GT7 Season 2 Division 2

Discussion in 'GTLOZ Past Seasons' started by Hatfield, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Matthyus

Matthyus GTLOZ Results Steward Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I do see your point. Odd that it never really changed the way we all expected it too. As you mentioned, it gives the host a leg up to have a strategy better suited to the conditions they have experienced. Unless we find someone who hasn't practised and get them to host? That way the conditions are really random for everyone.
  2. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    I would say to have in the middle of a race, or somewhere near or before a 'normal' pitstop for that track. That way people will need to think about when to pit or hold out and risk it.
  3. Mirkz2010

Mirkz2010 Rookie

Perhaps a way around this would be for the host to create a brand new lobby (not using saved settings) on the night of.
    Sure it would come down to trust etc (or at worst livestreaming the initial set up for the race), but it might be a way to navigate around it if it's based on the initial set up only.

Agree it would certainly make things more interesting if there was a little more randomness. Means the guys that have the dry lines dialed in have the chance to be really upset if they're not lucky/experienced enough to see the changes?
  4. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I hope this isn’t the case where someone (host or not) can just practice endlessly and predict to perfection what’s going to happen when presented with the settings, isn’t the whole point of random weather is that it is, well, random? Can’t say I’m pleased if this is the case considering (for example) myself and several others had their races destroyed because it decided to completely piss down with one and a bit laps to go. Happy to be proven wrong.

Random weather is a total blast, no doubt about it, last night was one of the most epic and fun races ROOZ has ever held, however it could be improved if it was purely random and unpredictable. Still, it’s a damn sight better than the boring static “wet” races we used to have.
    Steve Neilson and Stew Wilson like this.
  5. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    The completely drenched end to the race is planned as per the weather settings chosen and displayed in the OP.

I also did all my practice in Custom Races, not lobbies, so not sure how that translates. Sunday night was the first time I had opened a lobby with those settings.
  6. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Not really random then is it?

But it is what it is, it’s racing I guess. Perhaps in future a suggestion would be to not have the race finish with a specific rain intensity.
    Dash_Vanguard likes this.
  7. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    Last night had the following settings.
    R08, random, R08, random, R07, random, R08.
    Perhaps it might work better if set to be random within a certain range, ie random weather ranging from fine to wet.
    Steve Neilson and Dash_Vanguard like this.
  8. Steve Neilson

Steve Neilson Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Steve_73_GOOF
    I would imagine random is just that, The r08 and r07 are a given and all in between are what the game decides.
    It may start to dry or continue to rain.
    In most practice lobbys I open I don't drive.
    Just watch.
    I generally don't practice at all o_O
    So my hosting is in no way helpful to me.
    At Red bull I got 1 Quali lap in and then started checking all was in order for a smooth start.
  9. Aiko_Mac

Aiko_Mac Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Aiko_mac
    It’s random to some degree, but because there were 10 laps in the race and 10 custom weather slots it should mean that there are 5 laps with rain and 5 laps of random weather. So you have some idea of what to expect.
  10. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    It was set up to start and finish with heavy rain. It was always going to be heavy rain at these points in the race. We wanted the track to never fully dry out, so every 2nd slot had rain. Other rounds where we've had fully random weather have been completely dry, as there are a lot more dry weather slots compared to wet slots. Something like 30-40 dry to 8 wet.
    Dash_Vanguard likes this.
  11. Bluemoon

Bluemoon Professional Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    X-3vi1m00n
    My take on the weather situation is that there are too many slots for the number of laps. Because there needs to be a transition between each slot, a long period may be dry. I would suggest a weather slot for 2-3 laps.
  12. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    I too did my practice runs in custom races using the above weather patterns and each was different as each time I was starting a fresh session. In one session I got the torrential rain for the first lap, then the rest of the race was clear enough I could risk RMs. The track was damp but drivable on slicks, yet in others like on Sunday (in Div at least).

My statement about lobbies in comparison is that each time a new lobby is created, the weather pattern is randomised at creation, then held in memory such that each "reset" within the lobby, and each race started in that same lobby gets that set weather pattern. To get a new/different weather pattern, you'd need to start a new lobby. I don't think that saving the settings also saves the weather pattern, but I could be mistaken.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  13. Stew Wilson

Stew Wilson Rookie Gold Member

PSN ID
    Stew_Wilson72
    I still find it bizarre, that I probably opened up a lobby 6 times during my week of practice for the race. Each time it seemed to be the same. Pissing down for the most part. where I never considered IMs as an option. Next wet race I'll jump into custom races and see what I get.
    Matthyus likes this.
  14. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
  15. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    1 thing I did notice after watching the D1 stream by @JonoStan96 (thank you btw), is that both D1 and D2's weather ended up being identical.
  16. T F Eccles

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    That's kind of curious, as you'd expect variations between lobbies.
    Stew Wilson likes this.
  17. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    That's what I thought would happen given the random option...
  18. Matthyus

PSN ID
    Johnnoclint
    NOTE that Round 5 is on the 11/9 and is our Enduro round.
    It is stated in the OP that this round starts 30 mins earlier, which will be 8pm AEST Race, with 750pm for Qual.

Also note, Dragon trail doesn't have the rain option available to it.
    Bluemoon and T F Eccles like this.
  19. T F Eccles

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Which means that the random weather will mean a variation of lighting conditions really. Which will affect how you may or may not see your usual brake markers.
    I remember once when we held the sprint round at Seaside with the 2 races at different times-of-day. I'd practiced entirely at the time of the first race and got caught out in the second race coz the lighting was different and meant my turn markers into the chicane'o death were obscured.
    Beats143 likes this.
  20. Beats143

Beats143 Team Driver Gold Member

PSN ID
    Beats143
    That’s deaths way of sucking you in. When you hit the walls in the DC and you’re sitting there with your brain still spinning, you can hear the dead crying out for another chance, knowing now that 212km through there is so hard to repeat without error. 56 laps,56 times or opportunities to cheat the reaper. Let’s Get Some