Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
  2. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

Your phone should never interfere with your ADSL signal if setup correctly. Make sure you have an ADSL filter on every phone line that is plugged in. Not just the one that you connect to the modem.
  3. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    I know what it's 'meant' to do but it dose seem to effect it, I have only 1 phone line so it can't be another phone line effecting it. A mate of mine on PSN is a I.T. guru and he said that Panasonic phones have a reputation for disrupting Internet connections. At the time i did have a Panasonic phone but have since moved on to a uniden elite which has improved the situation but it dose still dropout sometimes when it is plugged in. I find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence that i don't get dropouts when my phone is unplugged from the splitter. the modem is a NETGEAR N300 which is designed for online gaming and it is setup in a DMZ with static IP, Ethernet cable etc so i doubt it is a setup issue. I challenge anyone who experiences dropouts to try my system and see if it works for them.
  4. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Like you said Dusty, definitely need a filter at each terminal that has a device attached.

I found I had to put a separate filter on both the phone line and the modem line, because they are plugged into different terminals (so each filter has only one device connected to it)
    The connection was never dropping out when the phone rang but somehow just having the phone plugged in was disrupting it, even changing the filter across to the other device. When we first got connected this was never an issue, but then out ISP moved their system over to a new network and this problem started. Never had an issue (with the ISP connection) since connecting that other filter to the modem too.
  5. colin-50_

colin-50_ Professional Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    colin-50_
    how can i get rid of my lag
  6. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Probably not the best thread for this Question, but any way.

Here's some tips to improve your connection:

- Limit the number of devices online while playing. If a PC is on and no one is using it, disconnect it (Or turn off).

- Enable UPnP in your connection settings both on the router and PS3.

- If you are not comfortable with UPnP, use Port Forwarding.

- In GT5, go to options, network settings and clear cache.

A google search may help with more information to improve your connection.
  7. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Only way col is to get faster Internet speeds.

Might have to ring around the different providers and see who can get you fastest speeds. I think you said you were on the old adsl, if you can find a provider that has adsl2 you will find a huge difference.

Not sure there is anything else you can do, you've hard wired the ps3, I assume you are clearing the cache and resetting the modem fairly regularly ?

Most of the guys are heaps more knowledgeable about this stuff, so maybe one of them might have a suggestion
  8. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Or what Clevo said !!!!
  9. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    I find sometimes its the PS3 WIFI that's a bit crap.
    my was and now i hardwire an ethernet cable to it from my modem/router. No lags spikes or anything anymore.

sometimes its the modem/router's WIFI range that just isn't picked up well enough for the PS3 internal antenna.
    you can buy WIFI range extenders, access points and even larger antennas (like 5 or 7db gain) as usually standard modems are only 2 or 3 db.
  10. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    yeah beanie, col went from wireless (about 70 feet) to hardwired last month.

Im running wireless again, but i only have about 5 meters from my modem to the PS3 so my reception is pretty good.

I spoke to col today and he said that optus are upping his speed to about 8 Mbps from 1.5.....pretty sure he will be sweet after that...
  11. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    POWER ADAPTOR IS also another good option if you are playing wireless.

Or even an apple airport extreme
  12. stucar17

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    im pretty sure he has gone for the power adapter thing as well.

Thats the one that uses the wiring in the house to transfer data ?
  13. carn_the_pies

carn_the_pies Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Raceonoz_Carn
    Correct, that should help.
  14. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    yeah that's PoE (Power over Ethernet) - i've always been sceptical of this tech, but it seems to work okay so i can't bag it coz i've never used it.

my modem is less than 5meters from my PS3 and WIFI is crap, however at my mums place (before i bought a house), i had a modem with an external router with a larger antenna (5db) and the PS3 in the shed out the back (a good 30meters away) and was better than what i have now which is a inbuilt wifi modem/router - no facility to put an external antenna on this modem, so i've just hard wired the bugger and it's working so :)
  15. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Hi guys, I know a few people have been dealing with connection issues , I know I have. Found me a nice application (DNS Benchmark) to test a number of different DNS servers, very simple and easy to use. It will tell you the best DNS servers to use so you can configure them in your router. You can download it from www.grc.com/DNS/benchmark.htm
    Might help diminish lag issues and server unavailability.
  16. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Somrthing extra i've noticed is that the times i have had D/C's,that the ps3 is registering a - as the NAT type. Pretty well eliminated all problems by reseting the connection settings each time and doing same as Cyberstig's post after that. :D
  17. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    Check your ping time. You can have download speeds of a billion Mbps,but if your ping time is 235 ms, you'll have lag. These are Extreme figures just to make the point. If your connection is stable,try changing the profile to "low latency",however if your connection has stability issues normally,this will increase. Low Latency takes out most of the error checking to speed things up,and is really only an option if you are within 2.5km of your local exchange.

If you are using Mobile Broadband,then all you can do is get a high speed dongle(21Mbps),with a powered external aerial. If you can get maximum possible reception,e.g. 5 bars on Vodafone,you can virtually eliminate d/c's,as they occur when the MBB tries to shift from the band it is currently using to the other if it has a stronger signal. If you're on 5 bars it won't try to move at all. You will have problems between 4pm & 8-9pm,as everyone does their facebook ,twitter,etc on their way home from work,after school,etc.

If you are close enough to a tower you'll find it works well,but if you are gatewaying through your computer,be sure to turn off all update features,etc,that may interfere. It's not ideal,but i used a setup like this for 18 mths,(no adsl available at house was renting) and generally all went well,but mics can only be used in smaller rooms,like less than 10 players.

I have a video's of speed tests, one showing 10,831 Kbps Download,4576 Kbps Upload,with a ping of 20ms, which my ADSL2+ connection is yet to beat! except for on ping,which i get 10-15ms,depending on the day!

