Display PC Triple Screen Setup

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by OuttaAngst, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

I can run everything on full and still get 100 fps, but i do run the crowds and far terrain low cos i just don't need it and for temp reasons. I have had the odd shut down but not sure that was due to the graphics card, every time it happed i had my SSD at less than 25 gig spare when i had fraps clips saved there for editing and since i haven't been doing the vids i have not had one shut down. Been hot here too and all good touch wood.
    I turned the Shadders off for the extra bits like dirty wind screen and getting 200fps when i turn cap frames off, so frames is no probs just have to make sure your box has a half decent cooling efficiency set up.

PC Casegear have screens on special a bit, i got my first scrren 23.5" Asus for $180 I think and bought my second Asus and a BenQ gaming for $179 and $220 i think. Love the triples, good for my tired old low resolution eyes.
  2. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Cool thanks fellas. Guess I'll just stick to the one existing card for now and see how it goes.
  3. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    My card is a 6950 and it goes good with triple screens. Cant see why you'd have a drama with your 6970.
  4. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    I'm so used to the 42" single screen, I think 24" will feel too small, even with triple screens. So been looking at 27" options. (looked at both at my local store NetPlus)

LG 27" E2750V - $289. I got them to measure the bezel on this and it's ~20mm.
    There's also this one which looks like it's got a much smaller bezel, but it's quite a bit more at $399.

Looking at this article it seems that 20mm bezel is pretty typical for 27" monitors.

Netplus doesn't have the mini-DP-DVI adaptors in stock and their list price is $99, so I probably order those from PC case gear (at half the price) with some extra DVI cables.
    Other than that it's good to be able to buy the gear from an actual store, and their monitor prices seem pretty competitive when you factor in shipping for odering elsewhere online.

Any other suggestions?
  5. Bonus 888

Bonus 888 Rookie

Matte Black bezels if you can, the shiny Gloss is a bit distracting, i got a 120Hz BenQ designed for gaming with the matte black bezel in the middle and Asus for the sides. You can overlap the side screens in behind your middle screen to reduce Bezel compensation, so look at the back sides to see if they are flat ( my benQ has a bulgey bit on the left side that means my side screen is out a little).
    I went from a lrge screen Tv to the 24.5" tripple monitors no probs, they are a lot closer and clearer and kill the TV, but if you can get 27's they be better than ya Tv by far.
  6. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Mmmm thanks for the tips Bones. With that in mind, maybe I could go the more expensive small bezel screen in the middle overlapping with two cheaper ones on the outside. Cheers.
  7. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

8. T_Vue

T_Vue Rookie

PSN ID
    T_Vue
    Hi guys.
    Need some advice re: triple monitor setup.
    Planning to buy two 21.5-inch monitors and connecting via DVI-D.
    Graphics card is a Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Overclocked.
    It runs AC (single player—time attack, hot lapping, etc) at max settings on single screen at ~50 FPS.
    Will it run modern racing games (particularly Assetto Corsa, F1 games, maybe Project CARS and adventure/action games like Arkham City/Akrham Knight and GTA V) across three screens in high to max settings at a minimum of 30–40 FPS?
    In other words, how much of an impact do two additional two monitors have on a single graphics card?
    Other key specs:
    • ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
    • AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 6-Core CPU
    • 8GB of RAM
    • Thermaltake SMART 550W 80Plus Bronze Power Supply
    Thanks guys.
  9. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    I think you'd want to be hitting over 75FPS single screen before moving to triple screen. The way I see it you have 3 possible options:

1. Go triple screens and reduce game quality settings
    2. Go triple screens but purchase a second identical graphics card to increase performance
    3. Consider waiting for the Oculus Rift consumer version instead of going triple screens. Perhaps buy a Track-IR in the meantime as a workaround. Or simply play with various FOV settings.

