TakFR

TakFR Rookie

This has happened in over half of the races this season for me, the standards of driving in Pro is fine but Silver and Am can be laughably bad to the point where it's more an iRacing public lobby strategy of just survive and watch everyone else take each other out (that's probably being unfair to iRacing actually, I've had way cleaner races from them then I have here in this season on average). One of the issues is people never really report any of this, they just move on and even in the event of a report they end up slightly further back in the field then they were before which really doesn't matter overall.

In Kyalami I was killed by a Ferrari who didn't slow despite double yellows and a spinning car ahead
    In Hungaroring I was killed by a Mercedes who went on the brakes way too late
    In Paul Ricard I ended up reporting a Ferrari who didn't even attempt to take the corner properly and destroyed a Mclaren behind me (since no one else really reports these things)
    In Spa I was killed by another Lexus who slammed into my rear, who then went on to take out another car and retire the 3 of us
    In Bathurst I was killed by an Aston who decided to push a Ferrari into the grass while side by side, I moved out of the way, only to have the same Aston completely smash into the back of me since he just decided that braking was optional.

The weather variation on top of everythine else was just stupid imo setting it to 100% so Qualifying was listed as "Flooded" just made me start at the back and watch everyone else die ahead, which they did. The conditions at the start of the race probably wouldn't even happen IRL with how blinding the spray was, it's not a good sign that I was heavily considering quitting out after qualifying since I knew it was going to be a :):):):)show that was a waste of time and practice, and guess what.... it was.
  17. Wally

Wally Team Driver

While you can't do much about being rear-ended by a kamikaze, there's a certain skill to be learnt around spotting trouble and staying out of it. I don't qualify all that well, but I've rarely been killed, and maybe that's due to league racing for well over 10 years and having developed an eye for where to be and where not to be. As frustrating as it is to be taken out of a race, I would say it's worth persisting and learning how to negotiate those crowded opening laps.
  18. krunch

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying the experience. I do understand it can be frustrating when you have a run of races where you are caught up in incidents, however if you persist that won't last and you'll no doubt have some fantastic battles and races here. The only way to get better at racing in a pack is to keep racing in a pack. The important thing is to analyse each incident and look to see if you could have done something different that might have resulted in a better outcome. Even if you feel the major fault lies with another driver your own actions might have contributed in some way to a given incident. It's not always the case of course - sometimes you just get shafted - but if you keep getting hit it can't hurt to have an honest look at why.

At this league we like to encourage new sim racers to learn from the experienced ones here - not many leagues do that. That means we are all probably going to take a hit every now and then - but so be it. Even the best drivers make mistakes but they get into less trouble because they've learned from them and can spot warning signs earlier. Those of us not at the top level can learn so much just by being on track with the top guys.

@TakFR - Just for the record nobody set the server to 100% anything. There is no such setting. The weather system gets changed with almost every patch that Kunos releases so even they don't fully understand how it works. As admins we've worked hard and spent time in order to better understand the system so we can deliver interesting and variable events to everyone. The way you've expressed yourself in your final paragraph borders on insulting - but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it as pure frustration born out of a passion for sim racing.
  19. Mael

Mael Professional

The weather for Bathurst was more than acceptable/ and realistic, thanks Krunch. Even in real life the track are known for its tricky variable weather.!

With the rain that occurred there were minimal aquaplaning, nothing like Kunos earlier "light rain" attempts :D Plus a substantial portion of the race was run in the dry. Just had to try and get through the first few laps.

Yeah the alien drivers have it easy, us backmarkers are the ones with real skills :p
    c4rLo5, Wally, Bueller and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jeremy Talbot

Jeremy Talbot Rookie

I really enjoyed the weather, it felt realistic and added a new dimension to the strategy, especially with the on again/off again element.

I had a good race marred by two moments. After the early laps of figuring out how to drive on a flooded track I found some pace and started setting fastest lap after fastest lap which had me grinning from ear to ear... until I put a wheel on the kerb on turn 1. That turned me around and gave me a 57 second stop the next lap, and that was without changing tyres which I thought I'd hold on to. I came out in 22nd and just thought I'll put my head down and put some quick laps in. I managed to catch and pass a few guys, some even let me pass so thanks for that, until I came up to Mr Gock. We were in 6th and 7th at that time after people had pitted, I was hoping Gock would pit as well but he didn't so I hung pretty close hoping to take an advantage of a potential mistake. A mistake was made and he ran wide going up the hill so I dove to the inside, unfortunately he clipped the wall sending him into my side pushing me into the wall on the other side. Car was broken again.

That was frustrating, I wasn't going to take tyres at my next stop again so I could hopefully gain 16 seconds on the guys in front. So once again I had a 57 second stop, I nearly quit then. Came out of the pits and the car just didn't feel right, understeer galore and ended up clipping a wall or two on that outlap. It was at that point my frustration got the better of me and I quit. Very unusual of me to do so but it was already nearly 1am and to come back a second time was not going to happen with a car that didn't want to turn