Logitech G25 'sticky' brake pedal

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by garyw61, Sep 29, 2011.

1. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    I think I have a dirty potentiometer in my G25 brake pedal, as the brake is now always on at about 5-10% all the time and it really kills lap times!

Has anybody come across this before, and if so, have a remedy?
  2. mmm_homebrew

mmm_homebrew harry

PSN ID
    mmm_homebrew or GT_BANDIT_POPS

i have a logitec driving force gt and had the same problem. i disassembled the pedal set and checked the resistance through the potentiometer and found that the accelerator and brake readings were similar so further investigation found the pedal stop bracket had to be adjusted [minor bend with a pair of pliers] it has been working fine now for months. [just the user seems to malfunction]
  3. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

I can help you there Fig, i had the same problem a couple of times, the second time just before the big PSN outage and fixed in time to not to be able to test it online lol. The first time it happened i swapped the wires over to the clutch peddle and used it as the break, i didn't use the clutch much and breaks were more important to me then. Several months later it started happening again so i had to pull them apart again. As GT5 has no setting for the dead zone in the breaks, the slightest movement it the break sensor can cause this problem. The problem is the sensor has moved down slightly, you can grab the sensor and feel the movement in it now because of the ware caused over time. I twisted the sensor back up and used a real good (100 mile and hour) tape to wrap around the wire connectors and back over the housing to keep it there. Its been a lot of months now and touch wood its all good. I like the break being a bit further away from the throttle as i left foot break and dont have to hold my legs so close together, bit of breathing space for me bits in the long races is always good.

So its a real easy fix just have to be careful not to pinch the wires putting it back together. Remember it twist the sensor up from the wire connector side and the wires are a good anchor point for your tape and the tape must stick good to the frame to hold it up.
  4. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Cheers guys, will have a fiddle over the weekend.
  5. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Hey Fig i also used a fine art paint brush and CD cleaner fluid to carefully clean in the potentiometers, be careful not to bend the contacts, doesn't take much to make them louse contact but a lot to bend them back again.
  6. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    I took the pedals apart, and there was definitely nothing loose in there, so it must have been just the pots. I sort of suspected this anyway from the way the brake indicator was 'flickering'.

Cleaned all the pots carefully and problem hasn't recurred since.

Thanks for your help guys.
  7. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

They don't appear to be loose at all it is the slightest movement in the pots that causes the problem. If it does happen again as mine did after doing the cleaning just tape the pots up so they cant move up and down during use. They only move a fraction of a mill but thats enough to cause problems.
  8. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Alright, will do. Cheers mate.
  9. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Well, I decided not to stuff around with it anymore. There area lot of screws in the pedal base!

Went and bought a new G27 instead. I am a bit peed off though, didn't realise I would lose the look left/look right buttons on the wheel :(

I will fix up the G25 properly when I get time then offer for sale here.
  10. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

How much you want as is, might be good for parts for mine