PCARS Project C.A.R.S - General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    first impressions, fired up Pcars and had a quick explore through the options screens. Wow there are sooo many options, between graphics and ffb I've got some serous googling to do lol. Ui seems very good well layed out and simple to navigate. So after a quick look around I thought I'll have a quick look at the career mode before dinner. Something basic to have a bit or fun with, I know I'll have a crack at the go karts. Set race length to max (10-15 laps) AI to 100% ( game is in pro ) How mistaken my expectations were ! This was a tuff orientation so say the least, Ai is ruthless, and the little 125 shifter kart feels great, quite challenging and with many restarts I could find myself getting into a groove. The nimbleness and twitchy feel felt very authentic, especially that feeling you get in a go kart when you get further into the steering input you can feel it start to pitch as the steering geometry changes. Like I said, these are first impressions and they are good !
    Footlong_warrior and JonoStan96 like this.
  2. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    PSN: Ryzza5 / Steam: Ryzza5
    Glad to hear these +ve reviews not just from press/websites but from skilled sim-racers as well.

DriftOz, if you like, feel free to PM me some more info leading up to that crash (there may also be a debug file in Documents\Project CARS) and I can post it in the WMD forum. If you right-click a Steam game and select Verify files that usually does the same job as reinstalling, without installing everything again.
  3. leeboy910

leeboy910 Professional Gold Member

PSN ID
    leeboy910
    The only qualm I have so far is the AI. They are like Pastor Maldonado after about six shots of espresso...you clearly have a corner and they'll just turn in on you. Slightly annoying, but other than that, I'm pretty happy so far.
    The cars feel really good, sound good and the whole experience is very much what I expect motorsport would be like. Even got a bit of a fist pump on when I nabbed pole!
    Really glad this game has delivered...I was quite concerned for a while, but I can happily say my concerns were for nothing.
    I'm really loving the fan chat thing too...such a neat little idea :)
  4. MADCAP

MADCAP Rookie

G'Day fellas - Just bought Project Cars via Steam - looking forward to testing my Sim skills on this game, been racing iRacing for a while & Assetto Corsa and looking to try something fresh... Anyone using a Fanatec Wheel setup please give any details for setup if possible - Cheers
  5. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    Sen - Off
    FF - 100
    The rest are default. Calibrate wheel rotation and it's pretty good out of the box. Can increase Tyre Force (FF) in game and/or per car (car setup)
  6. Driftoz

Driftoz Team Driver Gold Member

@MADCAP i also have sen-off and FF-100 and rest default too feels good to me.
  7. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
  8. Crunch

Crunch Professional

PSN ID
    Torque_Tuition
    I happily spent over 6 hours racing go-karts exclusively last night.

Cause I'm hard as, I was like Cyber_Stig and put everything on 100% and turned off Automatic Clutch, yet still managed to win consistently. After going through the Kart Nationals without a problem, I was starting to get a little concerned about the AI. They were 3 seconds off my pace consistently. It ramped up with you get to the International Championship, though the AI was still very slow. The only time I'd lose is when I ditched it, and needed to grab reverse with the clutch. Third race in the International I believe, is Dubai, and I blew my go-kart engine after having to reverse 3 times, lol. The races are an absolute joy, as the AI defends extremely well - definitely not relentlessly, but by God, the hardest I've ever seen in a console game. The AI are so difficult to pass sometimes, and noticeably slower than you, that you often run into them, and it causes them to cease all steering and take you into the dirt with them until you cease contact. Hit them hard enough, and your front end goes flying. It's mindblowing when it happens in the first race, but after you've done at least 300 laps in these karts, you realise it happens all the time.

There are some problems I'm finding though, even after launch day patch. There's a key exit ripple strip on Dubai where you accelerate over it, and your kart VISIBLY slows down, but the speedo continues to climb higher, then when you leave the ripple strip, your kart VISIBLY launches itself to where you should be on the track according to your speedo.

My wheel rotates after the race for some reason, then resumes at the 0 position before the race.

You can't save your HUD element locations. Every ROUND (not race) you have to pause and re-allocate them.

I had the game/console spit out my Project CARS disc in the middle of a race. It took a long time to get it to accept it again, as I think the system thought that the disc was still in there.

Having to turn on and off my controller to type words is very irritating.

Found a few typos.

