VR Nifty Rifties - VR Tips & Tricks for AC

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by krunch, Oct 18, 2016.

1. krunch

krunch ACC Server Legend Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

Hey all. Welcome to the VR tips and tricks thread. I thought I'd start this up so we can all share tips & tricks for racing AC in VR. This can be with the Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and any others that pop up. Even if you don't currently have a VR headset there may still be useful ideas here so feel free to read on.

Steps to setup AC for VR
    Here is a good guide to getting started with AC and Oculus Rift:
    http://www.riftracer.co.uk/guides/assetto-corsa-oculus-rift-setup/
    NOTE: if you've set your audio up using VoiceMeeter (see below) then you should leave “AUTOSELECT_RIFT_AUDIO_DEVICE=0”
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    c4rLo5 and Rolz like this.
  2. Rolz

Rolz ACC Nutter Team Raceonoz Gold Member

Hi krunch,
    I have the Oculus Rift, and tips and trick that you have already worked out?
    What are the basic apps you are running in AC?
    I've been missing tire wear and delta's since moving to VR... I'm hoping that a new app I found "Sidekick" will supply this for me.
    Have you noticed that ptracker seems to open on setup when in pits?
    krunch likes this.
  3. krunch

Streamline your audio
    I'd been looking for a way to align all my audio so that I could get Rift audio through it's earphones AS WELL AS through my speakers & Logitech headset. I wanted it so I could use use my seat shakers with Oculus Rift apps plus have VOIP work through both headsets at the same time. I found the solution in free software (donationware) called VoiceMeeter Banana. At first it looks a bit daunting but the following Reddit post is very helpful for setting it up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4gfdnf/voicemeeter_and_rift_writeup/

It works a treat :). The other cool thing is onlookers can hear the rift audio through the speakers while someone is having a go in the Rift. I set mine up slightly differently to the above but only because I didn't bother separating my speakers from my Logitech headset (see pics below). I also saved two configurations so that I could easily switch between a pure simvibe setup with no audio sent to the shakers and an audio shaker mode with audio routed to my shakers through the 3rd hardware out.

NOTE: Don't forget to set your Oculus device's VR Audio input and output to Windows default (in Oculus Home settings).

My Windows Playback & Recording Devices:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

My SimVibe Mode:
    [​IMG]
    My Audio Shaker Mode:
    [​IMG]

I have an extra sound card for Simvibe so my shakers are attached to that. VoiceMeeter Banana allowed me to route the audio to that card and to also EQ it to only pass lower frequencies to the shakers. perfect for non SimVibe software and games (such as Oculus apps).
  4. Rolz

Nince writeup krunch, I haven't tested my bass transduceres yet with the rift, but there is no reason why SimCommander wouldn't work with it...
    Out of interest why would you want to run the sound out of both the oculus and and logitec speakers?
  5. krunch

I haven't had any probs running any apps. The built-in tyres app and the delta app work fine for me. Also haven't noticed ptracker being a prob but I'll have another look next time I'm in.

The issues I do have are:
    - launcher menu system is not in VR
    - no virtual mirror
    - driver names can't be used as they just zip all over the interface surface and nowhere near the owner's car
    - the interface surface is positioned way too high and too close so can't see flags and fuel warnings up in the corner and I can't put apps down lower than the wheel
    - when first joining a server I get dropped into a random car with no interface showing - have to hit CTRL + Numpad 2 to return to my own car
    - the default post processing effect preset isn't optimised for VR and causes the exposure to go bright and dark when you look up or down - see the Natural Graphics mod info in the setup guide in the first post to fix this.

Thanks. Yes SimVibe (SimCommander) works fine with AC whether or not you use VR headset. The reason I want the sound out of multiple devices is so that I can take the Rift off in the AC menus, put my normal headset on and still talk to you guys in Discord :). And also as I mentioned I can run the audio through the speakers so others can hear the Rift, AND I can run the audio through my shakers for non SimVibe games and apps. The Rift has USB audio so there is no way to output it's audio to an analogue output without a software solution. So when I run Dreamdeck for example I can have the seat shake the :):):):) out of me when the dinosaur comes stomping up :).
    Rolz likes this.
  6. Rolz

cool thanks for the info!! :)