What concerns me is that your benchmark 50FPS is recorded using an older DX9 rendering engine with no AI, crowds, weather, etc. Race against 40 AI in a thunderstorm past a busy grandstand in Project CARS and that 'might' have a bit of an impact.
    T_Vue likes this.
  10. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    I'm not sure if anyone can tell you for sure the exact impact it will have unless they are running a very similar build.. Triple screen isn't the issue it's the resolution you run that makes the difference.. Something like 5760 x 1080 is a huge resolution to compute for... And as Ryzza says it depends on the AI and other things on screen that need to be worked out is what needs all the power. And large resolutions like that often need more video memory....like the 4GB cards - and two 2GB cards doesn't necessarily equal the same as a 4GB card (from the little I have read anyway).

I'd do plenty of research before going further IMHO.

I have an old Q8400 quad 2.6Ghz CPU running with a GTX750Ti 2B OC card and in AC in practice (on pretty much Ultra settings except for AA I can hit the 60-70 fps mark....but thats on one screen at 1920x1080. But during a race on a modded track in a modded car with 5 cars on track I have seen the fps drop to high 20's-low 30's in certain spots around that specific track, so it is all a big variable in reality - there isn't a constant (accurate) measure you can really go by as far as I can tell.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    T_Vue likes this.
  11. T_Vue

T_Vue Rookie

PSN ID
    T_Vue
    Thanks mate.

I think I may get the two extra monitors and see the impact using a single card first playing AC. May eventually opt for option 2. I want 3 screens also for work/multi-tasking purposes as well. Thought about the Rift but I can get simulation sickness very easily (I stay away from first-person games, which sucks really cos I'm missing out on games like BioShock) so it's probably the last option I'm considering.
    DoogleDave likes this.
  12. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    Has anybody had issues with CCC not letting them setup eyeinfinity triple screens? Mine use to work with iracing.
    Card is a AMD6970 - i've got all the correct port connections.
    I've read the entire interweb looking for answers - deleted drivers/added drivers/deleted folders/altered files
    (and i hate that :):):):) cause i'm not good with it)
    Keeps telling me that i already have an extended screen setup(even after i've reset it) and when it askes if it is "correct"
    and i say "NO!" it just ignores me....?
    I have a feeling i will need to upgrade the card anyway to get descent frame rates but want to try ther old one first.
  13. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Hi Joe,
    Have you tried using the Display Driver Uninstaller FOUND HERE which should wipe your graphics drivers completely from your computer, ready for a fresh re-install of the drivers?

I had an issue with my GPU early on in AC (not triple-screen issues though) and after running this DDU program and re-installing the drivers it worked fine after that.

Note that it is recommended to run the app whilst in Safe Mode - booting up Windows in Safe mode and running the app, then choosing the Clean + restart option....which will remove all graphics drivers from your PC and then restart your PC.
    When the PC restarts it should want to install GPU drivers as Windows will detect none are present.

It is worth creating a system restore point before attempting this, just in case.

Hopefully this may help...
    WAC likes this.
  14. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    Thanks Dave.....i had reached my wits end - like i said, i'm not good with this sort of stuff.
    I think the two years spent with my wife using it had got the poor thing in a loop.
    When i finally got it back in the rig it didn't like being hooked up to 3 screens...no matter what i tried.
    Finally pulled it out and took it down to the guy's who built it and we hooked it up so i could show him what it was
    doing - well :):):):) me if it didn't straight work!!...i felt like a complete twat lol. Honestly he did nothing i had not done.
    Only thing i can think is that different screens made the software recalibrate itself?

Anyway i can report my i5 2500 with 12GB ram using a AMD6970 runs AC in triple 5760x1082 sweet as !
    Playing with the settings atm to find a balance but with 11cars on track i'm still pulling 50FPS (does drop to 38's thru the stands)
    I'm in love again:D
    AJ.Scott and Anon666 like this.
  15. DoogleDave

DoogleDave Team Driver

PSN ID
    DoogleDave
    Good stuff Joe.
    You will likely find that the modded tracks are worse for frame rates compared to the genuine Kunos tracks which seem to be optimised far better.
    I experience a similar issue in dropped fps in certain sections of track on some of the modded tracks - but on the Kunos tracks its relatively stable.

It must be very sweet running triple screen setup. For now I'd just be happy with finding the time to get on and play the darn thing, LOL.
    All in good time I guess...
    Enjoy the new setup! :thumbsup:
    WAC likes this.