Thrustmaster Thrustmaster T500 RS - Problems and Fixes

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by OuttaAngst, Mar 1, 2013.

1. OuttaAngst

OuttaAngst Rookie

So I bought one of these via amazon late last year. It has been a great wheel so far (I am using it with the Fanatec Club sport pedals (v1)).

Recently I noticed that my shifter was double shifting, which apparently is not uncommon for this wheel. The internal switch was 'flickering' ever so slightly so this caused iRacing to occasionally double shift up. Which is annoying. Eventually the switch could fail completely.

I wanted to write down my experience so that 1. I can remember what I did if it happens again. 2. It might help someone else.

So I ripped the wheel apart and found the switches were something like this:
    http://australia.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/3786757/
    Specs:
    12x12mm base
    7.3mm total height
    ~280g grams of weight required to make the switch click
    Normally closed circuit (On when doing nothing). When clicked the switch turns off

The switches are soldered onto a little circuit board, I was planning to buy some replacements and solder them on myself. I contacted Thrustmaster to find out the specific details of the switches they used in the T500RS, they didn't tell me. However they did send me a couple of replacements, even though I bought the wheel internationally. Top marks for Thrustmaster. The replacements they sent me included new tactile switches soldered onto PCB's with lead wires. So I just had to plug the new switches in and thats it. The new switches felt like they were softer than the originals (less than 280grams of force required to click them) however I didn't test them. The were also supplied with slightly longer springs for the flappy paddles. The shifters work great again.

I still have the old switches on the circuit boards, I will look at trying to fix the one that was playing up so if I encounter the problem again I can fix it for $1.