BJ (Awarded posthumously)

Discussion in 'Super ROOZ Members' started by stucar17, Jun 12, 2014.

1. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    As you all know, we lost a great bloke in Bruce (aka BJ) on 9/6/14. Below is the message i received from his wife Brenda, who i think was grateful for his time racing with us, as it got him out of her hair !!

"Hi Stu this is Brenda, Bruce's wife,
    Sadly Bruce passed away on Mon morning due to a internal hemorrhage, could you please let everyone else know, I know you guys were a important part of his life.
    Bren"

Below is a fitting Tribute to our Friend BJ, written by Anon.

In Memoriam - Bruce (BJ) John Hale.

Even as I type this I really can’t believe it’s true. Our community has not only lost one of it’s proudest and most passionate members, but we have also lost a great friend.

BJ burst onto the ROOZ scene in June last year with the enthusiasm of a 15 year old, and he wouldn’t mind me saying, he drove like one too. Over the last 12 months he involved himself in nearly every event that we had, and not only became a much loved ROOZ regular, but he started to get pretty bloody good.

Joining part way through Season 11, BJ rolled the TVR around the last few races of that series to nab 6th overall. He found the NSX more to his liking in Season 12, grabbing 2 podiums and 4th in the final standings. Season 13, and the Citroen Race Car was taily in a way that BJ liked. He grabbed his first 2 ROOZ wins and was only off the podium twice during the season.

We moved to GT6 and got our BRZ’s primed and painted. Poor Division 6 didn’t know what hit them. BJ scored 4 wins, 4 poles, and 4 fastest laps - and took the Championship in style. He moved to Division 5 this season and was working on making it 2 Championships in a row. 3 wins and a second from 4 races, including 4 poles and 3 fastest laps, had him sitting pretty 45 points beyond the pack. In twelve months he went from learner to dominator.

All of this aside, BJ scored his biggest victory in last season’s Race of Champions! He held his nerve and drove a perfect race to beat some the fastest guys across our community. It is perfect serendipity that this was the last event BJ won, he was, and always will be, a Champion.

We can’t talk about BJ without talking about the man. You could find him online most nights of the week and I doubt there is a regular ROOZ member who didn’t get to experience his humour, humility and horrible kiwi accent!! Personally, I got to spend many, many hours trading jokes and insults with BJ in fits of laughter. I would look for the room he was in and strap in for a few hours of fun, hoping he may have a well lubricated voice box to keep us all entertained.

I will stop here because I'm starting to struggle a bit. Bruce was a good mate and I will miss him dearly. I don’t have much of a list when it comes to regrets in my life, but I added two today. I wish I could have met the man in person, and I wish I had the chance to say “Good-bye” one more time.

Thanks for finding us BJ.

Anon.

If you wish to leave a message on his memory wall for the family you can at the following link
    http://www.amemorytree.co.nz/remembrance.php?personid=254424

Stu
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Stiffsht, garyw61, SuiCid3 and 16 others like this.
  2. Mustafur

Mustafur World Champion

PSN ID
    Mustafur
    Allthough i didn't get to race with him much as lag seemed to ruin his ability to race plenty of times, he really liked to race and would always have some stories to tell.

Probably the most dedicated out there as he would be racing well into the early hours of the morning and thats just going by australian time.

