Formula 5000's

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Nathancarhead, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Nathancarhead

Nathancarhead Team Driver

PSN ID
    nathancarhead
    Hi all,
    As some of you may be aware Formula 5000's were a very popular entry level Motorsport category in the late sixties and early seventies in Europe and most of America, and also became a popular Trans-Tasman series in the 80's with many top level Formula 1 drivers at the time taking them for a thrash and often having a lot of success. Unfortunately, the series died in the 80's due to many entry level drivers being outclassed by many higher skill drivers just rocking up and beating them. However, this weekend sees the return of Formula 5000's in a new modern format! Over the last few years Chris Lambden has been working on a new car for a new series. They feature an brand new Australian built Ford 5L V8 engine thats produces roughly 570BHP, with Holinger six speed sequential gearboxes and control dampers, wheels and tyres. The chassis itself is a full monocoque chassis that weighs about 680kg and is fully FIA crash test complaint.

I for one am very excited to see them run this weekend at Barbagallo Raceway (any Perth ROOZer's intereted should head on up to catch these simply amazing cars (and also come and meet me)). The cars will be running all 3 days this weekend. 10:30am and 1:45pm for practice on Friday, as well as a late afternoon quali session at 3:40pm on the Friday. The 5000's will then feature in 2 races each on Saturday and Sunday. 1:10pm and 4:05pm on Saturday (as well as a static display during the lunchbreak on the grid at 12pm on the Saturday, and 11:55am on the Sunday). The Sunday races will be at 1:05pm and 2:35pm.

This weekend at Barbagllo will be one of the first weekends to see the new cars, with the next opportunity to be early November at Sydney Motorsport Park.

More info about these cars can be found at these links:
    http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/03/31/modern-formula-5000-category-launched/
    http://www.motorsport.com/openwheel/news/new-australian-formula-5000-series-launches-683105/

I'm interested to know what everyone's thoughts are on these cars

Cheers,
    Nathan
    Anthonyb, Zachery and KoAStR like this.
  2. its-benny-racer

its-benny-racer Professional Gold Member

Makes me wish I had a spare $240K laying around, plus whatever it would cost to run one for a season or 3.
    Nathancarhead and Zachery like this.