PlayStation URGENT!!! PS3 SOFTWARE ISSUE!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Systems & Troubleshooting' started by JonoStan96, Feb 12, 2013.

1. JonoStan96

JonoStan96 Legend Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    JonoStan96 (J.Stankowski)
    Guys, I'm in absolute dire straits. After listing to some Phil Collins on my console, my PS3 went nuts and told me my system software cannot be run correctly. After downloading the correct update from the computer, I have now tried to put the system into safe mode. Now, it tells me to connect the controller using the USB cable. But the controller will not respond. Please for the love of all that is holy help, I do not want to lose my data, or fork out $$$ for a new console.

Cheers, Jono.
    seth123 likes this.
  2. greendog

greendog Rookie

There is a reset on your controller flip it over and use a pin to press in the little button that will reset the controller but not sure on the ps3 have u googled it. Good luck mate and hope u don't loose all of Ur info on it
  3. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Thanks mate, i'll definitely try that tomorrow, I'll be pissed if I can't race anymore because of a :):):):)ing software problem. No use of my glorious G27 or PX5. How sad.
    seth123 likes this.
  4. stucar17

stucar17 Moderator Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    stuart170773
    Man, stig that sux great big ones.

I have no idea what to do, but I am sure there are a few on here that do.

Good luck with it, I must say I am waiting for mine to die, the kids give it flogging ....
  5. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    hey N64 ive hard its a problem with the systems molecules are out of alignment... to fix you willl need a ps3 energy polarizer which will align the molecules and ensure absolute performance
  6. WAC

WAC Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    i moved on..but damn it was fun!
    Hmmm - a energy polarizer? - i think you have been sitting too close to the TV again...

Hey Stig i know how i felt when my original 'fatty' PS 3 yplod'd durning the GT Academy so sorry to hear you have issues - plus the fact the league competition was just starting to get interesting!
    Is the system the new slim model or the fatty?
    You can't save your game file onto a USB?
  7. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Slim version, August '11, 160GB. I cannot save my data to the usb because I can't get to the XMB menu.
    seth123 likes this.
  8. M1K1_D

M1K1_D Miki D

Stig64, I hope you have been backing up your data. So, if the worst happens you don't have to start from scratch.
  9. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    Probably a good reminder for everyone to be backing up their game data on a regular basis.
  10. beannie84

beannie84 Rookie

PSN ID
    beannie84
    hey stig - this isn't good.

the wireless controllers wont work in 'safe mode' which is why you need to connect it via usb.
    if this isn't working, i know it sounds dumb, but have you tried another controller, and have you tried another usb cable? remember to also press the PS button once connected via usb.

as for data - i'm pretty sure if you try the update it's going to 'clean out' your system (format) to install the system files again.

i don't know if it's possible, but have you got a friend with a PS3? if so, try asking them to back up their own data onto external drive, and maybe swap your hard drive into their PS3. It's hard to tell if its your hard drive thats failed or the actually PS3.

If your drive in their system works and you can see your data files, find another PS3 for yourself and your fixed!

if you cant see your data in their system, then all may be lost if you have no backup :(

i'm sure there's something floating around the net about this as its gotta happen to everyone (unfortunately) as things get older.
  11. ENFORCER_98

ENFORCER_98 Lead Foot Boffin

PSN ID
    ENFORCER_98
    putting your HDD into another PS3 will just result in the PS3 formatting it anyway because of the motherboard exclusive codes and what not so yer as i said before its a molecule alignment problem you will need a genuine peter brock energy polarizer which will align the molecules and cost you $350 for a genuine one
  12. Clevohead

Clevohead Taswegian Ambassador Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Clevohead
    12gb PS3 Super slim with GT5 $229 at DSE with "click and collect" here.
  13. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Stig, I had an issue with my console some time back and ended up resetting the whole operating system on it. By doing that you go to a clean version of your original software up to the version last updated.
    Now, it's not as bad as it sounds, you can save and get everything back but it is a lengthy process, but this are the alternatives: a. If you have a USB hard disk that your PS3 recognizes you can make a complete backup of your console and reset the OS.
    b. you can follow the process below:

1. Backing up all your games progres (you can do that on a regular USB memory, they are not very big)
    2. Resetting your software to the default OS
    3. Restore your games backups
    4. Configure your wifi and other console settings (take note of them before you reset the system)
    4. Downloading from the playstation store any games or packs you have bought online(you don't lose them, there is a list you can check from your profile to download them again)
    5. For GT5 as well as for any game, a soon as you load the game it will download all updates.

I'm not home so I can't see the console to show you all the menus, but if you want to go quad with this, let me know Incan check.
  14. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback, I think there is a slim chance of redeeming my data now, i'm no longer as worried as I was before. Though I still can't get to the XMB menu.
    seth123 likes this.
  15. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

Cant u connect the controller with the PS3 USB charge cable? Or did you try that and it still didnt respond?

Phill Collins eh? I dont mind Phill Collins but yea I wont be sticking any music CD,s in my PS3. I have the excact same model PS3 as you.
  16. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    Ok, i've managed to get into the safe mode. I have 2 usb's with the update data from the sony website, but i'm unsure if they're compatble.
    seth123 likes this.
  17. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    After I found the original usb cable.
    seth123 likes this.
  18. JonoStan96

PSN ID
    It works!!! IT F*****G WORKS!!!!!!!

I restarted the console a few times, and that seemed give the console a kick up it's sorry arse. Thank you to everyone who offered their help and assistance, I uploaded some pics of my calamity on FB but even still you guys were far more helpful!

Many Thanks! Jono
    seth123 likes this.
  19. Darko

Darko Professional

PSN ID
    xxDARKOxx
    Well done, no more Phil Collins for you or your PS3 :lol:
  20. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    my ps3 started looping on startup and it was saying "system did not shut down correctly " then do a data verification, then shutdown and start over again with the same thing. was a bit puzzled by the problem then i thought it could be a overheating problem ( even with a cooling stand ) so i shut it down and gave all the vents a good hit with the trusty dyson ( vents were quite blocked with dust ) and after that it started up ,did the file check and has been fine ever since. just my 2cents worth.