PlayStation New DVD drive in PS3, anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by stucar17, Aug 15, 2013.

1. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Hey guys.......
    About to get into things again and it looks like the drive in the PS3 has :):):):) its self. :mad:
    For about 6 months when i put a game in the drive takes about 20 secs to load, sounds like it does a "half" eject, then either loads the game, or doesnt, is a lottery.......Last night i tried about 10 times and it wouldnt work at all.
    Has anyone swapped over the drive and can a tech useless goose like me do it ?

Had a quick look on the net last night and they make it sound easy, i think i can get a new drive for about $70 US.
    Any help or advice greatly appreciated, or might be a case of being out till i buy a new console, something dont really want to do with PS4 just around the corner
    Stu
  2. Ad2mny

Ad2mny Absentee Moderator / PS5 ACC Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Ad2mny
  3. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Didn't E replace his drive at some stage?
  4. Neishy

Neishy Rookie

PSN ID
    NOS_neishy4a-gte
    Yeh and he screwed some ribbon connectors in the process, I pulled my slim PS3 apart and it was easy to get to the blueray, hardest thing was getting around the tamper proof torx screws, I just cracked them with a small flathead screwdriver lightly tapped with a hammer.
  5. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Lol, I just love it when a small technology repair has the word "hammer" somewhere in the sentence :p
    Ad2mny likes this.
  6. DekGT5mad

DekGT5mad Derek Nickels

PSN ID
    Dbn26
    On the 120,160 & 320GB slimline models,the hard drive is located behind the cover plate underneath the disc slot.It has Various logo's on it like Blu-Ray,DVDVideo,HDMI,Dolby & DTS,etc. Make sure you have drained any residual current in the PS3,by pressing the On/Off button,after disconnecting the power and waiting for the LED to go out. Then remove the cover with a small flathead screwdriver,unclip the drive and gently pull it out of the recess and off the pin plug. Replacement is the reverse of what you just did,and you just saved being charged $100 buks for someone to do it!
  7. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Tamper proof torx screw set from Bunnings is about $20 and worth having.
  8. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Thanks Ad, am getting on it today. Want to get back into it asap, probably safer than me trying to do it. Will let you know what they say
  9. Neishy

Neishy Rookie

PSN ID
    NOS_neishy4a-gte
    Bah, hammer all the way.