- launcher menu system is not in VR, yeah if they had the same thing as LFS then that would be great! :)
    - no virtual mirror, hmm never used when I had 3 screens, but good to know it's not me if I need to turn it on.
    - driver names can't be used as they just zip all over the interface surface and nowhere near the owner's car, ok cool good to know!
    - the interface surface is positioned way too high and too close so can't see flags and fuel warnings up in the corner and I can't put apps down lower than the wheel, yes agreed
    - when first joining a server I get dropped into a random car with no interface showing - have to hit CTRL + Numpad 2 to return to my own car, oh good to know! I had this happen last night and needed to alt-f4 out and try again :eek:
    - the default post processing effect preset isn't optimised for VR and causes the exposure to go bright and dark when you look up or down - see the Natural Graphics mod info in the setup guide in the first post to fix this. yes found the exact article whislt I was waiting for the rift software to download :D

I can only use my bass transducers when the wife is out as my room is above the living room and all the light fittings shake and make a racket when on :roflmao:
    krunch likes this.
  7. krunch

Hey Rolz, where did you get your Rift from? I bought mine through Amazon which cost about A$870 inc shipping. It should have arrived within 3 weeks but it took a month as the courier lost the first one. Amazon sent out another with their fastest shipping which only took another week.
  8. Rolz

Yeah I got mine on Amazon as well for that much... I think I followed ur lead in another post... I had been trying to eBay in AUS, but why spend 780-800bucks when I could go brand new for 870! :D

Yeah Amazon was crazy fast for me! I ordered the 3rd of Oct and was delivered the 11th!! Initially they said the 20th of Oct, but when I checked my tracking it was sitting at work for 5 days whilst I was on holidays... I could have been playing on it sooner!! :p
  9. Driftoz

Driftoz Team Driver Gold Member

10. krunch

Good call Drfit. I've been using RHM for the head motion tweaks as it was part of that AC setup guide but I actually haven't tried the other look tweaks.
  11. Driftoz

after playing with it theres still no look behind but the 90* look over shoulder pretty much allows you to look behind either out drivers window or the rear window still better than nothing
  12. Rolz

After a week now of having the rift and busting out a few hours on it I think I'm starting to get the feel of it... :)
    I certainly think that I'm able to drive heaps closer to opponents because the are "just there", also the apex's I seem to be hitting sweeter... I think after a few more weeks I'll be confident I'll be able to drive faster :D
    Not sure about pressing buttons to change view as it would mess with my head too much. :confused:
    The great thing is that it feels like I have an actual helmet on and the view restrictions one has with them... still I do rely on helicorsa heaps and would be at a loss with out it.:thumbsup:
  13. Driftoz

yeah helicorsa is a #1 must for anyone racing online. i doubt im driving any faster but deff having more fun
    Rolz likes this.
  14. Driftoz

15. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    krunch likes this.
  16. Rolz

Hey VR Crew!
    I've noticed something recently and was wondering if you guys are noticing it as well.
    When I run a non VR game I get normal overclock reading on my video card.
    Core clock is running at 1418Mhz
    [​IMG]

This is in AC in game, only get the stock 1139Mhz
    [​IMG]

Anyone else overclock their video card and notice this?
    When I have 24 ppl on track my FPS is about 45-55fps so it's a bit of a concern if we get to 30+ if we use ORSW tracks eventually.

There are are few forum posts on it with the new GTX1080, but no solid answers other than reverting back to older drivers.
    I've tried this and no joy.

Cheers :)
  17. Driftoz

havent looked at oc speeds while playing will check it out.
    one thing ive noticed is that my OC speeds are allways on max when oculus app is open without any games or anything else running.

Edit nope my cpu mhz stays at clocked speeds when running AC on gtx1080 too
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  18. Rolz

another thing that I've noticed too
    How many onscreen apps do you guys run? I noticed the more I have the more it impacts my FPS. if I have none i'm easy on 90-100fps with no cars, down to about 70fps with 24 AI. When I have all my fav apps I'm about 40fps with about 24cars. If I fullscreen ptracker to check lap times out it just kills AC - down to 15fps!! :eek:
  19. Driftoz

im runing essentials app, ptracker, helicoaser and render stats
  20. Rolz

I've moved from essentials to sidekick, but will kill RSR and admin tools i think