Surely will be missed RIP.
  3. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    This was shocking to say the least because I didn't realise how much of my life I share with this community. Granted we mostly talk shop and have fun (sometimes of each other), it doesn't mean we don't become mates over time and hurts when someone parts so abruptly.
    Really hope the last year in BJ's life was a hoot, because he found a bunch of guys who cared about the same and welcome him into this small community.
    See you on the black stuff one day, mate.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    Stiffsht, KoAStR, Anon666 and 9 others like this.
  4. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    he was a like able guy full of laughs and just an all round nice guy
    i had memorable races with him and he was so cheeky that one he slowed down so i could catch up to him
    he won div 6 and would have won div 5 as well
    he obviously liked green cause all his cars were green
    you will be truely missed me old mate
    Stiffsht, Anon666, MINT_GTR and 8 others like this.
  5. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    I beat him to the line on two occasions this season when he was promoted to Div5. I'm hoping that gave him a lively couple of races instead of his usual dominance over the field and I hope that brought him the enjoyment of racing he was always seeking.
    Rest in piece mate. You were a gem to have around especially with all your incoherent and drunken late night blabbings.
    Stiffsht, MINT_GTR, Clevohead and 5 others like this.
  6. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Farewell mate, your presence on ROOZ will be sorely missed. It was wonderful to have met you through ROOZ and GT. It was a huge privilege to have raced with you, watched you get faster and faster and help you create those fantastic rally events and the Over 30's event that were so special to you. The shoutbox will not be the same without your hilarious random posts at ridiculous hours of the night! Despite not having met you in real life, I was proud to call you a mate. You were a fantastic bloke who had nothing bad to say about anyone. Most important of all, condolences to the Hale family in this very difficult time.
    I'll miss you, friend.
    Jono
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  7. Benjamin J Smith

Benjamin J Smith Professional Gold Member

Rest in Peace mate. You will be missed, my highlight almost every morning before work was to log on here and try to figure out what he was going on about during the night on the shout box.
    R.I.P.
    Stiffsht, Anon666, MINT_GTR and 7 others like this.
  8. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    Bruce. The man, the absolute legend!
    I actually first met Bj outside of Rooz in a mutual PSN friend's room. Immediately loved the laid back happy go lucky attitude he brought to racing. We signed up here within a season (or less) of each other, and got to know him more over the time we spent running laps here. Was privileged to have raced against him in seasons 12 and 13, not to mention the countless side events and practice sessions here. I think he loved his racing here more than any of us, his constant practice and willingness to part with the folding stuff for better equipment to find that better lap time is attest to that.

Farewell old boy, time to go racing in the clouds.

To the Brenda and the rest of the Hale family, you had one hell of guy to call 'husband', 'dad'. You should be proud, he really was a great man in my eyes. Mine and my family's thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Stiffsht, Anon666, MINT_GTR and 10 others like this.
  9. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    A true league junky, his presence can be felt and seen everywhere here on RaceOnOz, with his comments in almost every thread, even in the News reports. First to admit he wasn't a real good writer, but his passion came through in what he did write, and his sense of humour is what will stick with me the most.

Like some here, we did not have a great deal of races together with his "hot-spot" phone connection causing him to drop out most races we were in, but his easy going nature and laid back attitude would lead him to say "at least I'm not getting in anyone's way".

Bruce, you will be dearly missed here, and I can only imagine the hole you will have left in your family's life.

RIP mate. RIP.
    Stiffsht, Stumbles, MINT_GTR and 9 others like this.
  10. Peter Wise

Peter Wise Professional

PSN ID
    copperj32. Steam: copperj32
    Farewell Mate. It was on honor to race with you in Div 5 and I will miss seeing the number 51 macca driving off into the sunset leavin the rest of us in your dust. You had a great sense of humour and were willing to offer advice to anyone. Your posts in the threads and shout box were always entertaining as you had to read them several times to work them out.
    RIP Bruce,
    Stiffsht, Stumbles, Anon666 and 7 others like this.
  11. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    I am a man of few words and two come to mind now, THIS and BLOWS, farewell BJ, I'll miss your late night ramblings, sense of humour and ability to deflect the many subtle barbs about your kiwiness with the sense of fun in which they were intended.
    Your enthusiasm and dedication for what we do here always showed and sets an example for the rest of us to follow.
    R.I.P. Mate
    My best wishes go out to family and friends at this absolute dog of a time.
  12. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    I will never forget the day I woke up, and in my morning ritual to check Rooz, I find all these posts referring to "T6" so for the best part of the day Ad2mny and I are posting on the shoutbox trying to find out what this "T6" business is. Then finally BJ pipes up, "T6 = triple 6/Anon" o_O:p

I remember the closest race I had with BJ was was round 2, race 1 in the sprint round of the first season of GT6, Anon had helped me find 10 seconds @ Apricot Hill, BJ rocked up and had a couple, when I proudly informed him of my 1:21.xxx he pipes up "What are you doing to me Clevo?" Then we had a pretty intense race 1, and I was all keen for race 2, and BJ's net let him down.