There is no 5 points in karting for fastest lap, even though the rules stipulate so. It only comes in when you get a one-off invite to the event in November.
    -

I also can't work out how to add the helmet asthetic to the visuals. I thought 'Vignette' would be it, but nothing comes up. The button allocation at the offset is also a little strange, and I didn't realise that I turned off my HUD by pressing a button one race, so I did the round without it.
    -

So anyway, after becoming an unbeatable karting legend, I turn up to the Road Entry invitational in the Caterham. After hours of karting, it feels like you've really earnt that spot, and it's an incredible feeling just sitting in the car. I think this is BRILLIANT, because often games would just shoehorn you into cars at a super high speed progression. And this is the true testament of the game. I mean, there are issues here and there, but the fact that in a console game, you can talor SO MUCH to EXACTLY how you want to play means that in theory, everyone's expectation of gameplay or progression can be realised. I want it to be a super slow grind of a career, and I got it. It's an incredible power in your very hands, and I think it's precisely why the game is so alluring. It doesn't force amateur racers to test their abilities, and so much as is possible, doesn't compromise for hardcore racers who don't want it to.

Anyway, first practice in my first car after hours, and I find the car extremely difficult to drive. Because you didn't have to clutch in the go-karts, it was a huge step-up, and after the second corner, I spun out, and had a super epic moment of just sitting there wondering why the car seems to be broken, only to have a huge epiphany and press the R3 button on the lower right on the T500 to start the engine again after I stalled it, and I saw the revs come to life. It was :):):):)ing awesome, hahaha!

So that's where I'm at now. Gonna get an allen key and change my TH8RS to the H-pattern and then use all of that 30minute practice session just to suss out how to drive the car around the track, let alone beat anybody on 100% AI, lol. I'm finding that you really need to heel-and-toe in this car otherwise it'll throw you off big time. I hope the relentlessness of this alters by car as well, otherwise I'll grow tired of it.
    -

Needless to say, I haven't been this impressed with a racing title since V8 Supercars and F1 2011. It's about time we had something like this on console. 10/10 IGN.
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Ad2mny, Cyber_STIG_77, Ryzza5 and 2 others like this.
  9. ocat1979

ocat1979 New Recruit

It's under camera options, in the visuals section
    Crunch likes this.
  10. Ryzza5

Ryzza5 Professional

PSN ID
    Just in case you haven't cycled through, there is a Cockpit view, and a Helmet view. The helmet view is the only one where you can have look to apex, TrackIR, VR, DOF (depth of field, blur), etc. You can turn the helmet overlay on/off for helmet view if you want those features but don't like the overlay.

11. MADCAP

MADCAP Rookie

I cranked up all the visuals to mac on PC and got an error myself similar: was on another forum and someone said try this in future:

Whoa!! No you don't you can just delete the graphics file.

Profile: \<your Steam folder>\userdata\<your user ID\234630\local
    Graphicsconfig: \My Documents\Project CARS

Funny enough i did what you did deleted the content and in the process of re-downloading - FFS its friday not Monday LOL
  12. Anon666

Anon666 Destitute Gentleman Driver Team Raceonoz Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    Anon666
    Whoa, who's this guy!!?? Long time no see Snake, how's is going man?!?! Not sure what Fanatec stuff is supported on the PS4?? Thrustmaster stuff is fine apparently. When in doubt, go PC.
  13. Kobus Maree

Kobus Maree Rookie

not sure if this is posted somewhere

If you would like more online action, change the steam download settings - the game currently defaults to online games in your area only

Steam-settings-downloads-download region
    (set to UK, USA or Germany for example, and notice the number of online lobbies)

I tried a UK and German one, and lag did not appear to be a problem...

cheers
    S_CLOSE likes this.
  14. Cyber_STIG_77

Cyber_STIG_77 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    Cyber77__
    Hey snake long time no see lol, thought you would be getting it on PC ? That would be the safest bet for compatibility and support.
  15. Driftoz

All fanatec stuff should work as long as you have the clubsport v2 wheel base with everything plugged into it
  16. Driftoz

17. disturboed

disturboed Damian Hall Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    disturboed
    Thats USD, so about $54-55.
  18. Peter Wise

Peter Wise Professional

PSN ID
    copperj32. Steam: copperj32
    If you signup with www.greenmangaming.com you can get if for $37.49 USD as a VIP. I got my copy for pc here and it ended up being $49 AUS
  19. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    www.greenmangaming.com still has it for 37.49 USD. With the PayPal rate I ended up paying 47.99AUD.
    Just sign up and go to the VIP section.
  20. S_CLOSE

S_CLOSE Professional

PSN ID
    S_CLOSE
    Lol.... Jinx
    Peter Wise likes this.