GT7 Racing Room Guidelines

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sunday Night' started by Viperzed, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Viperzed

Viperzed GT7 League Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    In light of moving to a new game and continuing my role as Head Steward, I'm looking at leaning on a little more of my real life motorsports experience to assist my sim-racing adjudicating. Part of this role includes (in my opinion), putting out fires before they even begin. More than half of incidents on RaceOnOz (in recent memory) are down to one or both parties involved not leaving racing room. I've found that over the years, racing room is an interesting subject that very few have ever drawn a line in the sand for. Until now.

The intention of this thread is to give everyone a clear and absolutely distinguished point as to where racing room is REQUIRED to be given. I encourage EVERYONE to discuss this in the thread below, there are no stupid questionsm or suggestions. These guidelines are taken with reference to some of Australia's biggest and most well known racing categories.

It is the responsibility of the Driver performing the Overtake, the ensure it is done safely and with minimal contact

It is the responsibility of the Driver being Overtaken, to ensure they provide the Overtaking Driver with Racing Room, should it be deserved

If nose to tail contact is made, it is almost ALWAYS the fault of the following Driver, as the responsibility lies with them to not make contact with the Car ahead, irrespective of how early they brake (within reason)

The Driver performing the Overtake is deemed to have completed a Succesful Overtake if they
    -Reach the 'Critical Point' before the turn-in point of the corner in question
    -Maintain full control of their Vehicle (within reason)

On the exit of the Corner, it is the responsibility of the Driver performing the Overtake to ensure they have cleared the Car being Overtaken past the 'Critical Point'

Should the Car being Overtaken still have their Car past the 'Critical Point', the Car performing the Overtake MUST leave racing room on the exit of the corner. This is also known as having 'Sufficient Overlap'

On a straight piece of track, before any braking areas, a Driver is entitled to use the full width of track to Defend their position on their first movement (providing there is ZERO Overlap)

A Driver's second movement may ONLY be made back towards the Racing Line before the turn in point of the corner ahead (providing there is ZERO Overlap)

Should there be Overlap at ANY POINT during a piece of straight track before a braking zone, A full Car width is to be given to the Car with Overlap

A Driver MUST AT ALL TIMES, give racing room to ANY OTHER CAR with Overlap on a straight

Any movement in the braking zone is PROHIBITED

Intentional "take-outs" are strictly prohibited. Intentional "take-outs" will be dealt with harshly by the Stewards.

Drivers that leave the track, forfeit their rights to racing room and must take care re entering the racing circuit as to not impede any cars that have not left the circuit.

It is prohibited for cars to make overtakes where any part of their car passes through a ‘ghosted car’. Adjustments to this rule may be made at Stewards’ discretion depending on the circumstances of the incident in question.

Blue Flags in game are to be followed with common sense. The game will often display blue flags much too early when it is not required that you move over. Please keep in consideration that in corners, Cars within 1.5 seconds will begin to suffer the effects of aero wash and it is at that point that you are required to move over for the lead. This must occur before the end of the next FULL sector on the track, or penalties may be applied by the Stewards. If it is found that the car being shown the blue flags had ample opportunity to move out of the way, Time Penalties may still be handed down.

When serving a time penalty in an in-game ‘penalty zone’ drivers MUST pull off the racing line to serve penalties, especially if there are other drivers nearby on the track. Drivers must not impede any other driver while serving a penalty or getting back up to speed after serving a penalty. Any impeding during the penalty serving process can result in further penalties being applied by the Stewards.

Drivers are to be aware of other drivers around them during a Qualifying session, especially when you ARE NOT on a current Hot Lap. Drivers found to be in breach of a qualifying impediment may be subject to a penalty from the Stewards. Impediments will be judged in a similar manner to the blue flag rule, where drivers subject to dirty air from a car not on a hot lap as opposed to a car behind on a hot lap, will be under scrutiny.

Any incident seen to have broken any of the guidelines stated above, may be protested and the Driver responsible for the breach may be penalised.

Below I have included examples of the 'Critical Point' being judged at the turn-in point on multiple different corners between two cars (Thank you @Randm90 )

Example 1 -
    [​IMG]

The blue line represents the 'Critical Point'. It is the point at which your entire front wheel must be passed prior to the turn in point, for your overtake to be deemed succesful. The red line represents the rear of the front wheel on Car #22. Simply put, the red line must be past the blue line BEFORE the turn-in point of the defending car.
    A reminder that unsuccesful overtakes are expected to be redressed and unredressed incidents are protestable. The photo above has been captured at the very moment of turn-in for Car #56. It is the turn-in point of the defending car that is taken into consideration when judging racing room. Car #22 has cleared that point and therefore is entitled to a cars width of space on the inside of the corner. Should this level of overlap continue, it is also expected that Car #22 give Car #56 a single cars width on the exit of the corner. Should Car #56 continue to turn down on Car #22 and make contact at the apex with Car #22 still ahead of that Critical Point, it will be deemed a racing incident.

Example 2 -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photo above has again been taken at the point of turn-in for Car #56. We see this time Car #22 has not made the critical point and therefore is not entitled to any space on the upcoming corner. Should Car #22 maintain this level of overlap through the corner, any and ALL CONTACT will be the fault of Car #22. At this point, Car #56 (defending car) does not have to give room to Car #22 but may choose to.

Example 3 -
    [​IMG]

The photo above has been captured at the point of turn-in for BOTH cars following a side by side drag race into the braking zone. We see that both cars are past the 'Critical Point' and therefore are entitled to Racing Room on the entry of the corner.

[​IMG]

Here we see the resulting pass that Car #22 completes at the apex. We see clearly that the red line has become the 'Critical Point' on Car #22 and Car #56 is behind that point now on the exit of the corner, meaning that Car #22 is entitled to take the racing line should they so choose to. Car #56 at this point is not entitled to space and is holding the overlap on the outside "at their own peril".
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2024
  2. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    UrsineSaturn9
    Nice! It would be good to have some bumper cam views of the above images so drivers can get an idea of what that overlap looks like from their POV
    Mirkz2010, Peersy and Viperzed like this.
  3. Viperzed

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    Great suggestion, I'll attach some images tonight with a few different views. Obviously these will differ slightly depending on your proximity to the other car, but will be a good indication.
    Peersy likes this.
  4. Hatfield

Hatfield GT7 League & Teams Championship Organiser Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    DRZ-Hatfield
    reminder that the view you use holds no value in defending a guilty position
    eg: it's not my fault, I couldn't see him when I ran him off the road
  5. xlxy90

xlxy90 Professional

PSN ID
    xlxy90
    The same images but using the radar as well could be useful
    CaptainRisky21 likes this.
  6. Viperzed

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    I'd have to re do all of them to include the radar, but will give it a go
  7. MONSTAR

MONSTAR Team Driver

you don’t need to redo the images. You done a pretty good job as it is
    Beats143 and Viperzed like this.
  8. T F Eccles

T F Eccles Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    tfeccles
    Excellent stuff @Viperzed. What constitutes the critical point? Does it vary from car to car?
  9. CaptainRisky21

CaptainRisky21 World Champion Gold Member

PSN ID
    CaptainRisky21
    My understanding is that it is the front of the rear wheel, but clarification from Viper would be good
  10. Viperzed

PSN ID
    Viperzed
    In *most* tin top race cars, it would be this point here, or to put it in words, having the front wheel ahead of the rear wheel. This can vary car to car depending on length, speed and a few other factors.

In real life the critical point is usually the point where the defensive car can see the offensive car in their peripheral vision however as this isn't really a thing in sim racing, I'm using a similar point, but adjusting it depending on the car we use to ensure there is still hard racing!