Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
  2. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Mmmm that's what I have! ISP gave it for free after they couldn't get my netgear to connect. Needs a reboot now and then but have not had disconnects or lag as far as I'm aware.
  3. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    So I'm getting that it is a recommended router?! I will have a look and hopefully have one for the round after the sprints.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  4. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    All good Ad,it's not your fault,Failstra should supply decent equipment.They wonder why their share price is :):):):),lol
    Ad2mny likes this.
  5. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
  6. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    The W8980 is the one I am using - and love it....but I don't think it will improve your connection anymore than the W8960 (it will only give you more/better wireless options, as it is a dual band unit (runs at both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time), plus may have some extra functions over the 8960.
    If you don't need all this stuff then personally I'd go the 8960 and save the money. The newer version of the 8960 (v4 I believe) which is the curved dark blue looking one, not the rectangular white one (which is v1 and apparently is known for having issues), is using a Broadcom chipset, reputed to be great chipsets for people who live some distance from their exchange and have bad connections/lines. Trendchip chipsets (which is what's used in the 8980) are known to be better for shorter, better quality lines - but in the end I don't think it makes that much difference.
    I was previously using a Billion router (with Broadcom chipset) and I decided to change to the 8980, even though it had a Trendchip chipset and I have noticed very little difference.....and I am about 4.5km from the exchange and have crap line quality - yet have very few issues, so whilst this information is general I wouldn't read it as gospel. Just my opinion.

And from your link on eBay they were selling for like $54.
    PCCaseGear areselling them (new) for $49
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_1439&products_id=12723

Dave
    Ad2mny likes this.
  7. Stumbles

Stumbles Dave - Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Stumbles01
    Also, the 8980 can be found at MSY for $95... Thats the one I'm looking at getting.
    As Doogz said, if you don't need all the extra bells'n'whistles, then just get the 8960
  8. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    I have the 8950 and don't have lag issues. Can help you set up DMZ and all that crap if you need to.
    Ad2mny likes this.
  9. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    I'm thinking the more expensive one so the missus can use her stinking iPad at same time. It's a sore point in our household. Or is it not gonna help?
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  10. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Yep I'll hold you to that.
  11. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    I don't think it will make much difference to your issue.
    It'll help in the sense that you can wirelessly stream from the PS3 on the 2.4Ghz band and the iPad will be able to use the 5Ghz band, so the wireless network traffic is kept seperated, but they're both still sharing your internet connection which is the problem (not your local network), so it will of course continue to affect you when on the PS3 - even when you're connected via LAN cable.

What is likely to help more is the different chipset in the modem/router you buy (compared to your current router), and also having it configured correctly.
    Ad2mny likes this.
  12. garyw61

garyw61 Gary Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    I plan on picking a Netgear WNDR3800 up from MSY this afternoon. Hopefully bridging my piece of crap Telstra modem/router to this will fix my recent lag issues.
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  13. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Why wouldn't you just use the Netgear one? Am I missing something? Why piggy back them?
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  14. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Professional

PSN ID
    ranok3n
    The Netgear isn't a modem, so you still need the modem to do the dialing.
  15. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Unfortunately it is Telstra's cable network, so you are forced to use their modem to connect to it. I am hoping that it is the routing side of their unit that is causing my issues, so I am bridging it to a better router.
  16. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    What a rip. Bastards. You can't even use like what I'm looking at? I'm sure it says it's cable compatible? Or is that just to bridge it? I used to be up with this stuff honest!
  17. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    No, it has to be a Telstra Modem or modem router with their firmware on it. :(
  18. Ad2mny

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
    Ok so after properly going over the specs, the more expensive router was only better at wifi, which I'm not using for the ps3 anyway, so went for the cheaper option. I got it through eBay because it was free postage and has better options for complaints if needed. $45 to my door. Won't get it till next week but hopefully it will finally sort out my issues. Cheers for all the help guys.
    Stumbles, DoogleDave and S_CLOSE like this.
  19. garyw61

PSN ID
    gazzas_here
    Appears that I am all good again now after bridging the new router with the cable modem. :)

Apparently Telstra has really crippled the router side of this modem/router with their crappy firmware. It was causing my lag issues, as well as webpage lock-ups, not being able to access certain websites at all, and piss-por wireless signal.

For anyone looking for a good router, I can highly recommend the Netgear WNDR3800. It was easy to set up, has great wireless range, and can also be used as a media server and wireless print server. I picked it up from MSY for $74, but I see they have gone back up to $99 now.

Thanks everyone for their help/suggestions.
    S_CLOSE and DoogleDave like this.
  20. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    One down two to go...
    Gary
    N64
    Ad2mny