Bottom line though is that Sony's position is "we do not support MBB",but it does work if you spend that little bit of money. Don't even waste your time with the base model dongle modems or pocket wi-fi's :)
  18. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    These are ways that i personally have found work well,and part is a repeat of Cyberstig's post

1.If you are being forced to use Mobile Broadband,(Not officially supported by PSN or recommended by me,but i know there are situations that can make ADSL impossible,i've been there), you can obtain a stable connection by doing the following,
    1.Obtain a Hi-Speed Dongle,21Mbps rated with an external antenna port.
    2.Obtain an aerial. If you are within 500m of a relay tower you can use a powerless one,but i recommend using a powered one,as it makes up for the length of cable used to get it outdoors. With a powerless one they normally have a magnetic base,which if you sand the paint off of the underside,(just enough for the base of the aerial to get a clean connection) your gutter becomes a BIG aerial,but still point it at the tower Using a powered one only requires pointing it at the tower.
    3.Connect your PS3 to your computer by ethernet cable,and enable internet sharing.
    4.Shutdown as many programmes as possible on your PC or laptop,especially Automatic updating.
    5.Use your IP's Connection page to adjust the aerial to have maximum reception,typically 5 bars.This is key as most d/c's while using MBB are caused by bandshift,e.g. On Vodafone they use 850Mhz(900 in some areas) on their new 3G network,but if the signal is better on their 2100Mhz band it will shift automatically,causing immediate D/C. If you can get Maximum reception on one band it eliminates the need to shift bands.
    6.You will still suffer occasional D/C's,but you will find they mostly occur during Peak Hours,i.e. 4pm-8pm
    7.Lag will only be an issue in rooms hosted by europeans. When i had to use MBB,(Mid 2010 to late 2012) I worked all this out by trial and error,& eventually got a stable connection with a Ping of 22m/s and download speed 10Mbps and upload 4.5Mbps,more than adequate,but will not handle large rooms & Mic at same time,only up to about 6 people with a mic,but in general i recommend no chat.
    8.Turn off your firewalls & antivirus. As you are basically only using your PC as a router,you don't need them on,but disable remote & wireless connection functions
    9. Set your PS3 network settings using the Easy mode.
    10. Don't waste your time with Pocket Wi-Fi's or similar,they get too hot if you have them plugged in,and only last an hour at best on battery mode.
    11.Use a fan to cool the USB dongle if it is getting hot,Overheating=Lag

Now to the PS3 side of things.Even with ADSL2+ Broadband you can still have D/C issues other than the PSN inflicted ones. Call your IP and find out how far you are from the exchange.If you are more than 5km from it DO NOT use the Low Latency profile,go for the most stable profile and ask your IP to sacrifice some of your download speed to raise your upload speed. Use Ethernet connection to your Router,not wireless,a lot of other household appliances cause interference,e.g.,i can turn my PS3 on with my Senzu 3DTV remote with the blue teletext button!
    The quality of your router makes a huge difference,especially if there are multiple users. A$100 Netcomm,Netgear,Belkin,etc say they handle multiple devices,and they do but at a severely reduced speed.

As Cyberstig suggested using a particular start up procedure makes a Big difference. Every time i have had issues since getting ADSL2+, i've found that the PS3 has inexplicably lost the NAT type and was displaying a - instead of 1,2 or 3, so here's Cyber's solution mixed with mine.

1.Reset your router
    2.Turn on PS3
    3.Re-scan your network settings
    4.Load GT5
    5.Clear cache
    6.Enjoy D/C free racing!!!!

The only times i've been D/C'd since adopting this startup procedure is a total of 3 since February,One due to a power brownout,One because the entire room crashed,and one fair dinkum one,which really adds up to One D/C in 5 months,so i can Testify to Cyber's Procedure.

If anyone has more questions about the MBB connection part feel free to message me
    stucar17 and Cyber_STIG_77 like this.
  19. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    In the last few weeks I've been running in big rooms there has been plenty of problems with guys not being able to connect and the usual d/c's. This is something that usually plagues newbie's, but everyone has it. Just thought I'd put up some old posts related to this, and please feel free to throw in some more info that I've missed. Happy d/c-free racing!!

Things to do:

Use a wired connection - wifi is rubbish.
    Reset router before turning on PS3. Disconnect/Turn off all other unnecessary devices from the network (PC, phones, tablets, etc).
    Use a static IP for your PS3, and put that IP in your modems DMZ. Port forwarding on the IP wouldn't hurt either.
    Clear GT6 cache each time you load the game.
    Check you internet speed and contact your ISP if it is rubbish.
    Don't use Turbo's ISP or modem, cause it's :):):):)e.
    Blindman, stucar17 and Stumbles like this.
  20. CobMcCool

CobMcCool Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    CobMcCool
    Hey check this out, might help,
    The 'Race Quality' option is available in-game to the person hosting the lobby. For personal lobbies it is set in your lobby options, and for public lobbies it is selected when the lobby is created. It's function is to determine how often data is sent between the players connected to a lobby. If a player cannot keep up with the rate of data transmission then they may experience lag, they may appear to lag to others, they may cause lag for others, and they may get disconnected from the lobby.

To help those on slower connections the host can set the 'Race Quality' to either 'low' or 'very low'. That way the data transmission rate should be easier to keep up with resulting in less lag and less disconnections. Note that lowering this setting will not necessarily affect the visual smoothness of racing for those that have no lag/connection issues. I've run two events this week, one on 'very low' and the other on 'very high', and there were no visual differences in the movement of the cars.

The voice chat feature also has various quality options as well as the ability to disable it entirely. Voice chat requires bandwidth, so you can obviously help those on slower connections by reducing the quality or turning it off.

Worth a try
    JonoStan96 and Stumbles like this.