Network Lag Network Issue Help/Solutions

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by KoAStR, May 31, 2012.

1. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    I doubt they gave you a static IP Jono, just select NO, or I dont know...
  2. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    The static IP that Dek etc are talking about on the forum is between the PS3 and your router - NOT between the router and your ISP....
    DekGT5mad likes this.
  3. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to this stuff...
    I hit no/I don't know and I get this
    image.jpg I had already put the old one in and it didn't work.
  4. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Have you logged into the router or just put the CD into your computer (the CD that came with the router)?
  5. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    It didn't come with a CD. I'm in the genie but I literally have no idea what I'm doing. image.jpg
  6. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    I'll send you a PM...
    JonoStan96 likes this.
  7. JonoStan96

PSN ID
  8. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    you have to enter your PPPOe or ISP provider details first
  9. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    He's been trying that Dek, doesn't want to initiate the connection.
    I've just got Jono to reconnect his Telstra router to double check what all the settings are, then check them off against what has been set on the new netgear router...
  10. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    tried both PPPoE and PPPoA, changed the VCI to 8, VPI to 35, added username and password, set all DNS to auto from ISP....tries but doesnt connect - not sure why.
    ADSL light is green, Internet light is red
  11. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Before I'm plugging the netgear in, I'm just trying to find the subnet mask, ensapulation and all that other BS
  12. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    We got it, thank goodness. I couldn't have done it without Doogs, so for me he's an automatic entry to the ROC haha
  13. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    How to change NAT & What is it?

NAT stands for Network Address Translation, and the NAT settings define how a PS3 system connects to and communicates with PlayStation Network and other players online. When connecting a PS3 system to a local area network and performing an Internet connection test, the current NAT setting (usually NAT 1, NAT 2 or NAT 3) will be displayed on-screen.

To check the current NAT settings at any other time, access the XMB Menu and choose Settings > [Network Settings] > [Settings and Connection Status List]. A list of settings will be displayed; the current NAT setting will be displayed at the end of the list.

None of the different NAT settings will prevent you from connecting to the network, but each has a different impact on the network connection available to you.

NAT 1: this NAT setting (often referred to as a ‘strict’ setting) is normally associated with connections with static IP addresses. NAT 1 will limit both the connection to the game and the communication between the PS3 system and the online servers, and may result in limited access to online functionality.

NAT 2: this is the most common NAT setting and should allow for a seamless connection to PlayStation Network.

NAT 3: this NAT setting will enable connection to the game but may block in-game communication or connection to some online servers. You may be able to circumvent these restrictions by opening ports on your router related to in-game communication (Port: UDP: 3658) and connection to PlayStation Network (TCP: 80, TCP 443, TCP 5223 and UDP: 3478 to UDP 3479:10070-10080 to UDP)

If your PS3 system connects to the network via NAT-1 or NAT-3 and the restrictions are adversely affecting your online experience, contact your Internet service provider for information on how to adjust your NAT settings.

If the problem persists, visit eu.playstation.com/contact to contact Customer Support

How to get Nat1 connection.....easy....
    Options

4 Replies 3,591 Views Created 30-01-2009
    Ive had my ps3 connected to a wireless router ( wired ) and when i would run a internet connection test on my ps3 i would get Upnp not available and Nat3... Obviously Nat3 u dont want as it was giving me trouble with lots of online games, no matter what i tried ( Setting a static ip adress and opening ports ) with no luck in getting a lower NAT , but last week i found an easy diffrent way to get Nat1 , all i had to do was set up new internet connection settings on ps3, this is how

1. Internet connection settions

2. Custom

3. Wired or Wireless (WIRED will give you NAT1 when completed,WIRELESS will only attain NAT2)

4. Auto Detect

5. Ip address settings ( this is how to get Nat 1, by choosing PPPoe you can connect the ps3 Directly to the internet ) so just go down and choose PPPoe

6. You will need your username and password that you got from your ISP ( ENTER THESE TO CONTINUE )

u can set all the rest of the settings to automatic and this should give you Nat1...You connect your PS3 to the phone jack direct with a RJ-46 to ethernet lead,(only you will be able to use the internet while connected like this),use a non-modem router to bridge the PS3 to the phone jack.You can also delete the PPPOe username & password in your modem/router,but you may have to establish a rule,protocol or path for the PS3 to gateway through the modem section section of your modem/router.
    Essentially,the best NAT type is NAT2 for racing,but NAT1 is better for MW3 type online gaming.You may need to register your ps3 on your router with 2 or more static IP.s & with one set for GT6 with DMZ & PF,one with Static IP & UP&P enabled & one with static IP & DMZ & UP&P, & change your PS3 Internet Connection Settings to match when necessary for different games.
    Summary
    If you want to run an unfixed lobby,you will only be able to with NAT2.
    For a Fixed lobby you should use NAT1.
    If you are NAT3,you will not be able to join unfixed lobbies or host very successfully.You must setup the DMZ & PortForwarding to attain a NAT2

Cheers Derek
  14. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Good post Dek, however I'm not sure how many of us can get away with being the sole user of the internet through our PS3....I know if I told the family I'm just starting a race so you won't have access to the internet until I'm finished, my online race career would end there! LOL

Technically NAT 1 is the best but from what I have read the overheads in using a NAT 2 connection are so minimal that it really shouldn't have that much affect on gameplay with the advantage of connecting through a router and using NAT 2 being that the internet use can continue to be shared (but I am no networking expert).

Also from what I can gather, running both DMZ and Port Forwarding rules is counter-intuitive - you should only need to do one or the other (providing a static IP address has been set on the PS3 and router).

Manually forwarding ports to a specific IP address on your network is the most secure way but the easiest would be to just run a DMZ to that same IP address, which forwards ALL ports automatically to that IP address, effectively doing the same thing (and would also help when playing other online games, which may use different ports to GT6).

Here is an interesting link worth reading (even though it is on a Call of Duty forum), it still should be relevant:
    https://community.callofduty.com/thread/100391969

In my mind, a NAT 2 connection is sufficient and as long as the user is running a static IP and potentially a DMZ they should be minimising themselves to issues whilst still allowing others in the house to access the net (which is likely an important consideration for many), and short of other users in the house streaming video or torrenting, checking Facebook or Googling shouldn't affect online gameplay too much ( dependant of course on the many varying things that make up a person's internet connection).

The biggest hurdle to overcome is still the PSN and its glitches (along with your line speed & latency to/from the PSN servers) - which depending on the quality of the physical line to your house and the distance the line travels from the exchange (for ADSL connections), nothing you can do can improve that significantly.
  15. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    You still have issues with not being able to see/hear some people some of the time on these stupid POS Failstra routers,lol
    GT6 due to the nature of sim racing being on a track & timed,it can really be affected.The purpose was really to give people the ability to move there NAT for different lobbies,fixed/unfixed,situations,and understanding why it happens.If people don't want to optimise things i can't make them,lolol!!!
    It's ridiculously hard to explain cause of all the angles of effect,lol
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    Peter Wise and DoogleDave like this.