VR VR Rift Tips & Tricks for ACC

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Rolz, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Since we have a nice thread on VR info for AC I thought I'd try to get one going for ACC

Basically the biggest improvement in my CV1 experience has been by adding a few custom settings into the engine.ini file.

File is located here C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
    Note - AppData is a hidden folder by default, so can't just navigate to it... either enable it to be seen or type in "Appdata" and hit enter in the explorer bar when you get to C:\Users\your_user_name\ in Windows Explorer

Add this at the bottom of the Engine.ini file
    Note - These are all UE4 specific tweaks (ACC uses UE as the graphics engine)

[ConsoleVariables]
    r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
    a.URO.ForceInterpolation=1
    a.URO.ForceAnimRate=2
    r.OptimizeForUAVPerformance=1
    r.UseShaderCaching=1
    r.UseShaderPredraw=1
    r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=1
    r.Streaming.FramesForFullUpdate=1
    r.bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=True
    r.Streaming.DefragDynamicBounds=1
    r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=2
    r.Streaming.Boost=0
    r.Streaming.PoolSize=0
    r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1

Extra info
    You can check every UE4 (Unreal Engine) config parameters here
    Just put the config parameter you want to check (e.g. r.Tonemapper.Sharpen) in the search box - you can also search by keywords (e.g. Tonemapper)

Will add on more as I find it.

my gfx settings from menuSettings.json file

"graphicOptions":
    {
    "resolution":
    {
    "x": 2560,
    "y": 1080
    },
    "useFullscreen": true,
    "mirrorQualityLevel": 1,
    "maxCarsVisible": 20,
    "isMBlurEnabled": 0,
    "motionBlurLevel": 1,
    "isAATemporal": false,
    "aACustom": 0,
    "colorSaturation": 1,
    "sharpen": 1.5999999046325684,
    "pixelDensity": 1.1999999284744263,
    "isHDRActive": true,
    "mirrorDistance": 12000,
    "horizonLock": 0,
    "advancedSharpenFilter": false,
    "materialsQuality": 0,
    "temporalUpsampling": false,
    "volumetricFog": 0,
    "bloomLevel": 0.30000001192092896,
    "bloomQuality": 2,
    "mirrorsResolution": 1,
    "cameraDirtLevel": 1,
    "foliageLodQuality": 1,
    "whiteBalance": 9300,
    "carLODSet": 0,
    "hLODEnabled": true,
    "colorScheme": 1,
    "imageExposureGain": 0.39999997615814209,
    "imageContrast": 0.5,
    "gfxPreset": 4
    },
    "customGraphicOptions":
    {
    "resolutionQuality": 100,
    "viewDistanceQuality": 2,
    "antiAliasingQuality": 2,
    "shadowQuality": 1,
    "postProcessQuality": 2,
    "textureQuality": 2,
    "effectsQuality": 2,
    "foliageQuality": 2,
    "mirrorQualityLevel": 1,
    "maxCarsVisible": 20,
    "isAATemporal": false,
    "aACustom": 0,
    "pixelDensity": 1.1999999284744263,
    "mirrorDistance": 12000,
    "advancedSharpenFilter": false,
    "materialsQuality": 0,
    "temporalUpsampling": false,
    "volumetricFog": 0,
    "bloomLevel": 0.30000001192092896,
    "bloomQuality": 2,
    "mirrorsResolution": 1,
    "foliageLodQuality": 1,
    "carLODSet": 0,
    "hLODEnabled": true
    },

also my nvidia control panel settings
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    beakeroo and c4rLo5 like this.
  2. TF22Raptor

TF22Raptor New Recruit

Hi all first time user of Assetto Corsa Competizione V1 edition here, running Oculus VR on 1080GTX, with no early access experience.

For me out of the box I had this really bad transparent shimmer effect on a lot of the thin lines (like the white road lines and catch fencing which made the image appear what people probably are calling “blurry” on the mid to background of the image (around the cockpit wasn’t noticeable).

Major settings I’ve figured out for me how to change to get the experience better:
    Make sure you have a frame rate counter on (I used steams, under settings) put it bottom left.

In game video settings
    Resolution scale changed from 100% to 99% (to allow viewing of settings in car)
    Antialiasing type changed from fxaa to temporal
    Sharpness was at 80% moved to 200% (still trying to work out if it makes a difference)
    View distance from low to mid (could go high still experimenting)
    Texture high
    A lot of these other settings change to as high as possible depending on frame counter aiming for 90fps from what I understand. Still working out if I can notice a difference on a lot of them.

Then do the engine file edit as discussed by Rolz and put all those into the bottom of the file and this will again help with removal of shimmer effect on thin lines.

It took me 2 goes at loading the game before these engine settings took effect for whatever reason.

To me the cockpit area is great but the image out of the window still appears a touch out of focus / blurry (yes I have made sure eye pupil distance is correct/refocused).

So trying to working whether to experiment with Oculus Open tray tool to help with pixel density.
    Since changing the resolution scale, I can no longer change pixel density settings slider in game and it is on 100%, need to experiment.
  3. Rolz

added a spreadsheet so you can hopefully understand what each of my engine.ini settings does
    c4rLo5 likes this.
  4. Rolz

just added some more info on my settings if that helps anyone
  5. Rolz

new update, with a big cut down on whats needed in the engine.ini
    UrsineSaturn9 and c4rLo5 like this.
  6. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    These tweaks still relevant for a Rift S? I've never been able to get ACC to look any good in VR, but might give this a try
  7. Rolz

in all honesty this needs updating...
    I've now been running with no engine.ini extra's for easy 6months... forgot to update after my last rebuild...still same gfx card (sadly), but updated CPU/RAM
    What I've focused on now is making sure Oculus ASW kicks in (in game, not by the tool) so I'm forcing 40fps with enough eye candy... For me the best stress test for a machine in ACC is running a single player race around 20-25 AI at sunset or sunrise... def try a few tracks as some are more impacting than others...
    In SP the more cars you have impacts CPU so don't overload too much as in MP this doesn't hit ur CPU as much I found... this is why 20-25 for me is a sweet spot...
    You will def notice fps drops with building shadows and extra light effects at sunrise/sunset... so do ur testing/tuning for that...
    If you are running a VR device that doesn't do the extra frame inserts like ASW does for Oculus then tune it for what is ideal there... 80/90 etc...

Each PC is different so again all I can suggest is find what works for you using the testing parameters I mentioned...

Running a single player race around 20-25 AI at sunset or sunrise, at multiple tracks... Nurburgring, Misano, Spa where there are objects around the track that cause shadows etc impacting how the game process the visuals...

Tune that right and u can confidently hit an MP race with 35plus drivers and ur fps should stay solid... and for me these days thats the important part... I don't want it to be on 80 then dropping to 65-70 as it's super tough (crap) to drive on... other wise u crank too much with ASW and it's on 40 dropping to 35... nightmare (uber crap) to drive with...

Eventually I'll get my hands on a 3080 or the TI and can bump it up even higher...

Hope that helps
    UrsineSaturn9 likes this.