PCARS Project C.A.R.S - General

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by beau261, Feb 22, 2012.

1. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    I'm gonna stick my neck out here, with a high risk recommendation.

I've been playing the latest CARS build. It's physics have improved greatly over the past couple of builds. It's actually drivable.

I've been lapping Mt Panorama in a German touring car, and the enjoyment I'm getting from this is as good as any.

If you have decent PC, and a couple of buck floating around, I highly recommend becoming a team member, and trying this.

http://www.wmdportal.com

But please, don't come knocking on my door if you spend the last of your life savings, only to be disappointed.
  2. Mad94d

Mad94d Madison Down

PSN ID
    mad94d
    Yeah, I actually made the purchase last week and wasn't too disappointed.

Graphics are just jaw dropping, simply the best graphics I have ever seen in any game.....ever..... (although that may be topped by Assetto Corsa soon).

Physics, still very arcadey and inaccurate feeling but it's "fun". It won't be a sim, but for the pure epicness of the graphics it will be successful. At least now you can actually drive the cars around the track, it won't please the die hard sim racer but at least you can have a bit of fun on it.
  3. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Yeah I agree mad.

I think if the physics keep improving at the current rate, games like Gran turismo and forza will have some good competition.
  4. KoAStR

KoAStR Like a bowss Team Raceonoz Gold Member Super ROOZ

PSN ID
    KoAStR
  5. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    What's the cost for the beta (or is it still alpha) Beau? Does that roll into the full version when it comes out as with rF2?
    EDIT - i found it: from about $57 (45BP) gets you monthly builds access. more for weekly. potential for some return on this 'investment' when the game releases.

I see none of the content will be licensed vs. that Asetto Corsa game which claims laser scanned, fully liscensed with 'car performance and behaviour certified by manufacturers'

Mad/Beau, how is the 'input lag' situation with the latest build? I read that the physics are quite alot like NFS Shift2. I DL'd the NFSS2 demo on PS3 and didn't like it at all. Has this changed in the latest build?

The screens being pumped out at the GTP link and on the WMD/cars blog are phenominal. Seido check them out, there's pleny of your current favourite the Caterham 7! ;) Looks like there's alot of content in the current build.
  6. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Found a post on the ISI forums that gives a great comparison of CARS to rF2. here.

If you scroll through that thread there's some great vids too.
  7. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Initial thoughts. Tempting.

Vehicle graphics = spectacular. I ran at full tilt with no issues (or noticeable input lag)
    Post effects (motion blur, sun occlusion etc) awesome.
    Environments = honestly, when you stop the car (so no post effects) not much better than iRacing.. trees all 2D.

Sounds = epic

Physics = almost comparible to GT5 *almost* but not quite as good yet.
    Feels a bit disconnected from the road surface, with little or no front end or weight distribution/transfer feel. Obviously this will improve when they better implement environmental FFB effects (bumps from curbs etc).
    Tyre transition from slipping to gripping is too much of a step function. So you slide, slide, understeer, then all of a sudden grip and turn in. There's not enough gradual response to inputs during the transition so you can't get a feel for predicting when the grip will kick in. Improved tyre sound might help with this, ATM tyre squeal seems unfinished.

Fun. Impressive for a pre-alpha stage. Great potential, still needs significant physics improvement, but the eye candy factor makes it very tempting.
  8. beau261

beau261 Beau

PSN ID
    beau261
    Yeah....That's about what I think of it so far. Only my system isn't as good as yours, and I get input lag at full graphics.

Pretty good for a Sim still in Alpha phase.
  9. tekNique

tekNique Rookie

Im downloading this atm C.A.R.S Pre-Alpha Client v192 Is that playable? are they gonna ask me for money?
  10. basilenco

basilenco Rookie

I went ahead and made the purchase I thought it was pretty nice so far feels very much like gt5 which I like. I also tried rfactor 2 to compare but had to ask for my money back there were just to many problems with the force feeback at the moment. But will definatly look at it again once a few mods come out with full release
  11. SEIDO463

SEIDO463 Liam

PSN ID
    SEIDO463
    I just found out today that this game will be out on 360 & PS3 also. It's looking really good this game.

Who will be getting for either console?
  12. Juzzo

Juzzo Administrator Team Raceonoz Gold Member

PSN ID
    Juzzotec
    Most likely PS3 Seido :)
  13. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    Mmmm interesting.. I would consider getting this on PS3 as the console might be better suited to the plug-n-play style of gameplay CARS is leaning towards.

Since there was only two threads in the old Dirt 3 forum section, I've renamed it for general discussion and popped this thread in there. Will be easier to find then instead of amongst all the General Lounge stuff. Cheers.
  14. SEIDO463

SEIDO463 Liam

PSN ID
    SEIDO463
    How's it going koastr? so you think ps3 is the go for it? When you say plug and play, do you mean simple, quick menu's with limited gameplay option?
  15. KoAStR

PSN ID
    KoAStR
    yea good mate.

I mean just no setup worries.. turn it on, put the disc in, get playing.. not so much f*n around with optimising settings, updating drivers, all that BS.
    For instance it's taken me hours of fiddeling around to get rFactor2 optimised to a good look without compromising frame rate.

P.S. and by leaning towards this style of play I mean CARS is very eye-candy orientated, so in this respect should be well optimised by the developers for console.
  16. SEIDO463

SEIDO463 Liam

PSN ID
    SEIDO463
    ok I see what you mean now... cheers man.
  17. aussie_man21

aussie_man21 Moderator Team Raceonoz

PSN ID
    aussie_man27
  18. JamieFookes88

JamieFookes88 Jamie Fookes

PSN ID
    JLF131188 J. Fookes (GT6)
    Nice video. The graphics look good so far. I can just imagine what it'll look like when it's completed
  19. SEIDO463

SEIDO463 Liam

PSN ID
    SEIDO463
  20. Darko

Darko Professional

PSN ID
    xxDARKOxx
    Do you think this will make its way to current gen consoles or the next gen 720/PS4

Some Formula B at Mugello

[video]youtube.com/watch?v=kCukbDnsc1U[/video]