Cockpit Clevohead's New (for tax purposes) Home Office "Work Desk"

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Clevohead, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Spidey_11, bjh1012 and Ad2mny like this.
  2. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Going iRacing Clevo? The more I watch the live races on Twitch the more I'd like to give it a go, but with the PS4 coming I might wait and see...
  3. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    I may get back into it, I did do a 3 month trial and enjoyed it (very time consuming to be competitive) but this will mainly be for a dedicated PS3/4 and my work laptop (hooked into the monitor)

The rig only comes with a single monitor mount to start with, and you can add on the additional mounts at a later date.

Getting this will mean I can race anytime (meaning I will be online more ;)) and no one is arguing over the tv etc, etc... and also do my at home work in it and not getting asked to get off the computer desk when someone else wants to use the computer, etc, etc..
    Ad2mny likes this.
  4. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Keen to hear monitor feedback. About to buy a new one myself. PC hooked up to the tv atm. Not very user friendly.
  5. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    At the moment the BenQ is looking the goods, under $300, with stereo speakers (not big deal) and every coonnector under the sun D-Sub, DVI, HDMI, Headphone Jack, Line In.
  6. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Clevohead likes this.
  7. Juzzo

Juzzo Administrator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

PSN ID
    Juzzotec
    Nice rig Clevo :)
    When it comes to monitors, I really like the low response Asus range 2ms is fine and 24" is the sweet spot for 1080p.
    Your going to have a ball regardless, also like the Obutto ;)
    Getting my rig in September, have gone through a couple in my time.
    B&W small work bench > Apiga > Next level racing gtxtreme > Rennsport wheel stand and now GTUltimate.
    Any reason for choosing the Obutto, it does look really good btw :)
  8. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Main reason was bang for my buck, and I think Obutto ticks all the boxes. Keyboard/mouse table, every adjustment under the sun, monitor stand, and the ability to increase desk space with the optional acrylic desktop (but I have ordered some acrylic stone bench top cut to size off Quadstretch that is black with a silver quartz speck/fleck, will look awesome polished up ;)) So with all those options as standard makes for an economical rig. I have been chatting with some of the guys at insidesimracing and they have this rig and love it and have been extremely helpful, plus it looks tough as nails :cool:.

I was initially thinking of a Fanatec CSL but the cost of getting to Aus was killing it as an economical rig, plus after reading some reviews it may have been a bit tight on my rubenesque 130kg frame o_O next inline was an rSeat, and I was close to pulling the trigger on it, but the Aussie dollar slipped, and then they got their Aus site up and running then their cost wasn't inline with current exchange rates, it was going to work out roughly $100 more than the Obutto without a monitor stand and keboard tray to add to the insult.

I did consider a Pagnian unit as well, but once again the Obutto out classed it on features and cost.

And what of "Dragula"? some of you may be thinking, well she was ok, but very heavy to manoeuvre, wheel deck too low, and a crappy seat made it not as much of pleasure to drive as I had initially hoped. She will be retired to the garage and the carcass will be stripped out and stood on end with shelves fitted, so she will be recycled into something of function, I would have given it to Quadstretch but he has been developing something that he may let me post some pics of later :p
    beannie84 and Juzzo like this.
  9. Juzzo

PSN ID
    Juzzotec
    I like the Obutto R3volution aka Batman and would definitely consider one IF I was replacing a whole desk/computer set-up Its more a multi purpose workstation in my point of view and that's a positive, not a negative at all.
    Quoted both rigs...
    GTUltimate with kb/mouse and triple monitor stand costs $977.00 Delivered.
    Obutto R3volution includes kb/mouse but with triple monitor stand costs $1,149 Delivered

I think the only noticeable feature the Obutto has over the Pagnian at first glance, is the ability to have an acrylic top but the GTUltimate is roughly $172 cheaper.

For sheer beauty you cant look past those human racing rigs mate, honestly I've wondered across to MADCAP's thread so many times and just jaw dropping. He has customized it to perfection, from the decals to the paint :eek: :D Also important to note, bare chasis on those things cost $1500 alone :( so overpriced but thats the price you pay for dating a super model.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    beannie84 likes this.
  10. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    The work station part is what gives me the tax break in my home office ;)

But add a monitor stand to the GTextreme and you are at $644 with freight, and the Obutto Ozone is landed to me for $649 ( I think you were looking at the "Gaming Cockpit" not the "Racing Cockpit" which is cheaper as it doesn't have the table included) but it still has a keyboard tray standard over the Ultimate c/w: monitor stand. I think $5 is a cheap keyboard tray, especially an articulated neoprene covered one.

Plus I like the look of the Ozone over the GTextreme.
    Juzzo likes this.
  11. Juzzo

PSN ID
    Juzzotec
    Ah I thought you were comparing the r3volution... I really think the oZone is bang for buck anyday against the gtxtreme option.

Make sure you post up some photos when you have it all setup, is it on its way now? I'm thinking of buying a buttkicker soon myself. Not sure if its any good though ;)
  12. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Not yet mate, just waiting on Tax to come back ;)
    Juzzo likes this.
  13. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    OK pulled the trigger on this bad boy today, Brendon from Simparts in NZ has been very helpful and accommodating in my purchase.

Unfortunately I missed today's truck, but it will be picked up in the morning, I will be sure to document the whole process as well as unboxing, and setup.

Can't wait, I hope I have it before Sunday, Brendon said he sent one recently to Tas an hour from me, and it only took 2 days to get there from NZ, so fingers crossed.
    Ad2mny and S_CLOSE like this.
  14. Anon666

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Oooohhh, new toys!! Can't wait to see the pic's.
    Clevohead likes this.
  15. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
  16. Anon666

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Nice Clevo. Had to get a new one recently myself and opted for the Asus (can't remember which one), but can't get over the quality of the picture compared to the old one. Did you get 3??
  17. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Na just one, at this stage ;)
  18. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Monitor turned up today :D

But the thing that pisses me off is: My cockpit left NZ yesterday arvo, and was in Melbourne 9 hours later :cool: will be in Tas by tomorrow morning :D but according to the freight company it is going to take 3 days for the last 1 hour leg of the journey, that is a joke :mad: I feel I may be making a trip to Launceston tomorrow arvo to pick up straight from the depot just so I can I have it for the weekend :(
    Ad2mny likes this.
  19. Anon666

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Is the last leg via log raft??
  20. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Na bullock team mate, we ain't that backwards down here in Tassie ;)

[​IMG]

I called DHL today and chased up what the go was, they pointed me in the direction of their Tas agents, I called them, and they said if it is on tonight's flight I will have it tomorrow, but if it was tomorrow's flight it would be Monday :( but he said I could do a depot pick up if it was on tomorrow's flight, in the arvo. So I will at least have it by tomorrow night either way.