VR Getting PlayStationVR Ready ??

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by Crunch, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Hi guys - I'll get straight to the point.

I don't know what I'll need to be able to use:

-T500RS (one USB port)
    -TH8RS (one USB port)
    -PlayStationVR (one USB port)
    -Dualshock4 controller (one USB port - occasionally)

I've been playing DIRT Rally since yesterday, and I have trouble playing it with only two USBs, as a controller is needed at all times to hear the pacenotes loud enough to use (the in-game audio menu does not adequate cater for increased co-driver volume and lowered engine/effects sounds).

I'm getting worried about PSVR, when I'm not 100% sure whether I need more than one USB 3.0 port to use all these concurrently. The T500RS and TH8RS are compatible with USB 2.0 because they work with the PS3, but I couldn't really be certain with the other two hardware on this list.

Finally, I don't have adequate knowledge about splitter hardware anyway - while the T500RS has an external battery pack, the TH8RS doesn't, though I know the resistance in the shifts are done mechanically and not electronically.

I just don't know whether this is adequate to get me ready for VR: http://www.amazon.com/Charger-Contr...ystation-PS4/dp/B00QV3ZC44/?tag=nintlife00-20
    EDIT: Read reviews for this product, and I wouldn't trust it enough to purchase this.

Do I need more than one USB 3.0 port? Will there be enough power to run all these components concurrently from the PS4?

Any help/suggestions/opinions are most welcome, no matter how shallow the knowledge contained within. =)
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  2. fezza

fezza Team Driver

PSN ID
    FeZZa_21
    I'm pretty sure you'll need a powered USB hub when you need more than 2 devices to work/charge at the same time.
  3. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Can you plug the TH8RS into the Tm wheel? If not, is there an adaptor to enable that?

PSVR will come with it's own breakout box which I imagine has the extra ports. A powered USB hub as already mentioned should be fine for charging up your DualShock. I wouldn't use it for the wheel.
  4. beakeroo

beakeroo Professional

PSN ID
    Steam ID: beakeroo iRacing: Frederick Barr
    I have a powered USB hub/stand. It has 3 x USB ports but takes up one of the ports on the PS4 so you end up with 4 altogether.

As for Dualshock charging just buy the official PS4 controller charger. It charges two at a time and and plugs into the mains.

I'm currently running a T500 (USB), a set of Astro A50's (using a USB port), a numeric keypad (USB - used as a button box) a TH8A shifter (using a USB port) so I'll be dropping the keypad when I get PS VR (preordered)

This is very similar to what I got from Target
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/351530015695?_mwBanner=1

I think I paid $10.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Clevohead likes this.
  5. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Getting closer to PSVR release, here's my update:

Purchased a powered USB hub & it didn't work. Whichever peripheral plugged into PS4 worked, with zero working through the hub. Not cool.

As per Ryzza's comment, I researched adapters & here's the crux:

T500 base has limited compatibilities. It's a standalone wheel with 1) pedal, 2) power & 3) USB connection. The TH8RS shifter is also standalone with a 1) USB connection.

I got my T500 base in early 2014 deliberately to last the 8th gen gaming systems. At the time, it was high end. The TX & G29 bases weren't available yet, & neither was the TH8A. The new TX bases can route shifters to the PS4, needing 1 USB port, but the TH8RS does not have such connection. On the other hand, the TH8A has the connection.

Word on the street (web forums) gets very hazy at this point though, as there is so much misinformation out there going uncorrected. One guy I found saying the TH8RS is incompatible with PS4, & the TH8A was released to remedy this. Hogwash. The TH8A was for incompatibility with XBone. My TH8RS works fine these past two years. So does the T500 on PS4.

So here's where I'm at :

If the TH8A can be routed through the T500 on PS4- then I'm VR ready once I get a TH8A.

OR

I found this interesting Reddit about Officially Sanctioned USB hubs. https://www.reddit.com/r/playstationvr/comments/4kdw7u/usbhub_to_come_with_the_playstation_vr/
    You would think it should understand the PS4 infrastructure better than any other USB hub, so that's my alternative choice. I WILL NOT be buying a new wheel base just to use VR. I trust Thrustmaster better than Logitech, but the TX wheels has no clutch. The T500 is still a high end wheel that I cannot replace for at least another 3 years.

---

Thanks for reading.
  6. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    I was in the right place at the right time and found a guy who home-made a PCB that took input from his TH8RS shifter and converted the signal to go out a PS/2 connector into a Fanatec wheel base, tricking it into think it was a Fanatec shifter, thus allowing it to work on PS3 + X360 (and theoretically PS4 if it weren't for the 'security chip' rubbish in PS4 - works fine for pCARS PS4). For $110 he made another adapter for me and a few others.
    Crunch likes this.
  7. Giant slayer

Giant slayer Professional

PSN ID
    GiantSlayer_48
  8. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Crunch likes this.
  9. Randm90

Randm90 Team Driver

PSN ID
    Randm90
    Looking at getting PSVR in Jan-Feb when price lowers a tad; will be getting a USB hub :)
  10. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    I am running a USB hub with zero issues.
    Crunch likes this.
  11. Giant slayer

Giant slayer Professional

PSN ID
    GiantSlayer_48
  12. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    I'm about to purchase this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Playstat...874574?hash=item1ea592b6ce:g:2wgAAOSwAYtWHOMo

This is because I'm not stuffing around, and all of us here already pay through the nose for peripherals, games and even unnecessary things like brake mods. This is a fraction of what my system cost to assemble, and I want to make sure it works, unlike the USB hub that I purchased previously.

-Officially licensed
    -USB 3.0 (just in case - if a USB 2.0 is milliseconds slower, I do not care)
    -Mains power supply

In addition to the UK -> AUS power outlet convertor, it costs $50. A fraction of my $1000 setup, as well as a fraction of the money I waste on poker and McDonald's. :oops: