Audio Best Gaming Headphones

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Derrrwayne, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Derrrwayne

Derrrwayne New Recruit

I have been told that a good set of headphones can add another dimension to your gaming, but the market is flooded with choice. What in your opinion is the best set of headphones to use, and why ?? I am considering buying a good set but couldn't find a thread on this topic. Look forward to some input.
  2. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    What is your budget and plat form???
    If you are on PS4 and haven't had a headset before I would recommend the licensed PS4 headset, as my mate has them and as he said "if you haven't used a headset before they cover all the bases, and as far as you are concerned they will be awesome" (as you have nothing to compare to) and to boot you can trust the brand:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.gamesmen.com.au/headset-sony-wireless-20-ps4-ps3-vita?gclid=CKKE6bf3ss4CFYKYvAodxT4CKA

All you are going to do looking at all on the market is probably confuse yourself, these are capable and made to Sony' standard, and are at a reasonable price point.

If you are PC then there are thousands of options, I personally use Astro A40s, I purchased these for my PS3/4 and potential future PC duties. I like the fact all the cables on the Astros are replaceable, as I had two pairs of PX11s prior that the cables had broken on. It is all going to be horses for courses. There are some cheaper ones on The Gamesmen site, but if you look at something and you like it, do a youtube review search, chances are someone has done a review, and watch 2 or 3 reviews to a get a well rounded idea of what they are like.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:
    incey and SPL Racing like this.
  3. SPL Racing

SPL Racing Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    SPL_Racing
    Yeah I bought a pair of these 2 years ago for PS3 and still using them on PS4. They cost about $90 and are very comfortable, sound is great and has a voice/sound balancer. not top of the range but great for the price.
    Clevohead likes this.
  4. Derrrwayne

Derrrwayne New Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I am using on PS4. Might sound like a dumb question, but I don't know the answer. Will the headphones plug into the tv set or the PS4 if I am using a wheel and pedals ?? I take it they would usually plug into the PS4 controller if you were playing a normal game.
    Clevohead likes this.
  5. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    The ones I linked to there are a USB link to the PS4 as they are wireless my A40s use a combination of USB and Optical Audio to achieve operation on the PS4. A USB hub can be used if you start running out of ports.
    Derrrwayne likes this.
  6. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    I am using Turtle Beach PX11 on my PS3 and they work on PS4. Plug them into the usb port on the front of either PS3 or 4.
  7. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Don't you need to link up to the white/red audio jacks on the PS3 as well as USB?
  8. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    yes.
    But on PS4 it works with just USB
    however the separate voice/game volume knobs don't work as intended. The voice knob becomes the only one for all sounds
  9. NAACS

NAACS Professional

PSN ID
    NAACS
    Astro A40.
    Only headset to use.
    Bye
    Clevohead likes this.
  10. Derrrwayne

Derrrwayne New Recruit

Reasons why ??
  11. NAACS

NAACS Professional

PSN ID
    NAACS
    Sound and voice clarity.
    Ease of use.
    Multiple mute options.
    Replaceable parts, software/driver updates.
    Rock solid construction, Ive sat on them more than once and they haven't broken.
    Optical sound is awesome, no crackle etc.
    Can be bought through Gamestate Australia, i bought a second set through them for dual connection so a friend can listen and chat too (dual connection box from Astro).
    Check out links below for accolades and reviews:
    http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-tr-headset-+-mixamp™-pro-tr/A40-MIXAMP-TR.html
    http://gamestate.net.au/
    http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/gaming/best-pc-gaming-headsets/astro-a40-review/
    http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/01/08/astro-a40-tr-headset-mixamp-pro-tr-review

12. incey

incey World Champion

PSN ID
    incey
    I like the sony 2.0 too, especially for the money. They have a detachable lead that plugs into a standard headphone jack if you want to use them for your phone or whatever as well. Also you can use them while they are charging which is very handy for those long sessions.
    Clevohead and Derrrwayne like this.
  13. Easyprey007

Easyprey007 Professional

PSN ID
    Easyprey007
    I use a set Astro A40. they are very comfortable great sound.
    a bonus is the cord unplugs from the headset so its easy to replace if it gets broken.
    I have the case for them so I put them away every time I finish with them.
    Well worth the money.
    Clevohead and Derrrwayne like this.
  14. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Also, everyone else can hear your crew chief!
  15. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Not so much a budget option but I'm happy with my Logitech G933 setup. Wireless doodad plugs into PS4 or PC via USB, and contains a 3.5mm input jack on it. So I run a 3.5mm male to male audio cable from my tablet to said doodad for wireless streaming of pit crew chief audio. The microphone is very easy to mute/unmute by pushing the boom out of the way.

They're comfortable and sound good. Surprised how much bass they can carry for being wireless. I reduced that quite early on via the PC software (profiles are then saved to the headphones themselves). Battery lasts a good number of hours. I charge them once per week.

They have a tendency to fall off if you tilt your head back to finish your drink of choice, however.
    REVO_Bryan likes this.
  16. Clevohead

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Just had a look, they look cool, but the one thing I don't understand is why they need lighting? o_O Not having a dig at you mate, just why all gaming gear needs lights???
  17. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    I completely agree, and have turned mine off for that little extra battery life.
    Clevohead likes this.
  18. Derrrwayne

Derrrwayne New Recruit

Which USB hubs are you guys using ?? There seems to be issues with some that work with what we look to use them for, and many that don't. Any recommendations ??
  19. Hatfield

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    i use a logitech powered hub with both ps3 and ps4
  20. Derrrwayne

Derrrwayne New Recruit

So it plugs into the Sony as well as having a separate power cord that plugs into the wall ?? From a google search, I read many comments about not using a powered hub ?? Any idea on why ?? And what are you using on the hub ?? Most other info I read on them was purely used for charging purposes rather than a steering wheel, shifter, headset etc as we would be using.