I will miss you mate, and to the Hale family, please accept my deepest condolences.

Race in Peace mate
  13. MINT_GTR

MINT_GTR Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    MINT_Matt
    Farewell mate. In the short time I had known Bruce, it was a true honour to see his amazing display of enthusiasm, dedication and quirkiness he brought to every practice session, shoutbox post and race.
    A moment I will remember forever, was the hilarious groaning and moaning he displayed while hustling the McLaren around wet Monza one practice night, I was in absolute hysterics but it was a defining moment of raw emotion that BJ brings out on and off the track.
    BJ was the definition of what our community is about and he will sadly be missed. Enjoy your endless racing up in the clouds as you race in spirit with us all in the rest of our ROOZ days.
    My heart goes out to the members that were very close to him and my deepest condolences are sent to his family in this tragic time.

RIP Bruce, you legend
  14. emmo46

emmo46 Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    emmo46
    Dear Bruce, I'll miss you mate.
    I had many an enjoyable night with Bruce, we raced together many times and his enthusiasm and humour was infectious.
    My last race with him was the pre 84 Mustang race and I enjoyed a very good battle with him and was really chuffed that I had actually passed him without ending up in the barriers, we had a history of intercepting trajectories whenever I tried to put a pass on him.
    He was very keen to run another such event and I will now miss setting that up with him, I was waiting until the calendar quietened down a bit and have now lost that opportunity. I'm sure we would have had a ball testing and setting it up. The second instalment of the the pre 84 series will go ahead in his honour probably in July.
    His championship win in Div 6 last season and his probable win in Div 5 this season bear testament to the improvement he was striving for.
    I was looking forward to him joining us in Div 4 next year although his race lap times this season indicate he was going to give me hiding.
    RIP mate.
  15. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    The OP has been updated here guys with the message i received from his wife Brenda and a fitting tribute written by Anon.

I thought it was important to recognize Brenda's acknowledgement of how much a part of his life ROOZ had become.

I have some great memories of BJ, none more than a simple phone call i received from him a few months ago, wanting to apologize for driving one night in a practice room after having a few too many sherbets ! We then talked about his support of our sponsor "the gamesmen" and his purchase of his new wheel, and whether i could help him out in picking up some stuff for him. Knowing that he trusted me with his hard earned is very humbling, to say the least, given that we hadn't actually met other than over the airwaves.

I will certainly miss the practice nights where you could tell exactly when he was going round a corner, a slight grunt / squeak where he was holding his breath, followed by a breath out or a swear word (particularly around Bathurst) was common !

As a community we will honor Bruces memory in a way that reflected his passion and enjoyment of his time with us. These things will be confirmed in due course. I think the way our small community has responded is testament to what we thought of BJ, and i know he will be sorely missed.

RIP mate.
    Stiffsht, Clevohead, KoAStR and 6 others like this.
  16. Capatown

Capatown Rookie

PSN ID
    capatowned
    Id like to offer my condolences to Brenda and their family. Bruce was a great guy; He was always enthusiastic, friendly and showed great sportsmanship at all times. I had the pleasure of racing against him in Div 6 last season where we had many great battles. In due time I believe he would have become one of the fastest racers as every week he was improving at an exponential rate.

I am truly saddened and I believe the community has lost one of its greatest members.

RIP Bruce.
  17. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Wonderful tribute Anon.
  18. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Here here Anon.
  19. t_b_williams

t_b_williams Tim Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    t_b_williams
    great words Anon, of a great man.
  20. JAKO155

JAKO155 Rookie

PSN ID
    Producer634
    Bruce.
    Although i only know you in the Raceonoz community. You are a awesome,funny and truly competitive. Racing with u every week makes me very happy. But then I only knew the news a few hours ago. RIP Bruce. You are my Raceonoz Hero!