QLD Kart Track Shut Down

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pringles_947, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Pringles_947

Pringles_947 Team Driver Gold Member

Hi Guys,
    The local karting track (Xtreme Karting) in SE QLD has been forced to shut down until further notice due to noise complaints. We are trying to raise support to show how much of a positive impact this track has had on the community.
    Please join this group to show you support if you wish.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2919786098280388/

This is the location which has hosted our QLD ROOZ Kart days since 2016 where we have been able to meet and pretend we know how to drive in the real world. I have enjoyed trying to get as many people from here to come down regularly for the enduro series they do, and have also been able to invite people I have met at the track into the Raceononz community.

If you do not have facebook but still wish to support, please feel free to post here and ask me to relay your post to the support page. Otherwise, feel free to share any memories, stories and supportive comments here.
    [​IMG]
  2. Pringles_947

Pringles_947 Team Driver Gold Member

Our first Rooz Kart Day was mega. @incey and @JonoStan96 jumped on a plane to get here. Incey and I had quite a few beverages the night before the race. @Anon666 created the legendary ROOZ Kart day Cup, which currently is held by @Sam D Blacklock who has been regularly maintaining it and has ideas to add to it.
    [​IMG]
  3. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
  4. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    Sorry to double post.

There's a lot of misinformation in the comments sections of both Speedcafe and the Facebook support page.

I don't wish to reign on people who are mourning - as I am mourning too because I liked the facility and the track and the memories - but it's quite clear from the judgement that the karting facility was operating "illegally".

https://archive.sclqld.org.au/qjudgment/2021/QPEC21-033.pdf

Read paragraphs 1 and 2 for the background, which is that the facility was established without the correct permits in 2013, and only after an enforcement notice was issued in 2014 did they seek permission from Council. Approximately 2 years after that (2016) Council conceded to allow the karting track, but the fact remained that the facility was in breach of the relevant planning laws. The fact that the Council changed their mind and wanted to keep the track from 2016 onwards does not mean the planning laws stop taking effect (see paragraph 17 & 18).

Finally, 2 of the 3 people who complained about the noise lived there decades before the facility was built. The first person lived there from 1996 which is almost 2 decades prior (paragraph 34), and the second lived there since 2003 (paragraph 35).

That's all I need to read really and I stopped there. The decision wasn't made because of noise complaints; it was made because the facility was 'illegal' in the sense that it breached planning laws since the beginning. This could have been avoided if the original owners (if the current owners bought the facility) or the current owners (if they were the original owners) got the correct approvals with Council before purchasing. The Council actually supported the track from 2016 onwards (the past 5 years) and supported the proposal during the hearing.

EDIT: Paragraph 239:
    "However, for reasons unexplained,the Council has apparently been content to allow the deliberate breaches of planning law on the subject land to continue.It has acquiesced in the continued unlawful operation of a motorsport facility on the subject land since it issued an enforcement notice on 17 October 2014. The unfortunate attitude of the Appellant as a corporate citizen carrying on business in the City of the Gold Coast, and the even more troubling attitude of the Council as proper guardian of development rights and amenity expectations in the area, are not immediately relevant to the merits of this application."

Clear as crystal. The facility was illegal.
  5. tezpez85

tezpez85 Professional Gold Member

What the actual f***!? The place is in the middle of paddocks!!!

I have such fond memories of Xtreme Karting. I was looking forward to coming back up there and competing in some Enduros. This is an absolute outrage! The entire council for that area should be sacked.

@Pringles_947 please relay my message as I'm not on Facebook.
  6. tezpez85

If there is anything else I can do to fight this gross injustice, please let me know
  7. tezpez85

What, are you the guy setting up a rival facility with the "correct" permits?
  8. Noxrai

Noxrai Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    Noxrai
    Very sad news. I just missed out on doing my free birthday drive.

Not sure what their options are but I hope they can work things out with community and council.